Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    For the line locks (linelocs?), using the slippery half-hitch like Shug suggested works really well. It's easy to do, and quick to take apart. I think the soft shackle would work fine too, but honestly, seems like it would be more fiddly than just using the line locks.
    i still haven't managed to figure this out, it comes up every now and again, and i seem to be missing something: what's the point of the linelocs if you endup tieing a slippery half hitch after done adjusting? they seem like an additional hassle and wear on the line, with no beneffit . think of it this way: you could just as well have a simple ring, and just tie a munter hitch through it, which you would then secure with a half hitch. simer, cleaner, easier on the line in terms of wear, and not dependent on line diameter. i mean, i'd just use friction hitches as discussed, but if one likes this better, then it's something which can be achieved with non-specialized hardware, and very little skill. one can even throw in a second identical ring/d-ring/what have you, and make it a garda hitch, which would require no further half hitching or such, and will probably be less fidly than the linelocs.

surely, i must be missing something. if they slip, which is to say they fail at fulfilling the only task they were designed for, why are they so popular? they're not even titanium.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    i still haven't managed to figure this out, it comes up every now and again, and i seem to be missing something: what's the point of the linelocs if you endup tieing a slippery half hitch after done adjusting? they seem like an additional hassle and wear on the line, with no beneffit . think of it this way: you could just as well have a simple ring, and just tie a munter hitch through it, which you would then secure with a half hitch. simer, cleaner, easier on the line in terms of wear, and not dependent on line diameter. i mean, i'd just use friction hitches as discussed, but if one likes this better, then it's something which can be achieved with non-specialized hardware, and very little skill. one can even throw in a second identical ring/d-ring/what have you, and make it a garda hitch, which would require no further half hitching or such, and will probably be less fidly than the linelocs.

surely, i must be missing something. if they slip, which is to say they fail at fulfilling the only task they were designed for, why are they so popular? they're not even titanium.
    It's just a "belt and suspenders" kind of thing.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    Lots of different ways to run a RL and you can make any of them work. It's just a matter of preference, I tried the Tato connectors, they worked but they were just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    It's just a "belt and suspenders" kind of thing.
    i'm not familiar with that topic. you mean, it is common for users of belts to recommend using suspenders to support the belt? or the other way around?

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    The term 'belt and suspenders' refers to a redundancy. You don't really need both, each on their own get the job done independent of each other. If one fails, then you'll be glad you had the secondary support.
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

ah, i see, thanks for the explanation, was not familiar with the phrase, it helps.

redundancy in terms of backup doesn't seem to apply here, it's more like multiple points of failure in this case (in the stated configuration, both the linelocs and the half hitch are insufficient on their own). i think having options is nice, and exploring them is worthwhile. what i'm surprised about is when certain options are not suitable, but we insist on using them, i mean, it makes sense to try and make things work, up to a point, sure. up to a point. for instance linelocs 3 which were apparently designed to work with 3mm line, and don't seem to work with smaller line to anyones satisfaction. we are even trying to convince the op who specifically is looking for alternatives, due to that very reason. it's just strange

Hammock
    Superior, Dream
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    SG, HG, SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    This is an interesting way to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZIIM5SBSlY

You get some benefits of the continuous ridgeline (easy to center and takes some of the load off your tarp) without have to deal with prusiks which can get finicky.

Its also hardware free!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12