Down migration after washing

I recently washed my HG 20* top quilt and most of the down migrated, it seems into the top horizontal baffle. Is there any way to fix it??

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    See this post from Stormcrow about the baffles: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2093553

You can lay your quilt on a flat surface and lightly brush your hand over the baffles to move the air and the down inside them. This is especially helpful for moving down around corners or at the top of baffles.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    A similar thing happened to me and I was able to rearrange the down. Mine was over 12 years old and had snaps on the foot box, which unfortunately began shedding a good amount of the down during the drying process. Now there is not enough down in the first few baffles because the down shifts away from the center of the baffles. I have since replaced it with a 10 degree quilt with the 20d fabric. I’m really torn with what to do with my old quilt. Not sure if it would be worth trying to add some down somehow or maybe even send it back to hg. I do like it because it is very light weigh and has the draw string foot box. I went with a sewn foot box for my new 10 degree. .

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    Sometimes after you wash the down gets super compressed. Have you tried putting it in the dryer at low temp with a couple tennis balls? It worked miracles on the down jacket I washed a few months ago. I thought I ruined it, but after just a few minutes in the dryer (at low temp) it looked good as new.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PatapscoMike View Post
    Sometimes after you wash the down gets super compressed. Have you tried putting it in the dryer at low temp with a couple tennis balls? It worked miracles on the down jacket I washed a few months ago. I thought I ruined it, but after just a few minutes in the dryer (at low temp) it looked good as new.
    That is actually the exact method I used to dry it. Used our dryer on air for 20 mins at a ti e until it was dry.

Hammock
    Hemlock Mountain Redtail
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    Hangtight shiny
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    A similar thing happened to me and I was able to rearrange the down. Mine was over 12 years old and had snaps on the foot box, which unfortunately began shedding a good amount of the down during the drying process. Now there is not enough down in the first few baffles because the down shifts away from the center of the baffles. I have since replaced it with a 10 degree quilt with the 20d fabric. I’m really torn with what to do with my old quilt. Not sure if it would be worth trying to add some down somehow or maybe even send it back to hg. I do like it because it is very light weigh and has the draw string foot box. I went with a sewn foot box for my new 10 degree. .
    I'd contact HG and see what it would cost to repair. They offer the service and might not add much to get a little overstuffed. I sent a 12 year old jacket back to Patagonia for a zipper that was damaged and it came back as good as new for under $20. I'd expect HG would charge a bit more but its probably reasonable and you get to use a piece of gear you like again.

From HG:

We do offer repair services for our USA manufactured gear, should you have the need and the issue is within reasonable repair. If this is ever the case, please reach out to our customer service representative at [email protected] with a detailed explanation of the issue and clear photographs documenting the damage. From there, we will diagnose if the issue is repairable and provide an estimate of how much the repair will cost. Those costs are only estimates and subject to change, once we have our hands on the product and can accurately project it's repair process. You will also be responsible for shipping costs to and from our facility in Ohio.

• + New Posts