Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR

Strength difference between 8-strand and 12-strand Amsteel/Dyneema cord?

Hi folks! I just received shipment of some 7/64" Amsteel-Blue that I purchased from SRE Outdoor. Both SRE's website description for this rope as well as Samson's describe Amsteel-Blue as 12-strand dyneema, but I received 8-strand.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in terms of strength?

I am planning to make my own whoopie slings for guy-lines to anchor poles to support my hammock (see my thread on bamboo poles as I can't yet afford trekking treez). I may also use whoopies for my suspension (with short webbing straps on the trees when I hang from trees), so I want to ensure I have the best strength possible. I am worried that 8-strand will be less good at compression, which is what secures eyes in both ends of the whoopie sling - making them less secure.

20231217_125539.jpg
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    From the Samson website:

https://www.samsonrope.com/mooring/amsteel--blue

Size 7/64" (2.5 mm) changes from 12-strand to 8-strand construction. ISO strength specifications are for unspliced rope. All other strength specifications are for spliced rope.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Strength difference between 8-strand and 12-strand Amsteel/Dyneema cord?

Both work good. 1/8 is stronger than 7/64. But 7/64 is plenty strong enough for hammock whoopie slings.
    7/64 is the default diameter for hammock camping.
    I choose to use 1/8, I started with 1/8 because I thought extra strength was needed, but it is not needed.
    Some of my newer hammocks have 7/64 continuous loops on each end. I use them and have not changed over to 1/8 continuous loops.

1/8 is much easier to splice—at least for me. 1/8 is only a little more weight and bulk. Since amsteel whoopie slings are extremely light and take little room in your pack.

I’ve been know to put extra stress on some suspensions. Sometimes angle of hang is not exactly the ideal 30* angle. I do asbestos I can!

Edit Length of bury is important. If you splice your own amsteel, make sure your bury is adequate length. Watch several YouTube videos and follow their recommended length of bury. And browse Hammock Forums for length of bury guidelines.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-17-2023 at 16:55.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Thanks, y'all!!
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    MikeCD, In one school math class, the textbook included the answers to odd-numbered exercises so the students could check their work. Problem was, some of the given answers were wrong. That taught me, "Just because it's in print, that doesn't mean it's true." That the person writing the description could make an error between 8 and 12-strand would not surprise me given the "quality control" of today's world.

That rant aside, as others posted - 7/64 is completely adequate. A more significant issue might be handling. The thicker the line, the easier it is for me to deal with. It is amazing what that small difference between 7/64 and 1/8th can make. A Button Knot in 1/8th looks gigantic next to a button knot in 7/64th.

Before you go full bore with the whoopie style, you might want to consider the UCR.

Here's a link: https://tinyurl.com/63yt4f4r

The UCR uses less material and can be made so it has a "lock" that tightens if it starts the slip. TensaOutdoors uses UCR's for the anchor line of their support structures.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Cheers! I did start to look into UCR but as new as all this is to me it didn't really "click," but I'll give your link a shot.
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    My bigger concern is if 8 stands are less good than 12 for compression/friction force.
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    My pole stands are always being held w/ 8 strand, 7/64ths, UCRs. I used the Myers Tech version of securing the end loop of the shuttle. I've not had any slippage issues when I've "milked" the shuttle appropriately, and some times I'll have a stand like this up for months.IMG_20231218_131903635_HDR.jpg

"Sent w/o me knowing"

i personally consider 7/64 the bare minimum for suspension (because of the strength making it a bit close to the safety factor, and because of handling it by hand, especially under load; i prefer 1/8 or 3mm if possible.

having said that, the effectiveness of the burry comes from the angle of the weave, not the number of strands. afaik samson amsteel blue is known to be very tightly woven, so it holds splices well, bjt i haven't used it myself. the 7/64 in fact has the advantage over the 1/8 that it will require shorter burry when splicing, to achieve the same relative strength (not the absolute one, that's different). short version: it is fine, have fun with it, get to splicing

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    My pole stands are always being held w/ 8 strand, 7/64ths, UCRs. I used the Myers Tech version of securing the end loop of the shuttle. I've not had any slippage issues when I've "milked" the shuttle appropriately, and some times I'll have a stand like this up for months.IMG_20231218_131903635_HDR.jpg

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    What poles are you using?
    New to hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast