Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Exactly, just remember that spreading the two stakes apart and pulling on the dogbone in the middle is like have a hammock strung too tight. It's better if they look like a "V" after the stakes are attached to the guylines.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    What I had in mind when I was brainstorming after a stake pulled out while I was testing in my sandy back hard was to attach the strap to a boomstake, and then put one end of the dogbone around the head of the boomstake and the other in a line away from the strap, to the orange screw. So the two stakes would be in line with the strap, and the orange screw would help support the boomstake from any lateral movement. I made the dogbones and put them in my kit with the Solo, but haven’t tried to use them yet, and don’t know that it would work. I would not be shocked if someone on the forum were to tell me it would not work for some reason. I was packing the Solo for a trip on which I did not wind up needing it, so was prepping for potential issues. I would certainly keep your diagram in mind if my original thought turns out to be flawed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have the Solo and use it some but not as much as I hang from poles. Currently I've been on a double pole stand (one pole at each end) in the desert for the last 6 months.
    If you're going to use a couple Solos (since you said "treeless") expect to be close to the ground if you angle the poles very much away from the hammock. And I would recommend some degree of away angle, especially in sandy areas, as it lessens the amount of pressure on the ground anchors.
    Also you'll probably want to put something under the base of the Solos to prevent them sinking into the sand. I've used everything from tree bark to empty soup cans.

For stakes you could use "sand stakes", or if you're a little bit handy 12" - 18" angled aluminum cut w/ a pointy end and maybe some holes drilled (see availability sand stakes) would work great.
    Sometimes I double or triple stake.
    Double staking you've already got using a dogbone (I use 3' ones for double staking and 6' ones for triple).
    To triple stake I've been using the 6' dogbone and kind of making a cursive "M" by going through the loop on the guyline twice.
    I'll work on getting a photo of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRoger70 View Post
    What I had in mind when I was brainstorming after a stake pulled out while I was testing in my sandy back hard was to attach the strap to a boomstake, and then put one end of the dogbone around the head of the boomstake and the other in a line away from the strap, to the orange screw. So the two stakes would be in line with the strap, and the orange screw would help support the boomstake from any lateral movement. I made the dogbones and put them in my kit with the Solo, but haven’t tried to use them yet, and don’t know that it would work. I would not be shocked if someone on the forum were to tell me it would not work for some reason. I was packing the Solo for a trip on which I did not wind up needing it, so was prepping for potential issues. I would certainly keep your diagram in mind if my original thought turns out to be flawed.

Similar to this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    That’s what I was thinking — we’ve used stakes in a line like that to hold up monkey bridges in Boy Scouts.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I used it to test it out and since I knew it from big truck recovery w/ a winch. It works if the issue is that the stake wants to pull over. Boom stakes are designed to pressure the stakes in a way that causes them not to pull over that way as easily.
    For the need of more stakes in the ground I'd rather just crowfoot them out. Quick and simple.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >I'm afraid I can't find your report. Do you have a link to it? Thanks...

https://tinyurl.com/5dd37und

It was posted on 09/25/2022 in Trip Reports
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Walhalla Asym
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/LL TQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I do not have experience with the solo. But I have set up the Tensa 4 in alot of places. Have you thought of attaching a spade type anchor and burying it in the loose sand at a distance away. I have had success with this https://yobogear.com/shop/spade-anchor/ but unfortunetly do not have any pictures.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    At risk of redundancy/spamming, I made a video of my best Solo/Treez anchoring tips. Applies equally to DIY versions, any monopod stand really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIo6XWYKG5Q

In a nutshell: it's all in how you angle the poles to distribute the load away from any weak anchors. Lean the poles away from the hammock as much as height requirements allow, using short hammock suspension (typically the continuous loops connected directly to the poles). Then move the pole's feet away from the weak anchor(s) a short distance, out of plumb.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Might also help to a disc at the base on the pole to minimize sinking. I have used a clean out cap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast