Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.0
    Insulation
    Top & Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Hammock Camping & Thru-hiking Planning Tools and Resources

Hey everyone!

I was wondering whether anyone has any idea or is aware of any hammock specific tools/resources for planning thru-hikes etc.

I am looking for a tool or resource where I can filter through hiking trail suggestion listings in terms of hammock friendliness.
    In other words, if it's possible to hike the entirety or parts of the trail using a hammock.

Another great resource example can be people's adventure blogs that have hiked a wide range of trails using their hammocks and have documented it. Any suggestions are welcome!

I have attached a map image to show my main points of interest in terms of countries for now etc. However, all resources are welcome and can be used for future hikes (ie. US, Asia etc etc)

I know this can be done in other ways using land cover maps etc etc, but I am trying to see if there is another way around.

Any help and inputs will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Your best bet might be trolling the Bicycle Forums for traveling in Spain and Scotland. A better solution will be Google Earth Pro, to scout the area that you choose to hike through.

I say off-road bicycle travel because you will be able to search a greater area than just hiking along.

You are only asking for trouble if you attempt to "Stealth Camp" in unknown area's because as we all know... "You're Gonna Die".

On the other hand, Sweden, Norway and the Finns have a more tolerant attitude to roaming about.

Try searching Bikepacking Europe (etc...) for some additional resources.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I think there was a hammock map (on ios, not sure about android) that was a crowd sourced type app where you could go add/review hammock spots.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Not sure if this is valuable to you, but Sierra Madre Research lists all the US National Parks and whether hammock camping is allowed either in campsites or in back country or both and any rules or restrictions. Link is here: https://sierramadreresearch.com/blog...national-parks

It would be great (wouldn't it?) if sites/apps like AllTrails, HikingUpward, OLT, Modern Hiker, the Outbound, HiiKER, REI's Hiking Project, etc. had filters specifically for hammock worthiness.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickled_Adventures View Post
    Hey everyone!

I was wondering whether anyone has any idea or is aware of any hammock specific tools/resources for planning thru-hikes etc.
    ----------snip---------
    Any help and inputs will be much appreciated.
    While it's not exactly what you're looking for, FarOut's comments section often has entries indicating whether or not a particular site is hammock friendly. It's going to be hit or miss depending on whether or not anyone mentions hammocks and trees in any particular comment.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts