Hammock
    Geaux Hammock 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ-Zep20/Kelty21
    Suspension
    Whoops/DutchSpidrs

Need a nice state park with good primitive car camping for hammocks 6-7 hrs drive fr New Orleans

I keep looking around the south and just can't seem to find many good state parks with good primitive/wooded tent/hammock (car) camping areas. An established park is desired so we can have bathroom access. Would like nice attractions nearby like a nice day hike to a waterfall.
    We've been to Cheaha, and Desoto Falls State Parks several times and they are awesome! Great rocks/mountains/streams/waterfalls, but we are trying to find new spots to add to our collection.
    So many I look into are full of RV's and the tent area is just a clearing or tent pads with no trees around, and still next to the RV's.
    Trying to stay within 6-7 hours of New Orleans, which basically means not quite into Tennessee or even too far into Georgia.
    We've also been into Arkansas at Cossatot River State Park several times which is also amazing, and into Oklahoma at Broken Bow, which was nice but not awesome.
    Any good ones you care to suggest? Looking for next weekend (Black Friday '23).
    Thanks!!
    Al C.

Cloudland Canyon has a nice primitive area and hiking, rocks, waterfalls. I also love Oak Mountain, but it might be closed and/or have construction right now.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    another thing to note is Alabama is in a severe drought right now so finding a waterfall to hike too will be a challenge. check out Oak Mountain State Park in the Birmingham area and Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville plenty of hiking at or around both parks
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyCavalier View Post
    I keep looking around the south and just can't seem to find many good state parks with good primitive/wooded tent/hammock (car) camping areas. An established park is desired so we can have bathroom access. Would like nice attractions nearby like a nice day hike to a waterfall.
    We've been to Cheaha, and Desoto Falls State Parks several times and they are awesome! Great rocks/mountains/streams/waterfalls, but we are trying to find new spots to add to our collection.
    So many I look into are full of RV's and the tent area is just a clearing or tent pads with no trees around, and still next to the RV's.
    Trying to stay within 6-7 hours of New Orleans, which basically means not quite into Tennessee or even too far into Georgia.
    We've also been into Arkansas at Cossatot River State Park several times which is also amazing, and into Oklahoma at Broken Bow, which was nice but not awesome.
    Any good ones you care to suggest? Looking for next weekend (Black Friday '23).
    Thanks!!
    Al C.
    Al, Stuart Thib here I know u r very familiar with Indian Creek so i dont have to suggest that one. Look at the SRA parks along Toledo Bend. I hung at the Indian Mounds on the tx side a few weeks ago and it was great. San Miquel is another nice one. Also lake valentine has a few nice spots to hang with a bathroom and potable water. I think u have my phone # if u have any questions about any of these locations.
    Let me know where y'all decide to go, I'd like to join you, if that would be ok

Lake Fausse Pointe State Park, located in the heart of the Atchafalaya Basin in Louisiana, offers a unique camping experience in a natural wetland setting. The park has a tent camping area with sites shaded by trees, providing a secluded atmosphere. Bathroom facilities are available for campers. While the park doesn't have waterfalls, it offers opportunities for outdoor activities like fishing, canoeing, and hiking through its scenic trails, allowing you to immerse yourself in Louisiana's natural beauty.

Hammock
    Geaux Hammock 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ-Zep20/Kelty21
    Suspension
    Whoops/DutchSpidrs
    Stuart, I don't have your Phone #. We've decided to head to central north Alabama at Rickwood Caverns. Not ideal but we're gonna give it a shot. If you want to join us, we are heading out early Friday morning. Msg me here and I should get an email. I'll be checking just in case.

Hammock
    Geaux Hammock 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ-Zep20/Kelty21
    Suspension
    Whoops/DutchSpidrs
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will put them on my list to go check out soon!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Please post a trip report about Rickwood Caverns SP. It's close for me, but I haven't been there and don't know what the Hammock capabilities are like.

Thanks,
    Charlotte

• + New Posts