WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Line lok weight limit

Just curious......how much weight can a line lok 3 safely handle?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    If you google Lineloc 3 breaking strength, one of the results that comes up first is a post on this forum from Lawson Kline (of Lawson Equipment) from the time he used to be active here.

"First and foremost the Lineloc 3's were designed to work with 3mm cords. As such 3mm cords work the best with them.. This is the only diameter that will break a lineloc 3 (at the webbing cross bar at roughly 120lbs of tension) before slipping."

Here is the full post:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1806099

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thx! Any suggestions for alternatives to line loks?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Thx! Any suggestions for alternatives to line loks?
    For what sort of application?

Throwing a second shout-out to Lawson, how about his Bar Tensioner?
    https://www.lawsonequipment.com/products/bartensioners

or - Blake's hitch, Klemheist knot, Prusik knot, tautline hitch, trucker's hitch, ...

beyond those, there are myriad tensioning devices out there. Dutch probably makes a dozen or more different types, Warbonnet has TarpTicks, there's NAMA Claws, LoopAlien..... the mind boggles at the number of options!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 12-07-2023 at 13:16.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    Assuming this is for a tarp I'd rather have them slip than hold beyond the breaking strength of the fabric they are connected to.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I have broken the hooks on Linelocs with hooks and switched to Dutch's hookworms.

Images
    Perhaps this info is trivial, but only the LineLoc 3 LL (the "original") is designed and manufactured by ITW Nexus.

The Line Lock Hook, Line Lock V, Line Lock Light, and perhaps more varieties I'm not familiar with are made by other manufacturers, likely including Woojin Plastic.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but especially with the similarity in naming, it could be a bit misleading or at worst even a little deceptive.

Just some info, which one could expand upon with further research if interested.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Stevebo, are the locs/locks for the guylines or ridgeline? I started out with just knots (tautline hitch, prusiks) but it was too fussy and not fun in freezing rain. I switched to Nite-eze Figure-9's They worked fine but were a bit heavy when attached to the hammock via split rings. I switched to NAMA Claws for the continuous ridge line and moved the Figure-9s from the tarp to the guyline. Of course, they are never in the right spot on the line and the Nite-eze reflective line doesn't slide/adjust smoothly.

When I get to it, I'll make a set of guylines, a hybrid of Bungee and fixed line, with hooked LineLocs. I'll keep the guylines separate because I use different traps, and they will hook on the tarp D-rings.

I asked where you would put them because the ridgeline hardware needs to be sturdier than the guyline locks.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

given you posted this in the diy forum, and in case your titanium addiction is under some control :), this could be a solution: a drop in replacememt for linelocs, that is soft (it relies on knots, but you only tie them once, and then use them the same as linelocs, one handed and at the tarp tieout). the soft shackle part is optional btw (they can be installed semi-permanently on the tarp tieouts instead). the weight limit of the soft shackle part is over 80% line strength (assuming normal line, i.e. not dyneema), but usually the friction hitch will be the weak point, i would estimate the blake hitch well above 50% line strength (depends on the line material and so on), which should be plenty for any tarp application. the nice thing is also that, if it fails, you can easily tie another one in a few minutes.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hitch-variant)

• + New Posts