Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I can't imagine any damage potential if you put the poles above the ridgeline. They will never touch your tarp. But if you are worried that the hiking pole points might come in contact with the tarp fabric, I believe the poles come with caps for the pointed end. You could put those caps on when you use the poles in an external pole mod configuration.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder

Can tarp-poles be used for tarp pullout-mods or will they be too heavy (or any other issues)?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I can't imagine any damage potential if you put the poles above the ridgeline.
    It isn’t so much the ends that cause problems.

On mine, it was the clamps for the trekking pole height adjustment that would occasionally touch the tarp if the poles were not balanced just right or if the wind picked up. I had to be sure to turn the poles so that the clamps were on top and balance them in such a way that the clamps were several inches from the ridgeline.

I did not have any damage. But I was careful about placement because I saw that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    It is possible to use trekking poles over the top of the tarp (like the tent poles in your picture).

I have done it using a prussik knot attached to a line tied to the pull out loop. Just be careful to not let the clamps on the trekking pole rest on the tarp.

There was a video on YouTube with directions for that. I will see if I can find it.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't use trecking poles, but could just as well buy a set instead of tarp poles. The only issue I imagine tho is that trecking poles are way shorter than tarp-poles. This might not be a non-issue, but from pics and vids I've seen of both, it doesn't look like one can get "true porch mode" with trecking poles.

Thanks for all the replies, very informative

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12