Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can tarp-poles be used for tarp pullout-mods or will they be too heavy (or any other issues)?

I got a journey tarp from Hammock Gear which has two pullouts on either side. I've been wanting to buy some poles for porch mode, but not wanting to buy additional lighter flexible poles for the pullouts, since in pullout-mode I won't need the poles for porch. Is this doable or will there be issues like the weight of poles or anything else I'm not considering? I'm in Europe, and buying from abroad costs a fortune in taxes, so most brands suggested here will likely be unavailable to me.

So I know there's no guarantees when talking about unspecified poles, but I'm assuming poles are more or less similar and shouldn't be that dependant on brand.

Never had poles before, so please give any insight or advice you have

Thanks a bunch

Edit: Photo taken from Hammock Gears website.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dinger-B2Z; 12-19-2023 at 20:03.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    It is possible to use trekking poles over the top of the tarp (like the tent poles in your picture).

I have done it using a prussik knot attached to a line tied to the pull out loop. Just be careful to not let the clamps on the trekking pole rest on the tarp.

There was a video on YouTube with directions for that. I will see if I can find it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Trekking poles can also be used for porch mode. There's a video for that as well, courtesy of (you guessed it) Shug. Here's the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GQPY5BuyPI

You imply that you will only be in porch mode or use the tarp pull outs but not both at the same time. If so, you can use your trekking poles for either mode and leave the tarp poles at home.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

I think it is doable, but you may have to make some adjustments and compromises. If you want to use poles for porch mode, you will have to detach the pullouts from the stakes and attach them to the poles instead. This will create some tension and angle on the poles, which may affect their stability and durability. You may also lose some interior space and increase the flapping of the tarp.The poles you use for porch mode should be sturdy and lightweight. They should also be adjustable in length and angle, so you can fine-tune the pitch and height of the porch. You can use standard trekking poles, which are widely available and affordable, or you can buy specialized tarp poles, which are usually lighter and more flexible.The weight of the poles may not be a big issue, unless you are very concerned about minimizing your pack weight.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    I've always been concerned with the trekking pole mod damaging the tarp, but it seems like a lot of people do it. When I first started messing around with porch mode and the side tie outs a couple of 6' bamboo poles worked in the backyard and car camping. Rather than putting the poles over the CRL I just used them off to the side using guy lines. I have since gotten the collapsible DAC poles running them over the CRL as show in the photo by the OP. For backpacking the Thunderfly is a bit lighter, but it does not have side tie outs and sometimes blows in on the hammock. When set up near the ocean condensation can be very bad so the superfly goes on those trips. For me the issue isn't internal space but keeping the tarp off the hammock/quilts because of condensation.
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

@Dinger-B2Z,

Hello. Merry Christmas.

Instead of carrying or purchasing specific gear for the Journey Porch Mode Tie Out, you can just use sticks/branches found at the camp spot. That is what I use when I backpack. I also use them for the Journey tarp side pullouts.

Bob

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    When I had a Journey, I’d bought the little HG poles for the pull-outs and exterior pole mod. I stopped using them much when I figured out that you can buy relatively inexpensive “replacement” generic aluminum tent poles and cut them down to the right length for an interior pole mod, rigging to loops tied to the tie-outs. It’s a lot more internal space, and adding an internal ridgeline and some prusiks was just basic cord work. I still use the pole with my Quest. I did get the pole mod done by the maker when I upgraded to a SLD Winter Haven, as the pole pockets do work better than my little loops (I hadn’t wanted to sew on my Journey). For Porch Mode, I just use my trekking poles.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    JollyRoger - I've seen some of the pole mods attached to the tie outs as you describe. What I cannot seem to figure out is the internal ridgeline. Did you have an internal loop on that tarp or have to use drip lines on the internal ridgeline?
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I just threaded the line through the loops holding the d-rings for the tarp ridgeline, with a taut line to keep it snug. Since the ends are under the tarp, I don’t need drip lines. A prusik loop or two help adjust the internal pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast