Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Classic UQ and/or combo UQ/TQ designs- do you still have one? Shout out to DGrav - JRB

I have been considering selling a lot of gear- which I almost never do- to make room for new gear! I am a gear head and just like to play with new designs, but the closets are too full- according to my wife anyway. Also, I could use the money to make relatively guilt free purchases of new gear which I don’t actually need.

Then again, I always regretted selling my 900FP Speer Pea Pod, which ALWAYS worked, never cold at or above the rated temps. And so easy to augment for even colder temps. I finally stopped trying to find one after I decided that my Superior Gear insulated hammocks were pretty close to the Pea Pod. But lately I have been having the urge to go on a selling spree and then replace every thing( I have so much gear that most goes unused most years) with some shiny new gear, that may or may not work even better. Thus, I have been discussing maybe selling my classic JRB MW3 convertible. I am copying a post here from that thread. This comes from the JRB guy DGrav:

Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    That convertible is a rare piece! I don't even have one. There were only a handful of those made and yours is the only one I've heard of in years.
    This may be my rarest piece of hammock gear, and it is a gem! Not only did it convert from a short UQ( 13 oz I think? ) to a full length, but it was a 900FP model. I have rarely used it overnight. I have used it on a lot of cold day hikes, in short mode. I hike in for an hour or so, then take a break hanging in my hammocks, either GE or bridge(JRB or WB). It never failed to keep me toasty those times. The only time I used it over night (that I can remember) was on the JRB UL bridge hammock(before the JRB James River which I also have now). It was a 25F night, and it worked to perfection. It was amazing to me to not have to worry about changing position, unlike sometimes with a GE hammock where a gap might appear. Wherever a body part landed, torso, head or feet/legs, there was always gap free insulation waiting for that body part. My only layers were cotton PJs( plus of course a JRB hood), and I slept snug all night. I had luxurious warmth, in all positions, head to toe, at 25F. And with very light weight which compressed down very small. Hard to beat!

I don't think it weighs much over 21 oz(? not sure) full length(EDIT: probably more like 23 oz) or 13 oz in short mode, and compresses down tiny what with the 900FP treated down. That is one reason I usually chose it(in short mode) 1st for day hikes, it was so quick and easy and light to stuff in my smallest pack. Also, once or twice, since this was back when Pea Pod use dominated for me, I would use the shorter, lighter foot section(EDIT: 10 oz?) to drape over my torso and a bit more inside my Pea Pod. This was to make up for the tendency(varied with hammock width and depth) of the hammock edges to lift up the top layer of the Pea Pod, leaving a gap of 1/2" to several inches. This little section of JRB would fill that gap flawlessly, making the pod actually a lot warmer on top than it's 20F rating. Or, if I was already plenty warm on top, I would hang the pod a bit looser and place that JRB layer under me between hammock and pod, increasing the loft from 2.5" to at least 5". Talk about abundant loft and warmth, Wowza! All of that loft inside a draft free pod, Guaranteed warmth!

Another classic that I still own after all these years is the very first model of the WB Yeti, which was synthetic. I consider this a superb piece of equipment, which came with removable layers of Climashield XP( one perm layer of approximately 2.5 ox of CS, with 3 more I can add or remove.) Past moderator Cannibal/Grant(RIP), before he got the down model, took this down to about zero or a bit below and was just fine. First 5º night was with no tarp in a snow storm(his net kept the snow off apparently). I have rarely used this, except with just the 1 perm layer of 2.5 oz CS( entire UQ weight was about 10 to 12 oz), sleeping in jeans and cotton T shirt(plus 45º synthetic TQ) and was plenty warm in the mid to high 40s. My son, however, used it(with a couple of additional CS layers installed) on his 1st ever night in a hammock, high in the Wind River Mountains, on a 27º night, and was toasty, as he was for the rest of that week long trip. And several nights since then at similar temps. How often does that happen for a 1st time hanger, in the wilderness, using an UQ and hammock for the 1st time? I was a bit worried, but he was toasty every night.

If being able to add/remove layers is not enough, there is a zip closed compartment, used for adding/removing layers, but there is a gap of several inches when done. So guess what you can stuff in there if desired? Almost anything puffy, for a huge amount of insulation. A parka, a thick vest, or the above mentioned foot section of the JRB convertible. Whatever might fill up that several inch gap under the 10 oz/sq.yd of CS. I can only guess that the warmth rating then would become WAY below zero F.

Lastly, I still have my Speer SPE(Segmented pad extender) as well as Speer hammock. This consisted of a nylon sleeve, in which you could stack up to 3” of 20” wide pads. The bottom layer had a small layer of some sort of material like shelf liner or what you put under rugs to keep them from moving. On the sides were separate sleeves for arms and legs, to which you could add either cut down segments of closed cell foam, or anything that you had- like clothing not needed for sleeping. PLUS, if you knew you would only be laying say feet right and head left, you might only need insulation in the sleeves on 1 side. I only used this(over night) 1 time, back around 2007 when I was still in a learning curve about how to get my HH Super Shelter to work up to it’s potential. I stacked a full length 5/8” thick CCF Thermarest Ridge something under an early 80s model 1” thick TR self inflating UL torso sized pad. Each pad had a 2.6 R value. It was a bit under 20F that night, and that was my 1st time ever sleeping- all night- truly toasty in a hammock at well below freezing. Plus, it never moved from under me and I rated over all comfort as not too shabby. Even if not quite as comfy as my HHSS or an UQ, way better than on the ground. And windproof, waterproof warmth.

I would add my HHSS as a classic, but I think you can still buy those. You can’t buy any of the above, at least not new.

So, what do you guys still have? Is it still working good?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-21-2023 at 17:28.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >I have been considering selling a lot of gear- which I almost never do- to make room for new gear!

Don't those new quilts from HG - 950 fill, 7D fabric - look enticing!
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >I have been considering selling a lot of gear- which I almost never do- to make room for new gear!

Don't those new quilts from HG - 950 fill, 7D fabric - look enticing!
    950FP? 7D? Wow! That is going to be light! Are the HG the ones with the shelves? I wonder how well that works with bridge hammocks? Anyone here using that combo? If so, how well is it working?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    BillyBob58 - I was just looking at their top quilts. Didn't follow the rabbit down to UQ's.

For serious hanging, I use WB Lynx for the UQ, but for day napping, a 3/4th length regular UQ works fine when the end cinch is opened all the way so it's like a flat quilt. I'm pretty sure it would work that way in 3-season weather. I stretch the suspension bungee across the spread bar ends. Note that Bill Townsend recommends a regular UQ but his bridges are unique because the spreader bars are inset from the hammock ends. He doesn't span the spreader bars; he attaches the UQ more as you would with a GE hammock so it makes more of a cacoon.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, what do you guys still have? Is it still working good?
    I have a 950 fill 20* UGQ Renegade TQ that still gets regular use. The Renegade was the high-end UGQ TQ 7 or 8 years ago when they had high-end and low-end (Flight Jacket) TQ options. The principle differences were that the Renegade was fully contoured and had a full differential which is not that common in traditional top quilts and a fully insulated footbox. But it was labor intensive to make, so in 2017 UGQ introduced the Bandit which provided some of the features from the Renegade but without all the bells and whistles in order to streamline the production and offer it at a lower cost. I have newer HG, Loco Libre, and DIY TQs that all get love, but my Renegade is the OG!

As a side note not directly related to classic quilts, I also have a DIY 1.3 oz ripstop nylon, netless, reversible, DL GE hammock in bright red and royal blue made by the one-and-only kitsapcowboy that I snagged from ObdewlaX a few years ago. We lost kitsapcowboy from HF around 2018/19, but he was an avid DIYer and a regular contributor on HF for many years and always willing to share his insight, perspectives, and advice. I haven't used the hammock since I started making my own that are tailored to my particular wants and needs, but it was that hammock that sparked my desire to try my hand at DIY (including DIY quilts), so it has sentimental value.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I dont have any of the classic gear but I love reading about it and seeing how the hobby has evolved over the years.

By the time I got into hanging its seemed to have all been more or less "solved" so I missed out on the fun experimental era!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    I dont have any of the classic gear but I love reading about it and seeing how the hobby has evolved over the years.

By the time I got into hanging its seemed to have all been more or less "solved" so I missed out on the fun experimental era!
    Glad to hear you enjoy reading about it! I think you are right, most problems with the transition from ground to hanging, particularly regarding how to make that transition and not freeze, have been more or less solved. But problems still pop up fairly frequently when someone goes the most most comfy as well as expensive route (down UQs and sometimes TQs) and is cold well above the expected comfort zone. When these same people were not cold using their well honed systems on the ground. But for the most part, some good advice from the experienced people fixes them up.

I started hanging on a 22ºF night 1st week of Sept 2006 and found and joined this site in Jan 07 I think. And yes, my 1st night using a HH Super Shelter I woke up shivering about 0200. That was user error and I slept fine the rest of that week. Nary a cold moment. But I was quite confused about how the thing worked even for a while after that trip. Learning curve. I believe there is one for most folks with most of the best down UQs as well.

I think that by the time I finally got an UQ, I had learned so much about how to make that HHSS work like a champ, and also later using a Speer Pea Pod(RIP, they have been gone for years), that I had zero problems with my UQs. All that I have tried worked for me to at least their rated temps. But, I'd say that the number one problem I have seen reported here over the years is center ridge caused calf pain in gathered end hammocks, followed closely by not near as warm as expected using a high quality UQ and/or TQ.

I never did get an UQ (just HHSS, or Speer Pea Pod, or pads helped with a SPE(Segmented Pad Extender, also by Speer) until I got one of the very 1st JRB Bridge hammocks. Though the Pea Pod was technically a Non Dif cut UQ( a UQ/TQ combo that was really a sleeping bag wrapped around the entire hammock, worked 1st time every time), it would not work on a bridge hammock at all.

Another problem with the UQs of that day was that they(like the Speer Pea pod) did not have differential cut. Though they worked fine as a TQ, the lack of a di cut made them even trickier to adjust right. A little too tight, and some or all loft would be compressed and warmth would be decreased a little or a whole lot. A little too loose, and a gap would develop and it was game over. Really tricky business! But about the same time as I was trying to figure out how to stay warm in that 1st edition JRB bridge hammock, JRB comes out with the 1st ever dif cut UQ, what is today called the MW4. Almost at the same time, WB came out with the same dif cut design on their brand new Yeti(synthetic, I got one of those as well) and a debate ensued about who was 1st. I don't know the answer, but they appeared on the market at almost the same time. Maybe sometime in 2008? Not sure.

Anyway, I got a JRB Mount Washington(there was only 1 model then, rated about 0ºF). I attached that baby to the loops on my JRB bridge and, Holy Cow, a glove like fit. Really nothing to adjust. And when I got in, it was snug against my body head to foot, and stayed that way no matter how I changed positions thru the night. Soon I had a toasty 27F under my belt at the 1st ever(2nd?) HF Sipsey group backpack in Feb, torrential rains followed by 5" of snow in North Alabama! At some point I had a very warm 10F hang using NO augmentation like space blankets/Vapor barrier etc such as I often do, an all time record(while remaining toasty, so I think I could have easily made it to 0ºF) for me at the time. (I had previously had a warm 10F in my 20F rated Speer Pea Pod, but I augmented with a space blanket underneath between hammock and pod) But I needed no augmentation, near it's rating, with this JRB MW UQ on a JRB bridge hammock which + perfection. (Of course, if I needed to get down well below it's rating, I could still add that space blanket or VB clothing and/or am UQP)

If you enjoy "southern boy trying to keep warm in a hammock" history, there is a bit more for you!

Images
    I mentioned the Speer "Segmented Pad Extender" as one of the long since unavailable classics(IMO at least). I had mine out playing with it a couple of years ago. The fact is, it just plain works. It does not move, allows the use of thinner pads, short or long, when the weather is not very cold, or stacking 3" of CCF or whatever kind of pad for below zero adventures. It only weighed a few oz. I have a feeling that if more people had tried this device, more would have stuck with pads. Or, maybe not! There is nothing to adjust, windproof, waterproof. Warm. And if for any reason, on a long remote trip, your quilt has failed you(wet, loss of loft, way colder than expected, whatever) your butt is saved.

My 1st night of my 1st hammock trip, I ended up on the ground after waking up shivering at 0200. That was all user error, but still, thanks above I had brought some minimal pads as backup. Also, sometimes(including that 1st trip) I camp above treeline, and must sleep on the ground for 1 night or so. So, for my 1st few trips until I got more confident, I took this along as back up. Not anymore, but I did for a while.
    Speer Segmented Pad Extender(some sleeves not filled on purpose, did not bother) inside single layer JRB James River Bridge hammock:

Side position, feet and knees on unfulled sleeves(did not bother to fill for this demo)

Images
    Here is that JRB MW3 convertible under a JRB James River bridge hammock. Can't you just tell that that is going to be a draft and gap free hang" That is because it is!

JRB 900FP MW3 Convertible in full length mode under JRB BMBH UL, no gaps, no drafts! JRB TQ.

Images
    No hammocks to show here, just people on the Feb 09( 1st ever HF/Sipsy Group backpack?) Sipsey Wilderness Group Hang/Back Pack. It had quit raining for a minute, and was about to start snowing, about 5" that night(unusual for AL). Low was 27 that night. On the far left is HF former mod Angrysparrow(Sam), he camped near my head end warm in a Speer Pea Pod. I can't recall all names at the moment, but I am in the red unzipped jacket, to my right is Skippy, Thomas(IhikeBankhead?) last one to my left, and 2nd from far right(at Thomas' rt shoulder) is Mr.Pres. (?) who drove up from the gulf coast to go on this hang. He hung near my foot end, warm in a HH Supershelter. And I was between Angrysparrow and Mr. Pres snug in the original JRB bridge hammock(BMBH), with a Golight TQ and a JRB MW4 under me, all under a JRB yarp. That was a really great hang! Fall Creek Falls, Sipsey Wilderness, North AL. Feb 09. Almost 15 years ago now! Wow!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-22-2023 at 14:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast