Dw 11 foot netless
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Woop woop

Unhappy JRB Greylock draft

Hey y'all. I have had the greylock from JRB for a while now, but every time I use it, I always run into a problem where the calf ridge on my hammock create a gap that cannot be closed no matter how tight or loose I cinch the ends. I have tried fiddling with putting the feet end way higher and everything else, but the small calf ridge just won't go away. I have the dutchware 11 foot wide hammock and the non wide version, but I seem to always have a calf ridge that creates a 4 inch gap between UQ and hammock. Today I tried putting a magnet from the inside of my hammock and the outside of the underquilt right where the cal fridge appears, but its super weird having it there and I could easily kick the magnet off if I moved just a little bit. I have replaced the end sinch cords with elastic ones, but that didn't help either. So my question is this: Have any of you found a solution to this problem that doesn't involve removing the calf ridge. I have played enough around with multiple hammocks to know that it's just part of my hammock camping experience and that it won't go away. Im thinking of maybe sewing velcro to my hammock and the underquilt, so that I could seal off the end at the foot end. Anyone every tried that? Thank you for any input !

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Watch Shug’s video on calf ridge.
    He has a number of ways to reduce and or eliminate calf ridge.
    Also a longer hammock can help. When I went from 11 foot hammock to 11 and half foot hammock, calf ridge was reduced or eliminated.
    Even more so, with a 12 foot hammock.

And when you set your under quilt up under hammock.
    Leave it attached, and pull under quilt out from under hammock.
    Bottom edge of your under quilt should be 6 inches higher than bottom edge of your empty hammock, along entire length of under quilt.

See if you can have someone lay in your hammock, while you check fit of under quilt, looking for gaps, and making adjustments.

Good luck!!

Hammock
    Dw 11 foot netless
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Woop woop
    I watched Shugs video and tried all the tips but I didn't really help. Im pretty sure the problem lies within the hammock and the calf ridge, so maybe I need to look into getting a longer hammock, potentially a double layer one, as that may reduce the curves in the fabric. Thanks for the tip !

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I have the Greylock 3 that I use on my 11’ Trail Lair. I think all gathered end hammocks have some calf ridge by nature of their design, but I get very little in the Trail Lair. I use similar techniques to what Shug describes in his video, including the prusik secondary suspension. I find having quilt hooks helps, particularly on the partial length UQs. You might also want to experiment by adding a shock cord loop to the primary suspension to lengthen it some - it could be you have it pulled too tightly preventing the quilt from laying flat when you’re in it and thereby causing air gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Uller View Post
    So my question is this: Have any of you found a solution to this problem that doesn't involve removing the calf ridge.
    Underquilt protector. I made mine slightly longer than commercial models I'd seen, so it seals up the ends of the underquilt and helps trap air (or stops drafts).
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dw 11 foot netless
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock
    Suspension
    Woop woop
    Alright gotta look into this swell thanks a bunch !!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Underquilt protector. I made mine slightly longer than commercial models I'd seen, so it seals up the ends of the underquilt and helps trap air (or stops drafts).
    This could truly help and cheaper than a new hammock. Maybe adding a secondary suspension would help the Greylock from having the accordion effect and seal the deal.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    When I got my 3/4 length UQ I played/fought w/ the suspension on it for a while and then eventually I went the UQP route, only I had it attached SLD, or symmetrical wooki, style and have never looked back. It took care of my suspension as well as draft issues.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Images
    Just to add, the Greylock at some point started coming with a form of secondary suspension already included. The cordlocks that the end cinches run through are sewn to the corners of the quilt, and they can be positioned along the primary suspension wherever you want them. Same effect as Shug's addition of the Prusik loops, as shown in his video.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-(cinch-chord)
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-10-2023 at 12:51.

I think most all gathered end hammocks will have some form/amount of calf-ridge. I have used a Greylock 3 down to 25 F and been very comfortable with an 11' hammock. I have used it with a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and the Warbonnet XLC which can have varying amounts of calf ridge depending on the hammock setup (I've found about 18" higher foot end than head end give me the most comfortable lay (based purely on eye measurements)). I think the secondary suspension is key. My Greylock 3 is the older version. I bought the loops from Z Packs that have cordlocks attached and just girth-hitched them to the 4 corners and ran shock cord to create a secondary suspension. Not only does that elimiante the 'accordian affect', it also allows you to bias the quilt. You can cheat the quilt longer on your foot size and shorter on the non-foot side and longer on your head (Shugemery covers this "bias" adjustment in several of his underquilt videos). I'm of the opinion that his biasing reduces the gap/impact of the calf ridge as it transitions the quilt across a longer area. Just my opinion. Also, you can easily create a gap if your shock cord slipos under your feet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast