Will a clew suspension work on a tapered UQ (HangTight)?

Hi. Budget concerns made me go with HangTight for a 40-degree underquilt, and then because that wasn't enough I bought a 30-degree underquilt, figuring I could stack them if needed. The problem is that these, along with the UQ protector (one wind, I think), turn my wide, lovely hammock into a taco. It's just too much strong shock cord which seems way too tight.

So I've been looking at replacing the suspension with a "clew" system. The problem is that the UQs aren't rectangular. They are tapered at the ends and don't lie flat. Does anyone know whether the clew will still work well? I figure I can fiddle with the lengths of each clew to make sure I like the fit.

Similarly, can I do anything with the suspension of the UQ protector? Because that thing is freaking HUGE and basically swallows up my hammock, again creating a taco. Could a clew rigging help with that as well?

Thank you so much!!!

I'll throw in my two-cents worth...

There are folks out there that are fans of clews. If you search Underquilts (under Bottom Insulation) and this sub-forum (DIY), using "clew" as your search word, you'll find a few discussions.

I think the accordion-effect that occurs at the ends of the UQ might be a problem. Just my opinion. Others may disagree.

Most of the UQs out there are supported along the edges. That tends to snug the UQ to the hammock body. Shock cords on the end channels snug the ends of the UQ, pretty much blocking drafts when needed.

With clews or fabric ends (and I think they perform similarly), there exists the possibility that the edges of the UQ could sag, just as one side of a GE hammock typically does. (Toward that end, I plan to add Knotty mods to the edges of my Wooki. It might be overkill, but I like the idea of keeping the edge taut.)

I don't believe that having a taper changes the discussion.

And with the UQP, replacing the shock-corded end with a clew just might diminish its ability to block drafts.

Thanks! Maybe I just need to replace the shock cord so it isn't so tight. In any event, it sounds like there's going to be a lot of trial and error on my part. Winter project...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Its pretty easy to make a "wookie" type suspension for your uq. Look at simply light designs trailwinder. Its basically a synthetic wookie. Really easy to hang- very little adjustment needed
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts