Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    Tried last night and in Yosemite with my 40 TQ and I do find myself adjusting periodically. But I honestly think the largest problem is ground sleeping is just not comfortable, so I end up flopping around. I noticed the design has changed and the baffles are now lengthwise so I was thinking that may help.
    I toss and turn when I'm a 'ground pounder' to quote Blackie Thomas. I prefer the Hammock and I have JacksRBetter topquilts which are 52" wide. If I were buying, I'd buy 55" just because I toss and turn so much on the ground. For me, the 3" width weight is insignificant compared to my own weight.

With respect to the longitudal design, the down will still migrate to some extent. I have a sleeping bag that design and I found that I always need to flugg/migrate the down even in that design to redistribute the down so that I don't have cold spots. I actually prefer the JacksRBetter horizontal design in underquits for that reason. I've found that I can take my 20 degree quilt and "push" the down away form the areas opposite my feet towards my feet and the same thing on the head end and be very toasty at 20degrees and I'm a cold sleeper.

I think if you are mostly using your quilt in a hammock, you might prefer the slim width (50 inches) as it will fit better in the hammock’s shape However, if you also want to use your quilt on the ground, you might benefit from the standard width (55 inches) as it will provide more coverage and prevent drafts along the sides of your body.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I haven't had to go to ground with it, but when it is especially windy, my HG Wide option TQ - surprisingly for what seems only a little extra width provides so much more tuck-in-ability. No chilly currents can find their way in. I'm confident that were I on a ground sleeping pad, I'd be able to burrito myself into the TQ. Sure, if I knew I'd have to be on the ground for the trip, or more than a couple of days on a longer trip, I'd use a sleeping bag and keep it open like a TQ when used that way. But if I wanted to just cover the bases for an occasional ground experience, I'm sure the HG Wide option would do the job.

That said, I'm not a very large person. Also, it's been years since I bought my Wide TQ. Maybe now "wide" is standard? I'd voice my concerns with the vendors you are considering.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    On the ground the 55" works well for me and I am not a small person. Side sleeping on a pad may require more width but the straps on the HG quilts help a lot.
    Lurker for years here - Trying to increase my post count so I can sell one of my hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12