WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Best cordage for becket hitch?

Hey guys, quick question for you..........Im experimenting with connecting a small diameter cord to a strip of fabric about 7 inches wide, using a becket hitch. I tried using a dynema type cord such as zingit, but its so slippery it tends to slip. Ive had good results using 1/8 inch braided nylon ( cheap stuff from walmart) but was looking for something stronger. This is for a clew hammock suspension. (Basically a diy version of the original exped scout, using the "teeth" and becket hitch technique that cross hammock uses to connect the clew to ends of the hammock body- very experimental, but looks promising so far! I saw something similar on the German hammock forums )Any other suggestions ? I love the becket hitch, how simple it is and how easy it is to adjust. But.......if I have to add other knots to keep it from slipping, that kind of defeats the purpose! So, Im looking for something light weight, strong, and that will hold well with a becket hitch ( and hopefully isnt too expensive!).
    Last edited by stevebo; 12-19-2023 at 18:36.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Several variations of becket hitch, have extra wraps or coils incorporated to increase its grip.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thx- I will look into that!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

beware, there's becket hitch and there's sheet bend. same topology, different thing, and different behavior. my guess is you're trying to use the sheet bend variant (so bending one strand of dyneema to one strip of fabric), and yes, it's hard to make that work with dyneema. however, if you use the dyneema as a loop, forming the "U" (or the object in the becket hitch), and use the fabric to form the "x", this will likely work (test carefully). this mean the dyneema will be loaded on both strands coming out of the knot, to make it work. i have used this to gather the ends of a hammock in a pinch, using a dyneema softshackle and the hammock fabric, and it does work, but requires some attention to get it set properly

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Some cords are made with two layers—an outer layer or sheath that might have a texture that grips better, and is less likely to slip. The inner layer or core might be stronger. The inner core could be individual strands, or can be braided similar to outer sheath.

• + New Posts