UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Testing the alt code from my desktop - °

worked!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    As in type up post in Word, then cut/paste post into the forum?
    I've been doing something like that, with a word document that's content is "°F" but cmc4free has just won me over to the ALT universe.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I seldom use the iPhone or iPad for viewing the forum - desktop Mac's only. I would agree that it's probably my local problem except it seems the same on both desktops and three different browsers. I don't recall changing any font/language setting since a time when it did render correctly. I've Googled about and it's humous how hidden a simple answer can be. Most posts mention how to add a UTF-8 character, but not how to fix the display of one. Or they mention selecting a different font - though the appropriate font is not mentioned. I'm using Brave, FireFox, and Safari browsers. I don't see any setting in the browsers or OS that is a clear solution.

But it did work at one time. So something changed. As life often does. Maybe I'll quiz one of the A.I. wizards.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I decided to ask ChatGPT-4 about the encoding issue. I was given the following answers:

If Brave Web Browser isn't displaying UTF-8 encoding correctly, it could be due to several reasons:

1. Page Encoding Settings: The website might not be correctly set up for UTF-8 encoding. You can try changing the encoding settings of the website to UTF-8 if it's incorrectly set.

2. Browser Settings: It's also possible that your browser settings got altered, causing UTF-8 pages not to display correctly. You can check for any settings in your Brave browser related to text encoding or default character sets.

3. Extensions/Plugins: Sometimes, browser extensions or plugins may alter the way web pages display. Try disabling plugins or extensions to see if this resolves the issue.

4. Software Update: If you're using an outdated version of the Brave browser, it might not support certain UTF-8 characters. Updating to the latest version of the browser can potentially fix the issue.

5. Cache and Cookies: Sometimes, clearing browser cache and cookies can also help resolve display issues.

Remember, these are general guidelines, and the exact steps may vary based on the operating system and browser version.

Note the first answer about the website encoding. So I went to another website and put in my Shift-Option-8 for the degree symbol. It displayed properly in the repy box (as it does with HammockForums) and when I saved it. It ALSO displayed properly when posted. So I'm only having this issue on the HammockForums website.

For now, I'll just live with it - other fish the fry. I thought some switch had to be turned on at the webpage end but the special UTF-8 characters are rendering properly on Windows machines. Can't fix it if it doesn't appear broken.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    As in type up post in Word, then cut/paste post into the forum?
    Yes, I have a BA in English with a Professional Writing major, and generally use MS Word for writing documentations of workplace electronics research design and development projects.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I seldom use the iPhone or iPad for viewing the forum - desktop Mac's only. I would agree that it's probably my local problem except it seems the same on both desktops and three different browsers. I don't recall changing any font/language setting since a time when it did render correctly. I've Googled about and it's humous how hidden a simple answer can be. Most posts mention how to add a UTF-8 character, but not how to fix the display of one. Or they mention selecting a different font - though the appropriate font is not mentioned. I'm using Brave, FireFox, and Safari browsers. I don't see any setting in the browsers or OS that is a clear solution.

But it did work at one time. So something changed. As life often does. Maybe I'll quiz one of the A.I. wizards.
    Software upgrades are a B**ch...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yes, this could have been a "gift" from the OS 17 update. But again, this issue doesn't appear on other websites. Notice how large one of those first posts is getting. It seems everytime I visit the page, the content increases. I reminds me of, "A night on Bald Mountain" were Mickey Mouse turned the broom into a helper to assist in filling the well. Except, once implemented, he didn't know how to turn it off (reference to political spending policies removed ).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Yes, this could have been a "gift" from the OS 17 update. But again, this issue doesn't appear on other websites. Notice how large one of those first posts is getting. It seems everytime I visit the page, the content increases. I reminds me of, "A night on Bald Mountain" were Mickey Mouse turned the broom into a helper to assist in filling the well. Except, once implemented, he didn't know how to turn it off (reference to political spending policies removed ).
    What is confusing to me is that you seem to be the only one with this issue, from what I understand?

Images
    Really strange, also, how post #3 keeps ballooning larger and larger, including (especially) the part of the post where cougarmeat quoted me.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have no clue. I just know that though it was working before, one day my degree symbol (shift-option-8) - within the last couple of months - started showing up with an  in front of it. And the ballooning of post #3 is a complete mystery.

Yes, it could be "just me" but it's just me + the hammockForums website because it doesn't happen on other sites. Who knows, maybe some future update will fix it. I'll look into it from time to time. I think the developer tools available in FireFox will show the underlying HTML code - I may look at that. But web coding is not my thing. See that "showing up with an ... in front of it." That is changing when I visit the page. It's not what I initially typed.

Here is more from ChatGPT-4:
    The issue you're encountering is related to character encoding mismatches. The '°' symbol is an extended ASCII character. When your web page is designed to serve these special characters encoded in Unicode (e.g. UTF-8), and the server provides the page data to a client expecting ASCII or ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1), the special characters may not render correctly.

To solve this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Ensure that the page's meta charset is set to UTF-8. In your HTML head tag, make sure you have `<meta charset="UTF-8">`.
    2. Verify the HTTP Content-Type header sent from your server also mentions UTF-8, like this: `Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8`.
    3. If you are manually saving the HTML file, ensure to save it in UTF-8 format.
    4. Lastly, verify the database character set (if using a database) is also set to UTF-8.

These steps will help ensure consistent character rendering across different platforms.

And

The rendering of characters like '°' on a webpage is largely controlled by the website itself. The website decides what character encoding it should use and specifies this in the webpage's HTML or server settings. Most modern websites use UTF-8 character encoding, which includes common English letters, international characters, and special symbols like '°'.

If the '°' symbol is not displaying correctly on a specific webpage, it's likely due to how the webpage itself is encoded, especially if you can see the '°' symbol correctly in other places (even in the same browser). It may be the case that the website is not using UTF-8 encoding or not using it correctly.

Here are some things you can check or change in the Brave browser:

1. **Browser Encoding Settings:** Although modern browsers typically use the encoding specified by the webpage, you can check if Brave's encoding is set to "Auto-detect" or "UTF-8". However, Brave (like other Chromium-based browsers) doesn't have a manual option to change the character encoding like older browsers did.

2. **Webpage Encoding:** In general, check the webpage's source code. Look for a meta tag in the HTML head section that looks like this: `<meta charset="UTF-8">`.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-04-2023 at 11:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast