Dutch Falcon Tarp Review

TL;DR Ten out of ten! But it is specialized

I’ll add photos and thoughts once I get some time in the field, for now here’s what I just posted on Dutch’s site:

”This deserves reviews! My initial impressions are great, what a clever tarp design!

Make no mistake that this is a minimalist tarp, you need to be comfortable with dialing in setup and maybe even middle of night adjustment as conditions warrant. It is like a trimmed down hex tarp, with a little bit pointier angles at the ridge line connections and strong cat cuts on the sides.

In exchange you get great quality construction, 4.5 oz on my kitchen scale with generous stuff sack, better weather coverage than a traditional parallelogram asymmetric tarp, and a great price for a dyneema tarp. I may use the stuff sack as a ditty bag for electronics in my backpack, sort of a two-fer. I look forward to spending time in the field with some weather, and plan to come back with further impressions and photos.

You also get a good go-to-ground wonky half pyramid option in addition to the usual A frame setup people use with hex tarps (which I’ll come back with photos to explain).”

A couple of additional comments, I’m a novice hanger but an experienced ground dweller in the woods, and skimpy tarps are all I’ve used for decades. So another skimpy tarp doesn’t intimidate me, but since I want to do more hiking out west, good go to ground options are important. I typically like half pyramid setups better than A frames on the ground, to block wind better. Playing with paper I convinced myself that hex tarps can become a wonky half pyramid, so long as the ridge line is not cat cut. At least, I haven’t figured out how to make hex with a cat ridge line work. At any rate, I’ve verified that the Falcon can be set up in the ground as I’ve envisioned, really with better coverage than I’ve used on the ground in decades. I’ll get photos to illustrate it.

What else? All six line connections are 1/2” beasties D rings in grosgrain loops. I’ll start with a continuous ridge line with prusik knots or similar to allow adjustment over the hammock. You won’t get much privacy with this tarp, so if that’s a requirement look elsewhere. At some point I plan to tie back diagonally opposite side tie outs so that its coverage will be identical to the Dutch dyneema asym, just for comparison sake.

If anyone has questions, fire away. I plan to get to the Uhwarries with it a couple of times this winter (details still being worked out) if anyone in the NC area wants to see it in the wild.

Hammock
    Superior, Dream
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    SG, HG, SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    It is a great tarp! I'm currently selling one but I cannot post it in Hammock Forums because I do not meet the minimum number of posts yet. It packs so small, is so light, and does offer enough protection.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That's a nice review. I have looked at it on the Dutchware site, but looking at the pictures, I couldn't quite wrap my head around the sides of the tarp, and how it actually worked.. From your review it sounds like the sides of the tarp have an angled cat-cut rather than the traditional curved cat-cut. That might be kind of cool.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dutch's video on it.
    Nice report on it from the OP.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Nice review. Thank you.

Would you mind measuring the dimensions of the "extra" panel of fabric? I might mod my Asym tarp with this - getting wet sucks.

I have family in town, so it may take a bit of time to lay it out and measure. I will add that a good bit of work was done to reinforce where the extra bits connect to the main asym. That looks well thought out, and probably took some experimentation on their part.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to do a review. I really appreciate the feedback as it either tell me I am on the right track or maybe I need to make adjustments. The Falcon tarp is minimalist tarp but what I was really trying to achieve is an affordable UL DCF tarp. It uses about 40% less than a hex tarp which is a big deal in DCF material.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hi Dutch, I think it will do exactly what I need, super light and small and cost effective for long hikes combined with the 1.2 oz Half-zipped I just bought. That it gives a couple of go to ground options including a wonky half pyramid sealed the deal for me. Thanks for the great products and creativity!

• + New Posts