Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    IMG_20141026_083745_176.jpgIMAG2054.jpg

I use a knot bone on one end and go around the tree and tie off and the other end i use it to go around the tree and attach a nite ize figure nine caribiner which is hooked onto a stationary prussik on the ridgeline itself so that i can just cinch the ridgeline taut to my liking.

What a wealth of information. I am new to hammock camping and this forum has been so very helpful - a lifeboat on a stormy sea. Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Thanks so much for this thread! This weekend's trip will be much easier.

Only downside... whole new realms of camping bling to tempt me. (That Dutch site...)

Couple questions:
    1. Anyone who uses a continuous ridgeline -- are there downsides? Specifically, do you sometimes have trouble situating the tarp correctly, or have trouble with the line being too short if your available trees are large?
    I'd like to use a continuous ridgeline under my tarp to also suspend my homemade bugnet.
    2. Are shock cord loops basically just to keep tension on a silnylon or similar tarp that may stretch? I have a brand new silpoly MacCat that (hopefully) won't stretch... thinking I won't need shock cord.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    Thanks so much for this thread! This weekend's trip will be much easier.

2. Are shock cord loops basically just to keep tension on a silnylon or similar tarp that may stretch? I have a brand new silpoly MacCat that (hopefully) won't stretch... thinking I won't need shock cord.
    I like a little shock cord to act as a buffer between sudden stress on my tarp ( i.e. someone tripping over a guy line, or a sudden gust of strong wind ).

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I always used a small loop of shock cord on the ridgeline of my silnylon tarps to compensate for the stretch. However, with my Spinnaker and Cuben tarps, I omit the shock cord, but some allowance must be made for slight tree movement in a gust of wind.

Since the dyneema and spectra lines we use have zero stretch, I simply set my ridgeline with a slight amount of slack in it. When I stake out the sides, I pull the ridgeline tight enough that it's not flapping around.

With this type of setup, the system as a whole has some built in flexibility, which will prevent the the non-stretchable tarps from ripping.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Thanks guys! I think I might go with shock cord after all, for the just-in-case factor, and because I might want to use the Dutch bling with a different tarp in the future... been eyeing the ones with doors. Goodbye $$$.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    So I have another question -- I am eyeing up the Dutch continuous ridgeline with Dutch Hook and Wasp installed. But -- the Dutch Hook end wouldn't have the desired "V" configuration. Has anyone tried a continuous ridgeline with two Wasps, so that you can get a V on both ends? I'm thinking -- if the ridgeline still has a loop on the one end (just without a hook installed), I could position the Wasp, hook the end loop on it, then continue to the other side to finish it off with the other Wasp as shown on the Dutch site.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't use a coninuous ridgeline but you could tie a truckers hitch loop away from the tree a bit and connect the Dutch Hook to the loop. That should give you the desired V.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Good point. Will try that. Was thinking in terms of least knots possible... after pedaling for 100+ miles sometimes it's tough to remember how to tie knots. But that one ought to be easy enough.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    So I have another question -- I am eyeing up the Dutch continuous ridgeline with Dutch Hook and Wasp installed. But -- the Dutch Hook end wouldn't have the desired "V" configuration. Has anyone tried a continuous ridgeline with two Wasps, so that you can get a V on both ends? I'm thinking -- if the ridgeline still has a loop on the one end (just without a hook installed), I could position the Wasp, hook the end loop on it, then continue to the other side to finish it off with the other Wasp as shown on the Dutch site.
    Check out The Ultimate Hang youtube channel. He has a couple of videos on continuous ridgelines. Basically, use a long line (30ft) and loop around the tree and hook to the d-ring. At the other end, loop around the tree and tighten at the wasp that is on a small loop larks headed to the other d-ring. This maintains the V and let's you easily center your tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast