Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think if you are going to attach your tarp to anything even slightly moveable - like your hammock suspension line - you'd want to use a CRL to minimize any pull on the tarp ridgeline itself.
    I carry a #5 Hex in my kit.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
    Joe, good idea using boulders for stakes. That often does work well enough. I'm having a hard time visualizing "There is your ridgeline for the tarp. We used simple larks head loops at appropriate points and tensioned the tarp with a three foot length of Zing-It and taut line hitches from the tarp tie-outs to each larks-head."
    I don't carry phones or cameras when out and about.

Imagine Yellow Zing-It tied between two trees. Replace those trees with big boulders.

Drape tarp over the Zing-It (Ridgeline) and put some prusiks or loops in the ridgeline to tension you split ridgeline (loops replace trees if hanging in the woods).

This evolved from hanging wet clothing over fires to dry out while on river excursions.

So, here is a video of a Rio Grande canyon.

Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 12-20-2023 at 17:45.

Gotcha Joe, I was confused thinking all the tie outs, including the corners had to be attached to the tarp ridgeline but you're just talking about the tarp ends near the doors. Sounds like I have a plan though now, CRL it is when I go bouldering!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Maybe this was already noted somewhere, but you could use a marlin spike to get an anchor point if you are not using a daisy chain.

I tried hanging from some boulders. Per the suggestions here, I used a continuous ridgeline to attach it which wasn't too bad but not as easy as setting up the tarp using split ridge line and attaching to trees. Also, I had to set the tarp much higher than I normally would. See the pictures.

hightarp.jpg

ridgeline.jpg

I was a little more than concerned with the tarp being so high because I was expecting rain and lows in the 30's, but it kept me dry inside and I was protected but the wind was buffeting the tarp more than normal.

I was concerned to find my pull tape have some abrasion on it. I had abrasion right where the tape comes off the boulder.

abrasion.png

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    As far as the height, why were you not able to drop the ridgeline of the tarp down to the same level as your hammock ridgeline?

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    As far as the height, why were you not able to drop the ridgeline of the tarp down to the same level as your hammock ridgeline?

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    The tarp ridgeline is almost two feet longer than the hammock ridgeline. I wasn't able to drop it lower because if I did the tarp ridgeline would be very loose. I am not sure if I did it right.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I would imagine that you could take up that slack by adjusting the tension on your ground stakes. Unless I'm missing something any slack gained from loosening the ridgeline could be taken up w/ a combination of guyline tension and maybe adjustment of the points of attachment where the tarp connects.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Those "Friends" - the cam-wheelie things - are way expensive. They were designed and enhanced protection for rock climbers - especially for shapes that wouldn't hold traditional hexes or stoppers (stoppers are the set in the lower part of the picture). They come in sizes - you don't have to buy a full set. I find a #5 stopper or hex has the most utility. If the crack was too small or too big for it, I either wouldn't want to hang there or wouldn't want to be carrying that sized gear unless I knew it would be used.

Remember - the further apart your anchor points, usually the higher you have to hang the hammock to get the best angle. We don't always find the ideal and LowTech suggestion that you can use the hammock suspension line for your tarp is a good one. Though I don't usually put shock-cord on tarp ridgeline suspension, I'd probably do it if I were connecting to my hammock ridgeline - because there could be movement. In diagrams, the tarp usually has a lower anchor point than the hammock. I like to set my tarp up as high as the weather will let me get away with it.

Remember - the lower hang the angle, the more stress on the anchor point, and just because it doesn't fail when you first get in it - doesn't mean it will hold throughout the night. So when you are messing around with something besides webbing around a tree, make sure it's solid or you have a soft-ish landing if it fails. This comes from having a faulty ground anchor with Tensa Pole. It was fine for about 20 minutes. Because it was unfamiliar ground and a little iffy - unpacked earth at the perimeter of a tent camp area - I made sure there was nothing hard and/or pointy under the hammock.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-02-2024 at 21:28.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Big blue monster
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I have a different question: How do you hang the hammock between the boulders? We often travel above the tree line in the Himalayas, and I have been wondering how I could do it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast