Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    I just saw some of Twenty’s FBH pictures, and it appears the hang was once held at Rocky Creek Falls. We might want to consider RCF or Klepzig Mill as possible sites. Klepzig can be reached by car and we could hike along Rocky Creek for the second-night hang or remain at the mill site with some Saturday hiking. This may help any who are careful about a streneous hike. The Wisconsin FBH is a single-site event and it has benefits. I see some promise in a Klepzig Mill hang and would love to try it this year. We could still choose a 2024 site at the 2023 hang.

The more I think about a single-site two-night hang, the more I like it.

Joe
    Last edited by runners_low; 12-14-2023 at 11:38.

Hammock
    BIAS and Dream hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ underquilt.
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Missouri Frozen Butt Hang 2023

I like the idea of a single location camp. On my backpacking trips we usually backpack and camp different place each night. We call this through hike. some trips we base camp. Backpack in set up camp and stay for two or three nights. Then we Day hike during the day. This is nice and warm weather cuz you don't have to carry a heavy sweaty pack. It also saves you time breaking and setting up camp. Which would be good this time of year when we have less daylight. Just getting out in the woods and camping with like-minded people is always a win. I am fine with anything we decide

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by runners_low View Post
    I just saw some of Twenty’s FBH pictures, and it appears the hang was once held at Rocky Creek Falls. We might want to consider RCF or Klepzig Mill as possible sites. Klepzig can be reached by car and we could hike along Rocky Creek for the second-night hang or remain at the mill site with some Saturday hiking. This may help any who are careful about a streneous hike. The Wisconsin FBH is a single-site event and it has benefits. I see some promise in a Klepzig Mill hang and would love to try it this year.

Joe
    Hey, Joe! I'm not sure what pictures of mine you were looking at, but the annual Missouri FBH has never been held at Rocky Falls or Klepzig Mill. That said, I am certainly fine with adding that area to the rotation! Yes, the Mill is accessible by gravel road but I'm not sure how many parking spots are available there? I've been to Rocky Falls many times but have never camped there and I'm not sure it's even permitted. If you have more info on the logistics for using either of these locations, please post it here in this thread.

In addition to Bell Mountain (2017, 2018, 2023), Taum Sauk (2019), and Peck Ranch (2022), the other previous FBH locations were Devil's Den SP in Arkansas (2021) and Hawn SP (2020). Also worth mentioning (and hopefully this won't complicate the selection process), other Missouri group hangs I've been on have been held at Berryman Campground west of Potosi off Hwy 8 and Meramec SP near Sullivan, both of which I believe are suitable potential FBH locations.

Establishing a fixed date for future FBHs definitely has it's merits, but based on previous years I think we need to leave open the option to bump the date in the event of an unfavorable/ hazardous weather forecast and also remain flexible if it appears that moving the date will make it possible for more people to attend. There have been a couple of years where attendance was rather sparse for these reasons.

There's my 2 cents. I can help cut and/or stage firewood a day or two before the event if needed... just let me know. I'm currently out-of-state but as soon as I return home I will attempt to contact others via private message and make sure they know about this thread.

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    I would just like a date nailed down before the end of this next week so I can request that friday off before leaving on vacation

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    There is a group campsite at Rocky Creek Falls where the OT crosses the creek just before the spur trail to the falls. There is no campsite at the falls, and I believe the parking lot is for day use only. That makes RCF a poor choice.

Since Friday, January 12 seems acceptable, we will fix that now and choose a site after further discussion.

So January 12 it is. Share the date with your friends who attended before and we will continue to consider sites.

Joe

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    It seems the discussion of the site for the FBH has diminished. Since Peck Ranch gained some support, I think it best we choose it and get the word out.

So Peck Ranch it is. I considered Klepzig mill and will discuss the difficulty below. The plan is to camp at Pine Circle CG on Friday night, hike up the OT, or drive to the fire tower, and hike the much easier 1 plus mile to the top of Stegall. I will clear these plans with the site superintendent who was very cooperative two years ago.

Klepzig mill will not work for this year but I will pursue it as a possible 2024 site. I visited the maintenance director for Klepzig (the Park Superintendent was on vacation) to discuss a possible hammock hang there. There are obstacles but he indicated the NPS desired to work with users in responsible ways to enjoy the site. Among the difficulties we discussed was camping at the site and doing some small sapling clearing in a cedar grove just south of the site to accommodate hammocks.

We can discuss a 2024 site at the hang and get the word out afterward. After taking the lead on fixing a 2023 site, I plan to attend wherever 2024 site is decided.

Joe

Hammock
    DIY 11’ netless
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel UCR
    Sounds good to me

Hi, I'm the new person form PA and NJ. I'm so looking forward to joining all of you this year. I'm good with these dates and wherever. I like the "pre-planning" idea! It's nice to get things on the calendar well in advance.
    Thanks for all your planning.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Welcome Grammyof5. We look forward to meeting and visiting. This will be around the 10th FBH and the second time it will be held at Peck Ranch. If you are familiar with the Ozark Trail or the companion Facebook Group, Ozark Trail Section Hikers and Backpackers you will have the basic information you need. If not, check out OzarkTrail.com and go to explore/maps to see Current River Section maps. The OTSHAB Facebook Group has grown from a few to thousands in just a few years and is one of the most helpful and interesting FB groups, with guarded content and speech.

My phone is 870 405 1922 if needed. Some here have attended every FBH and can answer any questions. You can also search Missouri Frozen Butt Hang and read the discussions of prior years.

Joe

Hi Joe, Thank you for all the planning you do for this FBH. Thank you for the above info! Very thoughtful! I have a couple of questions. We have a "new to us" 2yr old big goofy dog. He is very friendly and Twenty Below and wife are familiar with him. I am comfortable taking him into the woods off leash. Is it OK to bring him?
    I'm sure the answer to my next question can be found on the maps you gave me directions to, but sadly, I am new to reading and understanding trail maps. So, is there water available along the trail or at the second night's camp spot? Or should I plan to pack in all the water I need for myself and the dog?
    Thank you, Go5

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast