WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

Prusik method variation?

Just curious - could you replace the prusik loop with shock cord to account for any overnight sil nylon sagging? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
    Justin, aka globetruck

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    Just curious - could you replace the prusik loop with shock cord to account for any overnight sil nylon sagging? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
    Justin, aka globetruck
    Me again .... I use shock cord for prussics on my Speer Winter Tarp. That is what I had that day. They have held well. Don't thing they really help the sag too much though .....
    You can see them here in this video:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=148
    I think.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

Will this work?

Disclaimer: I've never hung a tarp and I've never slept in a hammock. Maybe I'm a sheer genius, but most likely I'm completely mad and delusional. That's for you to decide.

I hope the picture comes through...

Preparation:
    1. Tie one end of the ridge line to one end of your tarp (the "permanently tied" side).
    2. At the other end of the ridge line, tie a shock cord prusik. I'm guessing that about 3/16 inch shock cord would be OK.

Hanging:
    1. Hang your hammock like you normally do.
    2. Start with the end of your tarp that has the permanently tied ridge line. Position it over your hammock. At this point, your tarp is just sitting loosely on top of your hammock ridgeline.
    3. String your ridgeline around Tree #1, under the tarp, and around Tree #2.
    4. Slide the shock cord bungee and reposition it as necessary.
    5. Attach the shock cord bungee to the other end of your tarp by using an S-biner.

Would this work??? I have no idea how much a silnylon tarp typically sags. If having the shock cord only on one side of the tarp creates problems... I'm thinking that it might create some issues if the edges of your tarp are staked out using normal (non-flexible) rope... perhaps some odd wrinkles in the morning? But if that's the case, I suppose that you could do a similar shock cord prusik and S-biner on both ends of this rig.

If this works, I will go down in history as the first person in the history of hammocking to contribute towards the comfort and convenience of other hammockers -- without ever setting foot in an actual hammock. As such, I demand that I receive a free Warbonnet Blackbird hammock.

If this doesn't work, well, what do you expect from a newbie who's never slept in a hammock?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I bet you could make this work, but it has been stated elsewhere that having shock cord on the ridgeline may not be as effective as line tensioners on the side tie outs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    How do you tie your tarp up? In my early hangin' days, I tied the tarp ridgeline close to the tree, but the hammock line and the tarp line kept interfering with each other. A fellow hanger showed me a new way where you wrap the tarp line around the tree and back to the tarp, creating a "V" shape, which allows the hammock to run in the center, unobstructed.

This method can be accomplished with with full ridgelines or end lines. For those who prefer a full ridgeline, you can thread the line through the attach point on the tarp (D-ring, etc.) before looping around the tree to create the "V" shape.

I put together a quick illustration that hopefully demonstrates this technique. Just like there are multiple ways to attach a hammock (e.g., whoopie slings, Dutch clips, webbing, buckles, etc.) there are lots of ways to rig a tarp ridgeline (full ridgeline under/over; end lines; clipped to hammock line; toggles, knots, prusik loops, etc.).

With the "V" method, the hammock can move side-to-side without interfering or colliding with the tarp.

Thanks for making this a sticky. Being new to the forum I would have never found this great idea.

My question is how well do these slip knots (prusik or taut-line) hold in high wind conditions?
    And what if you add rain with that wind?

I've always hard tide my ridgeline for fear of things loosening in a storm.
    Nothing sucks more than waking up in a storm and having to get out of the warm bag
    to fix tarp lines.

Excellent illustration. Can't wait to try it.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-11-2010 at 00:10.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thanks for making this a sticky. Being new to the forum I would have never found this great idea.

My question is how well do these slip knots (prusik or taut-line) hold in high wind conditions?
    And what if you add rain with that wind?

I've always hard tide my ridgeline for fear of things loosening in a storm.
    Nothing sucks more than waking up in a storm and having to get out of the warm bag
    to fix tarp lines.

Excellent illustration. Can't wait to try it.
    With Prusiks if they slip, you just add another wrap. Once you find where they don't slip in optimal conditions they don't seem to move in bad conditions either. It also depends on your line. I haven't had a problem with prusiks sliding on zing-it once I get them dialed-in, but I have had reg. knots still want to slide a bit, but here's where the old saying of "if you don't know the right knot... tie a lot of 'em" comes into play. I also use a prusik to attach all my tarp guy lines to my tarp (Opie style), then if you need to tighten the guy lines up due to tarp stretch in the rain you don't have to leave the shelter of the tarp to tighten them up.

Here's a vid with some ridgeline options, some of which are very similar to the illustration.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    the one i have
    Tarp
    1 that works good
    Insulation
    USMC sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope
    Thanks for showing your rigging style

filman
    Last edited by filman; 12-11-2010 at 08:28.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Ok that as well as all your illistrations are always awesome espically being a visual learner myself. Their is just one simple thing I could use some clarification on though.

I like the continious tarp RL. On one side of the ridgeline is a dead eye and toggle. The other side is a prusick and toggle. On the prusick and toggle side I get the V shape. So in order to achieve the V shape on the other side just attach a continious loop (prusic knot) and put toggle through loop just like the other side instead of the dead eye loop, this will create a V shape on both sides correct . Think I got it but just like to think out loud some times. Well guess I got a continious loop to go and make and some tinkering to do. Thanks again for some great learning.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images

Tarp Blizzard Test

So far, seven inches of snow has fallen with moderate winds. Another six to ten inches of snow is predicted, with winds up to 35 mph, temperature of minus 3, wind chill of minus 35.
    The set up is a winter dream tarp with a pole mod, plus snaps. The ridge line is Speer anti tangle line, metal s-biner #1, plus a figure nine. The tarp tie outs are Speer anti tangle line, prusics, and HF line locs. The doors are secured with Arrowhead 3/32 shock cord plus HF line locs. Right now, everything is going very well but my concern is for the high winds.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images

Tarp Blizzard Test

The winter dream tarp past the test. It was more of a white out than a blizzard. The new snow total was fourteen inches with wind of 20 mph. The pole mod shed the snow without a problem and the line locs were great. I worked in interior Alaska so that with the right clothes, the cold is not that much of a problem. The long dark nights and short days was.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast