Tarp Storage Question

Hi all, noob here. Just practicing setup in my backyard until I can get out there. One windy day that caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth was enough to convince me to get a snakeskin. I'm using prusik loops and toggles to attach my tarp to the ridgeline, and my question is: Do you all with a similar setup keep the toggles in/tarp attached when you're rolling it up and storing it? Thanks all!

Images
    I could see both ways being useful. If it’s not attached to the ridge line you could center the prusik loop over your hammock before attaching the tarp. That could be beneficial if it’s super windy and you don’t want to have to wrangle the tarp as much. I would say do whatever you enjoy the most. It the extra step of attaching the tarp is annoying just leave it attached.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are asking if I keep the ridgeline attached to the tarp in the snakeskin, yes, I do. What's more important is that the tarp can dry out completely before long-term storage in the skin. Like if it's been raining, the tarp is carried in the skin during the adventure. But once home, it is dried out before the skin is pulled back over it and stored.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    I keep my CRL on when using the skin for a tarp. The tapered side of the skin goes towards the hook side line. The side with the hook is usually much shorter than the CRL toggle/hardware side line. After getting the lines on the trees, pushing the skin towards the no hardware side keeps it from snagging on toggles and hardware. I figure-8 wrap the long line and tuck it into the collar of the sleeve with the draw cord. fold up the snake and wrap the short line around it to keep it together. The superfly gets the same treatment but also goes into a stuff sack which is easier for me with that tarp.
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    There are as many ways to hang a tarp as there are ways to hang your hammock or hang your insulation. Maybe more! I've experimented with a lot of different options and still find myself torn between different approaches for different circumstances.

For most situations, I have gravitated to a set up like you are proposing. My tarp is semi-permanently affixed to a CRL (I use Nama claws instead of prussiks) and it's all within my snake skin. To set up, I attach the ends of the CRL to two trees, slide the snake skin to one end to let the tarp drop, and move the Nama claws to tighten and center the tarp over the hammock. To pack up, I loosen the tension on the Nama claws a bit, slide the snake skin back over the tarp, remove the CRL from the trees to drop the whole kit together, and figure 8 the loose ends of the CRL. Everything stays together within the snake skin all the time.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Thanks, you guys rock!

Yes, I keep the toggles in tarp attached when I’m rolling it up and storing it. I think it’s better to have some tension on the tarp to prevent it from sagging or getting wrinkled.

• + New Posts