Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch

yobo freedom (1) vs tensa solo

I guess I have a specific question. I've been using a tensa solo for a couple years, but I need to replace it due to my incompetence. Ha!

I would just buy another, but we have an option now. They weigh and pack roughly the same. Yobo looks a lot more complex and is twice the price. I'm not too concerned with that if it is better in one instance.

With 2 poles with yobo vs. 1 with a tensa solo. Do those 2 poles affect anchoring at all? Put another way, does the Yobo require less secure anchors? They just use large,.simple anchors, vs tensa screws or equivalent. The anchoring seems to be less secure. This seems to me to be the only thing the Yobo (potentially) does better than a tensa solo.

Thanks

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    I guess I have a specific question. I've been using a tensa solo for a couple years, but I need to replace it due to my incompetence. Ha!
    Why do you need to replace it? All the components are available in the Tensa store. Just replace the parts that no longer work, much less expensive that way.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Why do you need to replace it? All the components are available in the Tensa store. Just replace the parts that no longer work, much less expensive that way.
    It's likely in 2 dumps 3 states apart from each other at this point. Any thoughts on the anchors? I find anchoring the weak point on any system. Less you need in the first place the better

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    It's likely in 2 dumps 3 states apart from each other at this point. Any thoughts on the anchors? I find anchoring the weak point on any system. Less you need in the first place the better
    A monopod like Solo requires 2 anchors. A bipod like Freedom requires only 1. With both designs, anchors pulling out of loose soil is absolutely the #1 point of failure. Yes, 2 anchors hold better than 1, almost twice as well, all else equal. There is no one anchor design that is absolutely better than another: soil composition and anchoring technique/layout matters more. A monopod lets you shift the load to de-stress the weaker anchor: https://youtu.be/AIo6XWYKG5Q . Monopods also present fewer challenges setting up on slopes; with a bipod, the downslope leg will come closer to its buckling point, whether it is extended to center the hub or not.

You say Solo and Freedom weigh and pack roughly the same. Solo is in fact much lighter and somewhat smaller. YOBO cites their weight (and price) without anchors, tarp extensions, or bag, so direct comparisons take a little digging.

At time of writing, a Solo with 2 Amsteel guylines and integral tarp extension weighs 30oz, while a Freedom with a single guyline and optional tarp extension weighs 40oz.

Solo packs to 21" long (reducible to 20" with removal of an optional internal spacer; this is max for many hard motorbike panniers). Freedom length isn't given, but I infer from bag that it's 22". Freedom bag is 10oz; Solo's is under 1oz.

A Freedom with 2 spade anchors, tarp extension, and bag weighs 66oz and costs $291 (not including 2nd guyline for 2nd anchor).

A Solo with 2 Peggy Peg anchors, 2 Amsteel UCR guylines, tarp extension, and bag weighs 36oz and costs $137.

So, Freedom is nearly double the weight and more than double the price of Solo, comparably accessorized. Trekking Treez is much lighter yet at 12oz per hiking pole excluding anchors and other pieces exclusive to hammock mode, replacing your trekking poles and their weight, and still cheaper than Freedom.

Corrections welcome.

Of course, if your camping is motor-vehicle based, where weight and packed size matter less than in backpacking, you should strongly consider not using any stand that requires strong anchoring like Solo or Freedom, but instead Tensa4 (or YOBO Cricket/Hive). Cricket/Hive requires no anchoring at all (unless there's any wind), while Tensa4's single required anchor line needs to handle only about half your body weight. A picnic table or vehicle or base of woody shrub suffices. These also make better anchor choices when available for Solo/TT or Freedom than ground anchors you must drive in.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 09-28-2023 at 15:22.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Any thoughts on the anchors? I find anchoring the weak point on any system. Less you need in the first place the better
    If the anchor is the weak point (and I believe it is), then using fewer anchors is the wrong approach. You can either use fewer anchors if they are strong (base of woody shrubs, behind roots, deeply embedded rocks, deep anchors you carry) OR you can use multiple weaker (and lighter) anchors that are self-equalizing. Two anchors of the same type, in the same soil, that loads are balanced are always stronger than one anchor of the same type and conditions.

Is a single anchor with a bipod stronger than 2 anchors on a monopod? I can't imagine it is. Again, you have to compare the same type of anchor and same soil for a valid comparison. In my fairly extensive experience and testing, the deeper the anchor the better. For a given depth, the wider the anchor the better (deeper is far more important than width) as long as the soil is not disturbed more. Regardless of the number of anchors, in any soil that is not rock hard, or the anchor is not behind something, anything less than 12" seems to fail at my whopping 140#. YMMV.

That said, the anchors tend to be the heaviest part of the systems. So carry the lightest and best anchors you can for the expected conditions
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Images
    Go with the Cricket stand if weight is not an issue...no anchors needed as Latherdome mentions

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Thanks latherdome and rafting Tigger. I appreciate your thoughtful responses and will likely buy another tensa solo. I like options, and buying the same thing is kinda boring, although likely the best tool for the job.

• + New Posts