Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

Insulated Hammock ? (integrated UQ)

(Jump to the 3rd paragraph for my actual question)
    Got back from WY last week,, 3 days, 2 nights in 10-20 deg and winds to 40 mph.
    I have been a Maryland/VA/WV May-Sept kayak camper and saw no need for winter gear until this Elk hunt in WY came up.
    I need to updrage for winter hanging,,,

So I used my DH Darien, double layered UQs - Homemade 7/8 length Clima 5.0 with "over the ridge bikini suspension" , with my sons SLD Trail Winder Clima 3.6 over that. A cheap Walmart 50 deg sleeping bag, 2) Costco diamond throws with foot box mod,, I was dressed in merino 250 wool tops and bottoms,, white cotton thermals over the wool, sweat pants 2 layers of socks (top being wool), hoodie, beanie hat, and camp pillow.
    I had a cheap Amazon "Onwind" winter tarp.
    I was cold until a deployed 4 "hot hands" into the sleeping bag.

Soo, I am looking for a hammock with full length, full with integrated UQ, in the 25-35 deg range, I would double up with one of my separate UQs,,
    In my typical kayak camping with night temps of 40-60,, "not so perfect coverage or fit" does not even register,,
    In 10 deg and windy,,, With the most movement my 2 UQ shifted/moved/ just let a puff of arctic air in that chilled part of me,, and it took 10-20 minutes to shift and warm back. An integrated UQ would be my full coverage line of defense against this.
    Is superior the only one making this?? I was preferring a synthetic material.
    Another note,, I do not backpack,, only Kayak and car/jeep,, so weight is not an issue per say.
    I was skeptical of the integrated UQ,, but after watching a few of Shugs videos,, It appears the concept passes initial muster

Images
    As you probably know, Superior Gear is the one doing the most in this space.

For synthetic, you may want to check out the Simply Light Designs Trail Winder UQ, though it is not integral. It works in much the same way as a Warbonnet Wooki. You can also have it set up to accommodate a second layer of insulation that can be added or not, as desired.

Just one example combination... a layer of Apex 6.0 is rated to approximately 20°. Adding another layer of 6.0 should take you WELL below 0° (theoretically, maybe as far down as -30°). Experimenting with new setups at home is always a good test before setting out into the real world, especially when it comes to stacking insulation for more dangerous temps.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/produ...winder-asym-uq
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-03-2023 at 14:50.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    As you probably know, Superior Gear is the one doing the most in this space.

For synthetic, you may want to check out the Simply Light Designs Trail Winder UQ, though it is not integral. It works in much the same way as a Warbonnet Wooki. You can also have it set up to accommodate a second layer of insulation that can be added or not, as desired.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/produ...winder-asym-uq
    Yeah, I have a Trail Winder 3.6,, that was my 2nd layer on my cobbled together WY set up.
    Wonder if I can con Jared into making a hammock with integrated synthetic UQ

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Yeah, I have a Trail Winder 3.6,, that was my 2nd layer on my cobbled together WY set up.
    Yeah, worth an email to ask. He's as willing as anybody (and more so than most) to do custom work!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Not integrated but something I've done several times this past year to stop the wind getting in between the hammock/quilt, or quilt/quilt if I'm stacking on the TW is to use a well fitting fronkey bug net. It did a way better job than my UQP at stopping the wind getting between things.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I'd say over the past year or so, Jared has had this page on his website.
    https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...lated-hammocks

It's all on a case by case basis, but he will entertain the idea of crafting you an insulated Trail Lair.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The idea of an integrated hammock is interesting, but I feel like it would only make sense for a "deep winter" or at least "cold weather" setup. I'm kind of a warm sleeper, I guess, because unless the temp is below about 40 degrees, I always start out with the UQ pulled away, then pull it under me if/when I feel a chill. I'm looking to do more winter backpacking in the coming years, so I might hit up Jared. Thinking maybe a TL with 6 oz Apex and a top cover that's mostly Argon with a panel of mesh at each end to combat condensation would be a good start.

Hammock
    Superior, Dream
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    SG, HG, SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Yes he certainly will, I recently emailed him about it. He attaches the Trail Winder directly to the Trail Lair (or any of his hammock I presume), so it's not much for weight savings (maybe 1-2 oz), but having the UQ integrated is really nice.
    Here's the link on his site: https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...lated-hammocks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    (Jump to the 3rd paragraph for my actual question)
    Got back from WY last week,, 3 days, 2 nights in 10-20 deg and winds to 40 mph.
    I have been a Maryland/VA/WV May-Sept kayak camper and saw no need for winter gear until this Elk hunt in WY came up.
    I need to updrage for winter hanging,,,

So I used my DH Darien, double layered UQs - Homemade 7/8 length Clima 5.0 with "over the ridge bikini suspension" , with my sons SLD Trail Winder Clima 3.6 over that. A cheap Walmart 50 deg sleeping bag, 2) Costco diamond throws with foot box mod,, I was dressed in merino 250 wool tops and bottoms,, white cotton thermals over the wool, sweat pants 2 layers of socks (top being wool), hoodie, beanie hat, and camp pillow.
    I had a cheap Amazon "Onwind" winter tarp.
    I was cold until a deployed 4 "hot hands" into the sleeping bag.

Soo, I am looking for a hammock with full length, full with integrated UQ, in the 25-35 deg range, I would double up with one of my separate UQs,,
    In my typical kayak camping with night temps of 40-60,, "not so perfect coverage or fit" does not even register,,
    In 10 deg and windy,,, With the most movement my 2 UQ shifted/moved/ just let a puff of arctic air in that chilled part of me,, and it took 10-20 minutes to shift and warm back. An integrated UQ would be my full coverage line of defense against this.
    Is superior the only one making this?? I was preferring a synthetic material.
    Another note,, I do not backpack,, only Kayak and car/jeep,, so weight is not an issue per say.
    I was skeptical of the integrated UQ,, but after watching a few of Shugs videos,, It appears the concept passes initial muster
    The Starlite from Superior Gear is a great option too. Can use it without a UQ, add your own or use a pad.
    But snap on one of the UQ/TO options Comforters and use in UQ mode you are set up with no fiddling. But you have the option to vent it if you want too.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts