Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Recommendation Please?

My 10 year old Wilderness Logics TQ is finally ready for retirement. We miss you Marty.

Looking for a new TQ for this winter. Down to -10 degrees Fahrenheit would be ideal. I’ve been out of the loop for awhile. Who/what am I looking at? Thanks

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Hammock Gear and Trailheadz are two vendors that you could check, among others.
    Shop, shop around, but place your order EARLY, because sometimes there can be a backlog of orders.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Definitely a lot of excellent vendors out there for top quilts (HG, Trailheadz, UGQ, Jack R Better, Enlightened Equipment, Katabatic Gear, Western Mountaineering, Warbonnet, Feathered Friends, Loco Libre, ZPacks, ...).

For a -10 degree TQ, one thing you may want to consider is how much bulk the quilt has in your pack. I know there are plenty of vendors who use 800 fp or higher, but for me, I'd want some nice 1000 fp unicorn fur.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Buy once cry once. I love my Loco Libre winter quilts. Well worth the wait.

Images
    Stay warm with the Western Mountaineering Lynx GWS XL. 34-ounces of 850 down, and 3 1/2 lbs weight and a rating of -10 deg F. Buy once, cry once.

https://www.westernmountaineering.co...ries/lynx-gws/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When you get into those temperatures, usually the bulk of the quilt indicates hauling gear with a pulk. My older Feathered Friends IBEX (long +4 oz overstuff), uncompressed, in its storage bag, is almost taller than I am. My thinking is, that there are more sleeping bags (and used sleeping bags - a lot less than $900) designed for those expedition temperatures than the usual Hammock TQ. So you'd just unzip the sleeping to about 2 ft from the bottom (keeping the "footbox") and use it like a top quilt. Or zip it completely up so there is absolutely no potential for any side draft. You'll still need a UQ because you'll be compressing any down under you.

You also have pads you can add, full-coverage Hammock Socks (with ventilation to counter condensation challenges), vaper barrier supplements, etc.

[content modified to remove mention of potential gear becoming for sale - the intent was to give an example of solutions out there that are more affordable than purchasing a premium expedition down bag.]
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-11-2023 at 20:25.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Might consider stacking insulation (including clothing) at those extreme temps, also. A 20° (or 10°, 0°) may be suitable for the vast majority of your nights, while a sub-zero TQ might be too warm a lot of the time. It depends on your usage of course, and how warm your internal furnace runs. As some have mentioned, a sub-zero TQ isn't as common, as a lot of the makers stop at 0° or above. Loco Libre makes a TQ down to -40° and Warbonnet makes their (-10°) Scandi, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket (one piece of insulation) below 0°, especially over multiple nights as the quilt may lose performance if unable to fully dry between uses.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-12-2023 at 09:18.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Might also consider stacking insulation (including clothing) at those extreme temps, also. A 20° (or 10°, 0°) may be suitable for the vast majority of your nights, while a sub-zero TQ might be too warm a lot of the time. It depends on your usage of course, and how warm your internal furnace runs. As some have mentioned, a sub-zero TQ isn't as common, as a lot of the makers stop at 0° or above. Loco Libre makes a TQ down to -40° and Warbonnet makes their (-10°) Scandi, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket (one piece of insulation) below 0°, especially over multiple nights as the quilt may lose performance if unable to fully dry between uses.
    cmc4free makes a good point regarding different temps on different nights. And there is another consideration that supports stacking as well - how hot you sleep.

I'll often get too warm and sweaty in my 20* TQ when temps are in the 30s. Easy enough in those conditions, though, to slip the quilt off my shoulders for a while to cool off. But tossing aside the TQ, even for a few minutes, can be dangerous when you're sweaty at temps approaching 0* and below. I'm sure you know all about that in NH.

Stacking a 20* and a 40* TQ should get you down to -10*. If the weather doesn't quite get down that cold and you get too warm in that combo, you can slip off the outer quilt and still have the inner quilt to protect you somewhat while you cool off. You don't have that option with a single quilt. And if you are like a lot of us who hang all four seasons, you likely already have 20* and 40* TQs in your collection.

There are two major negatives to this approach, of course. First, it takes a bit of practice to learn how to stack TQs effectively. But as you know, pretty much everything related to hammocks has a learning curve. Second, volume and weight may be prohibitive. If you are planning these deep winter hangs as part of a backpacking trip, a 20* and 40* TQ combo will almost certainly take up more space in your pack and weigh more than a single -10* TQ simply because you're dealing with twice as much fabric. (I realize this point is probably obvious to you with your experience, but there may be new hammock hangers reading and learning from this thread too.) Of course weight and volume are not quite as much of an issue if you're car camping or pulling a pulk.

I'm not trying to sell you on stacking. Everyone hangs their own hang. But since cmc4free mentioned the option, I just thought I'd throw out some additional related thoughts for consideration.

The only vendors I'm aware of that offer sub-0* TQs include: Loco Libre, Enlightened Equipment, and Superior Gear.
    Last edited by PopcornFool; 10-12-2023 at 01:41.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yessir...stacking works well. I've done it for years in deep Winter camping here in Minnesota.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

You can check Hammock gear burrow

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast