summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Tonight into tomorrow morning might turn out to be the lowest temperature of 2024 for this area (south-central MO). The forecast says it will be 2 degrees by daybreak with a windchill around negative 12. I set my hammock up earlier today and plan to sleep out. Anyone else gonna give it a whirl?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    Tonight into tomorrow morning might turn out to be the lowest temperature of 2024 for this area (south-central MO). The forecast says it will be 2 degrees by daybreak with a windchill around negative 12. I set my hammock up earlier today and plan to sleep out. Anyone else gonna give it a whirl?
    Sounds fun! -17 below in northeast MO tonight. I think windchill will be around -39. I’m gonna pass on the hammock tonight lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    My favorite trees to hang from on our very-rural 44 acres is also the highest spot on the property... nice for views and summer breezes, not so nice when the wind is kicking. The forecast called for clear skies and a 10 mph flow at midnight diminishing to 7 mph by 7am. Didn't think that would be a problem and it might not have been, except it actually blew all night at around 15mph with frequent higher gusts. I've hung in violent thunderstorms that were tamer! I generally only use a tarp when precipitation is expected, so that wasn't part of my kit last night. I did however use my Dutch Winter Sock to help prevent air currents from sapping heat from my zero-degree quilt set. The sock worked well for that purpose, probably better than even a tarp rigged low on the windward side would have done. The problem was, since it was directly attached to the hammock suspension, it acted as a sail and kept it swaying all night, a motion which eventually gets annoying. Also annoying is the fact that at 70 years old, I need to get up 2-3 times during the night to pee, a nuisance which was made much more complicated by the sock. So... although I persisted until morning and didn't bail, I probably only got about 4 hours of good sleep. The temperature was +8F when I settled in for the night and bottomed out at +1F at daybreak when I emerged for the last time. I have no regrets and would do it again in similar conditions, but next time I think I'll use both the sock AND the tarp, or maybe try hanging with the hammock foot end toward the wind instead of perpendicular to it so the sock acts more like a knife instead of a spinnaker.
    Last edited by twentybelow; 01-14-2024 at 17:09.

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    19678EF7-0EBB-4CDF-BDC1-4314CCF4AE08.jpeg
    I slept outside at my house last night.
    My quilt stack was more than warm enough, but my head/face coverings need improving to be comfortable around these temperatures

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    That's ultimately why we do this... to discover possible weak points in our equipment, and tweak strategies for keeping warm in very cold conditions. Minus 13, very impressive!!! Those Wisconsin FBH-ers got nothing on you!

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    I would like to go to that one some year, so I gotta be prepared
    Timmermade has the best design for down hoods in my opinion, but it’s hard to buy his stuff due to him having a cap on the number of things he makes each month.
    https://timmermade.com/product/water...alaclava-down/

I'll bring an assortment of cheeses, pepperoni and crackers for munching on around the campsite.
    Can anyone think of anything else they'd like me to bring?

Hi Joe, Are there picnic tables at the campground? Or should I bring a table for us to use?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    We had tables two years ago, but there were only a few in the large campground. I plan on arriving Thursday afternoon to cut some firewood. If you send me a PM with your phone number, I could have you bring one if needed. I expect the CG to be empty, and I will move two tables to our central campfire site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast