4season insulation system

I recently bought the 4 season supershelter from their odds and ends sale. Interestingly it now comes in a compression sack and is labeled 4 season insulation system, not "supershelter."
    I have a few questions if anyone can help.

In the past I've used an R2.8 mat inside the hammock. Can I expect the supershelter to keep me warmer - or is the main benefit that it won't be moving around on me?
    With just the mat, it went down to 5 C/ 41 F. With my 0 Celcius sleeping bag, I was chilly, but still slept well - better than the tenters

For colder weather - is it better to add an extra layer on top, or add insulation underneath. Obviously a colder rated sleeping bag would be nice. But not in the budget for now.

If I want to add the mat for extra insulation - should I sleep directly on it, or add it to the insulation system layer?

If you have any thoughts on any of this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    If you are meaning the Hennessy "Super Shelter" system, there could be some considerable variables here, especially at your latitude.

As a long time Hennessy Super Shelter user, it has worked well, at below freezing temps, into the teens. But I have the original set up which is the full size grey open cell foam pad, torso pad, and kidney pad, which I sewed together into one. This grey foam combination is unfortunately not sold any more, I don't see why, it is the best as far as I'm concerned. It fits in between the Super Shelter undercover and hammock itself, and doesn't move around. I changed all my Hennesys to zippers, but the bottom entry worked pretty good too. It I have also tried a few different brands of insulated pads inside the hammock itself, also, they performed ok, but they move around. Never had any condensation issues. I sewed loops along the entire outside perimeter of all 3 of my Hennessys and have several different fabric/insulation combinations of various sizes to attach directly to the hammock without the Super Shelter.

In ANY temperature range usage though, I always need a sit pad, or something like it under my backside, summer or winter, something extra. It is never warm at night in the White mountains of New Hampshire, never.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Thanks. That was helpful. I'm in Ontario - so always have to bet on cold mornings!
    I thought I would report back since I had a chance to try out the supershelter in similar weather. In 5C weather, I didn't find that the supershelter was a vast improvement over the mat. Yes, the mat moves around, but my mat is also 1/3 the size of the supershelter - so there are pros and cons to each. However I could definately see wanting both the supershelter and a mat in anything colder than that.
    On this trip I had the luxury of camping with unlimited space so when it went down to -3C/ 27F , I opted for the supershelter and 2 sleeping bags (no mat). I was super snug all night long.
    I think if I were to go back in time I would have upgraded the fly instead. I can't seem to get the asymmetrical fly to align perfectly in rain/wind - and a bit of water got into the supershelter layer.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Glad you like it. + on the super shelter & mat. You are right about the rain fly, its not adequate, maybe in summer with grantee of no steady rain. I have gotten by with it pitched very low against the ridge of the hammock, not strung out to the sides, just draping down.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ck with billybob on the forum- hes a bit of an expert on the super shelter!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts