Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab

SoCal Hangers 2024 Hang Planning

GROUP HANG 2024 – PLEASE READ!

Hey there, Everybody! It has been a crazy summer and I hope you all had many exciting excursions the last few months.
    Believe it or not, it’s that time of year where we need to start planning for the yearly group hang! Last year was a blast and a tremendous reboot which breathed new life into the event and made me very excited for the future of SoCal Hangers!

Mike and I checked out a few other places up near Barton Flats this weekend and we think that Lobo Group Campsite would be just about perfect for us. The problem is it books quickly and is going to cost around $1,100 for Thursday through Sunday and would need to be paid up front. We have $200 in the kitty from last year so that means we need to raise $900. I am not in a position to cover it and then wait to get paid back like I have in years past.

With the event being so far in the future I can’t imagine people have solidified schedules enough to know if they are able to make it so instead of an admission fee I am asking for people to buy raffle tickets way ahead of time. Like, right now. Those funds will be used to pay costs associated with the event.

That way, if you get a bunch of tickets but are not able to go, you still have a chance to win. My hope is that this makes it so people who may have reservations about paying an “admission fee” because they are not sure they can make it, are still guaranteed value for their money.

Tickets are $5 each and I would encourage buying 8 or more.

A lot depends on if the group site is still available by the time we gather up funds but I am looking at the following weekends (Thursday through Sunday):
    April 11-14
    April 18-21
    May 2-5
    May 16-19

If we can’t get the group site because we can’t gather enough funds in time, Mike and I also scouted out some spaces at Barton which will be even better than last year

Please send funds to Paypal at:
    paypal.me/WillieCash
    or Venmo using:
    @socalhangers

There are likely concerns that we will not be giving money to a charity this year. My hope is that we will be able to do that again in the future but we need to get to a point where we have enough funds left over from one year to pay for the next and I think this is the most efficient way to get there.
    The site is awesome. Lots of trees, big fire ring, lots of tables, BBQs, Big open spaces for horseshoes, farther away from the highway than Barton Flats, etc. It really is awesome.

Thanks so much!

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232068...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Hey All!

Just a quick reminder to buy raffle tickets if you can to fund reserving the site.

If above is unclear, there will be no attendance fees for the event this year. Everything is funded by the raffle.

If you buy tickets and can't attend for some reason, I will send you whatever prizes you win.

Thank you!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    I will make a more official post in the coming weeks but The Lobo group campsite has been reserved for May 2nd-5th!

This group site is fantastic. Mike and I scouted it in October and it really meets all of our needs and wants. There are flush toilets and the camp host at Barton Flats said with that reservation we can roll down there to use showers if we would like. There is parking for 19 vehicles, a huge fire pit with plenty of shade, several bear bins, multiple grills, lots of picnic tables, is a bit farther away from the highway than last year, has lots of trees, and as of now the group site next door is currently showing as unavailable on the Recreation website (not "reserved" so I think it is currently closed for those dates) so we hopefully don't have neighbors.

The Rio Monte Trail is accessed from the campground and ends at the Rio Monte Panorama, which overlooks the deep gorge of the Santa Ana River Valley.

It is close to Jenks Lake which is stocked with rainbow trout, as well as largemouth bass, bluegill, sunfish and catfish. Rowboats, canoes and kayaks are permitted.

Elevation is 6,400 feet and the average daytime temperature will be in the low 70s with nighttime temps in the high 40s. About the same as last year.

I took everybody who pre-paid's concerns about dates into account. Sadly, no dates will work for everyone and we had to work around existing reservations and the fact that Mothers' Day is the following weekend.

• + New Posts