Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    We 'doan need no stinking calculators...

https://giphy.com/clips/laff-tv-laug...OvWunKvO91WGZv

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If you play with the Hammock Hang calculator here: https://theultimatehang.com/calculator/

you'll see that anything past the body of the hammock is part of the suspension length. If the "bed" is 94.5 inches, that's just under 8 feet long for purposes of calculation. Hanging that at 83% end distance would put the ends about 80 inches apart. That's a bit short for someone 5' 10". So you are really benefiting from that 63-inch hammock body width.

But all this is conjecture. If you are comfortable, you are comfortable. That's the goal.
    Ah, thank you so much for the explanation. I used the calculator before and that’s what made me concerned that my stand wasn’t long enough to accommodate my hammock. When I put in 11.15’ for the hammock length, it tells me that it may be too wide for my 10.5’ stand. So I was hoping there could be another way to hang it that would essentially function as if the stand was farther apart. I thought maybe I could use the chains to pull the ends tighter (by hooking the carabiner at the end of the chain around the rope knot loop of the hammock and hooking the other end of the chain to the lower horizontal bar of the stand).But I guess I was putting the wrong hammock length into the calculator? It says to include attached strings, but not suspension, and I thought that the ropes extending from my hammock bed counted towards the overall length.

Image.jpeg

So, judging from the measurements in this image, if I may ask for an “Explain Like I’m 5” answer, should I plug in 11.15’ for the hammock length into the calculator, or 7.875’ (94.5”)? Apologies for all the confusion, I get a little lost doing these calculations. I greatly appreciate the advice.

I was also considering a bridge hammock bed, but I still have a lot more to learn about them. It would be much easier to replace the hammock itself than the stand!

Images
    I'll tend to agree with Joe on this one. I know the calculator was designed to help people, but I think it just overcomplicates the matter and ends up raising more questions than it answers.

Simply judging by your photos, I think everything looks pretty good.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    If you get a good night's sleep and are comfortable, then it's good to go!
    I sleep in a brazilian every night and love it.

Charlotte

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I don't, and wouldn't, count the clews (rope part of the hammock) as part of the suspension. If you take the full length of that hammock, "bed" and "clews", and calculate about 83%(or just make it easy and do 80%) of that length you'll get a good starting point for a ridgeline length. That is if you want to add a ridgeline.
    I don't see why that stand wouldn't be long enough as the hammock is listed as just barely over 11' (133.8") and 80% of that would be 8.92', so 9'. That should be the basic length from one loop to the other along the line that a ridgeline would occupy, your stand is longer than that.
    As Cougarmeat said, height off the floor would be the deciding factor in wether that stand is the right size if your hang angles are the usual.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

@Always_Tired,

Welcome to the forum. Happy Holidays.

Like mentioned a few times above, no need to over think things and no need to overspend. You yourself said you were comfortable and that you slept well. Done.

If upon further use, you find your stand is too low, save up some money and get a Tensa4 Stand. Shug has some videos on it. It can be used indoors or in the woods. Not backpackable but car, boat, bike, motorcycle transportable. I have one. Its affordable and it is fantastic.

Merry Christmas.

Bob
    Last edited by Draketake; 11-30-2023 at 12:10.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Do know that usually, a bridge hammock needs its suspension points further apart than a gathered end. For example, the usual distance from end-to-end of the suspension for a WarBonnet RidgeRunner is about 13 feet. But again, what is comfortable for you? I know one Bridge Hammock user who prefers the suspension ends to be only 12 feet apart. The bridge is also usually strung a little tighter - like around 25-20 degrees rather than around 30 like a GE. Remember, no rules; just guidelines.

When you talk about "ridgeline" length it can get confusing because you can make a ridgeline that just goes from end-to-end of the hammock body or end-to-end of the suspension to keep the hammock at the desired sag. In my mind, a 2 foot clew from the hammock body, then a 1 foot suspension line to an anchor is the same as a 3 foot suspension line from the body of the hammock to the anchor. The body of the hammock is the same. However it's described, the goal is the same - a comfortable solution. That means the hammock body ends close enough to allow enough sag so you can find a comfortable diagonal lie. If you have that, you're good-to-go.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

In my mind, a 2 foot clew from the hammock body, then a 1 foot suspension line to an anchor is the same as a 3 foot suspension line from the body of the hammock to the anchor. The body of the hammock is the same.

I'm with LowTech on this. The clews are part of the hammock, not the suspension. They simply are a substitute for cloth that would be there in a GE hammock. You can't shorten the suspension by removing the clews! Therefore, the length of the hammock needs to be measured from clew end to clew end.

Thank you all so much for the welcome and advice! It’s all been very helpful. I feel much more comfortable with my setup now, but I’ve decided to also try out a few other designs. Maybe I’ll use different hammocks for different situations (sleeping, reading, cuddling, etc).

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I do, that's for sure. I tend to use the Brazilian more as a daytime couch and occasional hot weather sleeping hammock.
    The nylon camping hammocks are for kayaking/bikepacking/backpacking and everyday sleeping in cooler weather since I like very little heat barrier between me and my UQs when it's cold.
    And my Mayan hammock is for when it's stupid hot or very humid, but w/o bugs since I don't have a good bugnet setup for it.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12