Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Learned how to splice zing-it yesterday

I researched splicing zing-it yesterday. Found some old coax and cut out the copper core and used that as my tool. Made some continuous loops and brummel eye splices last night. Tapered with 3.5 inch bury.

It's awesome being able to splice! I upgraded my lines to zing-it earlier this year, but didn't know how to splice, or even really consider it as an option. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

20231019_235845.jpg_compressed.JPEG20231020_000055.jpg_compressed.JPEG20231019_235730_1.jpg_compressed.JPEG20231020_015116.jpg_compressed.JPEG20231020_015459.jpg_compressed.JPEG

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Good for you. And well done! Your splices look great!

But beware ... it can get addictive. I got so carried away at one point that I was splicing CLs from 1mm dyneema fishing line to serve as prussiks for my Zing-it ridgelines, etc. I needed to use a magnifier I had from my old computer building days and still thought I might go blind. On the plus side. once you get around to splicing different items using 7/64" and 1/8" Amsteel, that will be a walk in the park for you!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Images
    Nice work! Those looped TarpTicks will be super handy - and versatile in that you can rig them to either your tarp corners or your stakes. A while back, I made some with Dutch Fleaz, each one also spliced directly through the eye of a titanium nail. Similar to these, but with the stake and hardware riding on a CL, rather than the way these are with a locked brummel at each end.

As PopcornFool said, if you've never spliced Amsteel before, doing that would be a cake walk for you now.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Oh you are into it now. Those look really good to me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Very nice! (sideways looking at the rolls of Dynema hanging on my wall I've bought thinking I could use another CL)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks all! Finished making 8 lines with Brummel eye splices. Planning to have eye splices on all of my lines and store them in Dutch cord winders. I also have 10 tarpticks and 6 tarp fleaz on the way that will get CLs.

20231022_000623.jpg_compressed.JPEG20231022_000648.jpg_compressed.JPEG

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Good for you. And well done! Your splices look great!

But beware ... it can get addictive. I got so carried away at one point that I was splicing CLs from 1mm dyneema fishing line to serve as prussiks for my Zing-it ridgelines, etc. I needed to use a magnifier I had from my old computer building days and still thought I might go blind. On the plus side. once you get around to splicing different items using 7/64" and 1/8" Amsteel, that will be a walk in the park for you!
    It's definitely addictive! My wife was asking me why I need to be doing all this splicing right now until 2am when I have all winter. Splicing 1mm line sounds tough, but I bet it was rewarding! Yes, I am looking forward to trying Amsteel. It should be pretty easy after doing zing-it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Nice work! Those looped TarpTicks will be super handy - and versatile in that you can rig them to either your tarp corners or your stakes. A while back, I made some with Dutch Fleaz, each one also spliced directly through the eye of a titanium nail. Similar to these, but with the stake and hardware riding on a CL, rather than the way these are with a locked brummel at each end.

As PopcornFool said, if you've never spliced Amsteel before, doing that would be a cake walk for you now.
    Thanks! Yes, I love the tarp ticks. I have 10 more on the way that will all get CLs. I have not only my hammock tarp, but large camp tarp and sometimes tent sauna lines to run, as well. I like your idea with the stakes. I have thought about this, but instead I am going to leave hardware on my tie-outs, put eye splices in all of my lines, and store the lines in cord winders. A lot of times I will tie off to a tree or something else, rather than use stakes. It will be nice to have a whole system which does not use any knots, apart from larks heads of course. I am hoping to have as fast, clean, and tangle-free setup as possible.
    Last edited by eshold; 10-22-2023 at 13:35.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My hardware showed up yesterday. Got everything on CLs last night!

20231024_102302.jpg_compressed.JPEG

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eshold View Post
    My hardware showed up yesterday. Got everything on CLs last night!
    Those look amazing! You should be proud of the work you've done. Since it takes about ~66 repetitions of a task before it becomes a habit, I figure you've only got about 50 more to make before you'll do them in your sleep
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    eshold, if you visit a store like Joanns or Michaels, they will have hooks/pulls in the knitting supply area. There are sizes that work well in 7/64th and sizes for smaller Dynema. Also, if you like to use wire, there are plastic beads you can buy that, when heated in boiling water, become pliable and you can mold them together like clay. So you can put a 90-degree bend at the handle end of your wire and embed it in a plastic handle molded to your hand shape. Works great. A music supply/instrument shop often has plenty of small, scrap, wire.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Splicing is a Super Hero skill~~~
    Whooooo Buddy)))

Shug