Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Been watching lots of videos! This site is so great for that.

Tying off on the tarp's D-ring would be an easy way to do it... but think I would like the option to remove the tarp, which the Dutch continuous line offers, courtesy of soft shackles prusik-knotted to the line. I could also use snakeskins to keep the tarp out of the way in case I don't want to use it, and I may go that route, though I'm currently stuffing the whole mess in a bike seatbag to transport -- snakeskins might just add bulk I don't need.

Lots of tinkering and fiddling ahead. Can't wait!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I like it! Thanks for sharing. Now, this seems like a good place to post a question about tarps that I've been wanting to ask. When using a tarp with side tie-outs, how many and what lengths of cord should one carry? I'm thinking about a Warbonnet Superfly for my AT thru-hike, and I don't want to carry more than I need to.
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Digi Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ +Burrow
    Suspension
    Lash-it,Prusik,SC
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunterwnc View Post
    Attachment 97765Attachment 97766

I use a knot bone on one end and go around the tree and tie off and the other end i use it to go around the tree and attach a nite ize figure nine caribiner which is hooked onto a stationary prussik on the ridgeline itself so that i can just cinch the ridgeline taut to my liking.
    This is what I do also, here is an Illustration that shows the use of Figure 9's and knotbones.

tarp-opie-style-2.jpg

Here is a Demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Bp1hoQ2I4

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post
    I like it! Thanks for sharing. Now, this seems like a good place to post a question about tarps that I've been wanting to ask. When using a tarp with side tie-outs, how many and what lengths of cord should one carry? I'm thinking about a Warbonnet Superfly for my AT thru-hike, and I don't want to carry more than I need to.

I'm curious too. I made my lines on site as needed. I am replacing them with zing-it and found some are 12 feet others are 6 feet. I think more is better.

What is the average length ? 8',6', or 12'? I know some use two 12' for porch mode. I have 8 guy lines and 4 side pulls.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images
    New to tarps... I understand the different types of pitch with full ridgeline (under and over), end lines, and so on. What would you suggest though? My thought would be to use full ridgeline under the tarp if snow is expected.
    Is there any other consideration that should be taken into account when choosing which pitch type?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    New to tarps... I understand the different types of pitch with full ridgeline (under and over), end lines, and so on. What would you suggest though? My thought would be to use full ridgeline under the tarp if snow is expected.
    Is there any other consideration that should be taken into account when choosing which pitch type?
    If your tarp has a cat-cut ridgeline then the under won't work as well as the over. It would still work but not as well. There's also the possibility that rain (or melting snow) could migrate under the tarp and drip on you but that can be solved by tying a drip line just inside the tarp on each end.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    I use a full line under the tarp. It gives me a line to hang my coat etc on that's protected from rain. It also provides more stability in wind.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I carry a 50 ft hank of REI utility cord on a plastic kite winder - UL'ers shudder - that's because in the PNW we have a wide range of large-ish tree diameters. I connect the line to the tarp, going around the tree, back down the length of the tarp (after going through the same mini-biner connecting to the end of the line), around the second tree (after going through the mini-biner at that end) and back to the tarp to connect to a figure-9. In the summer, I run this above the tarp. My poles for external pole mod go over the ridge line.

That setup also allows me to make a slight adjustment for better tarp placement by just pulling on the line - no need to disconnect/reconnect both ends. I do appreciate the simplicity of have a line already attached to each end - but I like the certainty of my situation and a little extra utility cord, in case I need to cut off a piece, is fine.

In the winter, for more support from snow, I'd be more prone to run it under the tarp. Also, in winter, I'm not concerned about rain having a path along that ridge line under the tarp. If I did that with expected rain, I'd have a TESTED rain block on the line.

People have mentioned concern about the tarp rubbing on the "under" ridge line but if you hang even a little thing on it, it usually pulls down enough that there isn't so much rubbing.

But heed the point about a tarp with a cat cut ridge line. The ends, by nature of the cut will be a bit higher than the tarp body itself. So "under" wouldn't work as well. But don't confuse cat cut sides with a cat cut ridge line - two different things; apples and carrots.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-16-2019 at 13:59.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    Great thread!

I have set up my tarp (AH 12 ft Hex) to use the "V" configuration, but set up differently to previously mentioned. The AH tarp has a grosgrain ribbon for the ridge line with two small "D" connectors. I therefore chose to use two end lines to suspend the tarp from the trees. Each end line is made from Lash-It with a spliced loop on one end that is larks headed onto the "D" connector. The end line is run around the trees, as shown in the diagrams previously shown in this thread, then run through the loop in the Lash-It and pulled back towards the tree to tension. It is simply tied off with a Becket hitch on the loop it ran through. The knot and adjustment is identical to how I suspend my hammock, except this is a "V" and the hammock uses a tree strap with a single line from the tree - just one knot to remember and one system to master adjustment of!

DSCF0047.jpg
    DSCF0048.jpg

The Becket hitch seems to hold well even on the slick Lash-It, but I have not tried it in a gale force wind. If I was ever concerned of it slipping I would simply employ the Safety Becket hitch, which I know will support my 200 lbs in a hammock with the equally slick 7/64" Amsteel Blue line to a 7/64" Amsteel Blue continuous loop.

I wrap the end lines and guy lines around the ridge line "D" ring/grosgrain and corner "D" rings/grosgrain ends for storage.

DSCF0050.jpg

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for cueing up this long lived thread. I looked back to the beginning. Those posters back in 2010 were the old-timers of HammockForums! I miss a lot of those folks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast