Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder

Historical Camping?

Hello hammock campers!

Does anyone here do any historical/re-enactment camping in a hammock?

Our homeschool living history group has a campout each year. And each year we ‘live’ in a different time period (Medieval, Colonial America, Old West, Fur Trade, Great War, etc.).

For the last several years, I have hammock camped in the modern camping area. However, for next year, I was thinking of trying to transition to the historical side of camp. It is quieter on that side. Plus it would be a fun challenge.

One hammocker in the group has simply strung his hammock and then pitched a historical-looking canvas tarp over it. That works okay, I suppose. (This group is more about aesthetics than absolute historical accuracy.) But I would need to keep the doors of the tarp closed throughout the day. That is no fun.

I was hoping maybe someone here would have some experience in camping historically with a hammock. Any tips or tricks you could share? I would especially like inexpensive DIY ideas as I do not want to spend a lot on a second setup. I like my modern Chameleon with its bug net. Perhaps there is a better way to hide it?

This is only for myself as my husband does not usually attend and our son uses a bivvy and tarp. We will be ‘living in WWII next year, but something that could work for almost any time period would be preferable.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Sounds pretty cool. Have you looked up any images from that time period? Here is one I found. ww2junglehammock.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Sounds pretty cool. Have you looked up any images from that time period? Here is one I found. ww2junglehammock.jpg
    Thanks! I have not researched WWII hammocks yet. I figured I would start with the experts here.

Where did you find that pic? Did it have any written description?

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    Thanks! I have not researched WWII hammocks yet. I figured I would start with the experts here.

Where did you find that pic? Did it have any written description?
    Here is the link where I found it. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...1943-469104969

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Perfect! Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    My granddad had several old canvas army-looking hammocks hung up in a stand of trees when I was a kid (early-mid '80s)...no clue if they were actual army regulation, but if I recall correctly, they had some markings that made me think they were military.

Lots of interesting possibilities! I got a chance to stay with friends at a medieval re-enactment camp once and it was fascinating. The canvas tents were much quieter than modern materials, and cooler in the summer for sure.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    Is it WWII era?

One of the teens in our group might like it. They’re young enough to not need to worry about comfort. Haha! Having a real WWII hammock would be cool - especially since a lot of the kids use hammocks.
    I believe it's just a bit later, 50-60s, I don't remember exactly and I don't have it w/ me to check.
    But like I said I don't have it w/ me and it will probably be a month or so before I'm back to that location.
    They're kind of fiddly to set up. This one was cool in the fact that it had sleeves down both sides so the it could become an instant stretcher by adding a couple poles.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    Last edited by LowTech; 10-10-2023 at 13:23.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    My granddad had several old canvas army-looking hammocks hung up in a stand of trees when I was a kid (early-mid '80s)...no clue if they were actual army regulation, but if I recall correctly, they had some markings that made me think they were military.

Lots of interesting possibilities! I got a chance to stay with friends at a medieval re-enactment camp once and it was fascinating. The canvas tents were much quieter than modern materials, and cooler in the summer for sure.
    Those canvas hammocks sound interesting. I’ll have to investigate that possibility.

And yes! The canvas tents can definitely be cooler and quieter than modern ones. And much heavier. Haha!

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I was a kid in the fifties, and we had two hammocks from the army surplus store, a jungle hammock like the one pictured and a heavy white canvas hammock (navy). I used the jungle hammock on family camping trips, and the white hammock got a lot of use in the back yard. I just looked, and you can find both types on ebay.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Perhaps you could find some old history of hammocks used in ships of the past. Maybe US navy archives?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast