Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the history lesson! Love seeing how the gear has evolved over the years.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I knew the shoulder extensions of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender worked great, but I never appreciated the flexibility afforded by the knee extensions. There are legions of side-sleepers who would make good use of those. I guess someone who consistently sleeps on one side could get by with only two pads to insert in two of the four extensions, taking the unneeded shoulder pad on one side and moving it down to the knee section on that side.

Great group photo! (Thomas is "Bankheadboy".)
    Last edited by WV; 12-22-2023 at 13:00.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I knew the shoulder extensions of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender worked great, but I never appreciated the flexibility afforded by the knee extensions. There are legions of side-sleepers who would make good use of those. I guess someone who consistently sleeps on one side could get by with only two pads to insert in two of the four extensions, taking the unneeded shoulder pad on one side and moving it down to the knee section on that side.

Great group photo! (Thomas is "Bankheadboy".)
    Thanks, I knew he had changed it, but could not remember his new handle, only what I got to know him as: Ihangbankhead,

And I think you are correct about the flexibility of the Speer SPE. I guess if you flip flop all night, from 1 side to the other, you might need something in all 8 (4 on each side) sleeve sections. But honestly, even then, you might find that you don't need something in all of the top sleeves. IOW, your foot or knee or even shoulder might be covered by the bottom sleeves. In fact, it seems like they also sold a model that had only a sleeve for each shoulder(so 2) and a sleeve for each leg/knee/foot(another 2), or 4 total sleeves, rather than the 8 in the one I bought. And 4 has proven enough for me oft times. Plus, you can always stuff some clothing not needed for sleeping in 1 or more of those sleeves! Notice in this picture, in a Hammock Tent 90º hammock, how my right shoulder( and I am fairly broad shouldered ) is more than adequately covered by the bottom sleeve alone(top sleeve empty).

Same here, still in a HT 90º hammock, side position, notice that only my hand is not completely covered by the bottom sleeve, and I probably would not sleep with that hand up in the air like that.

Images
    Showing the use of the old Speer SPE in a JRB James River Bridge and Hammock Tent 90º made me think: Maybe I need to add that HT90 to the list of classics? Depends on definition of classic I guess. But, they have been out of business for a while now. So, there is no way of getting a hammock quite like this unless you make it yourself. And there have been times when I felt it was my favorite hammock. It takes some getting used to, but as far as comfort and ease of insulation goes, it is certainly right near the top.

It is different than other 90º hammocks in a couple of ways. One is: you don't absolutely have to have a pad. I can lay quite comfortably on my back, and MORE comfy than any other hammock in fetal position. With no pad at all, or maybe even with a short pad, either inside the DEEP pad pocket, or inside the hammock. With or without an INNER quilt in the deep pad pocket which will get compressed, and will not move. Either a pad alone in that pocket, or a pad/quilt combo.

The pad is needed if you want the hammock to have some structure and not have the weird sensation of the hammock collapsing into a very short hammock if you go to fetal position. But, despite that weirdness, it is quite comfy pad or no pad. And of course, getting coverage with a tarp is also wierd, but quite workable once you figure out what is going on. You only need about 6 or 7 feet (!) between trees, but then the tarp needs to be pretty "wide" to cover head end to foot end, due to the 90º orientation. And instead of a left to right swing when entering or moving, movement is head to foot. Again, weird. But, I got used to it, and comfort was great!

Here is a picture(socks over pant cuffs to prevent ticks) of me using a winter rated Thermarest inflatable(have to blow it up, 5.6 R value, very warm) Believe me, there is no such thing as shoulder squeeze with this hammock:

Here is a picture from the foot end showing a pad and quilt combo for deep, deep winter. Just look at that shoulder width!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-22-2023 at 16:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12