2023 NOVA Hang / Nov 10-12 / Prince William Forest Virginia

Save the Date November 10-12, 2023 for this years Annual NOVA Hang at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle, Virginia.

Signup here
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FSN_vqbyY/edit

We are proud to be part of the Old Dominion Hangers.

The Park is less than an hour south of DC and hour or so north of Richmond and less than 2 hours from Charlottesville.

We will be hanging in the Oak Ridge Campground. 'A' loop, centered around the sites 25-35.

The park is hammock friendly and can accomodate up to around 3-4 hangers per site. The caviat is just two cars per site. There is overflow parking nearby.

Costs
    There is a $20 fee per car, $15 motorcycle
    OTE: Starting May 1, 2023, Prince William Forest Park will enter a trial period of no longer accepting cash for park entrance fees. Entrance fees and passes can be purchased with credit/debit card, mobile payment app, or online through recreation.gov.

Each campsite site is $26 per night. Again these are available online thru recreation.gov

The sites are on a first come / first serve basis. This time of year the park is fairly empty.

There are several hiking trails through the park and other things to do
    https://www.nps.gov/prwi/

Food

Saturday's dinner - Potluck. In the past food was out of this world (sorta like a nova).

In years past the temps have been in the 20s or in the 70’s. Welcome to VA weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    HG 10x12 Journey
    Insulation
    Lynx, REI UQ
    Hi Jimbo

Just a quick FYI. If you can, please confirm with the park that up to 4 hangers are permitted per site. I bring this up because last October 4 of us were at A34 and the ranger came by and made 2 of us move to another site. He agreed that 4 campers were allowed per site but that each hammock represents a tent and that only 2 tents per site were allowed.

I asked him what would the difference be if four of us were just laying on the ground and he said that would be fine. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The place was fairly empty so we complied and didn't have to rent another site but we need to know for sure how many hangers can set up at each site. Maybe the ranger was new, who knows. Regardless we need an opinion from the park because issue would double the amount of sites and cost.

Thanks
    Doug

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    It looks like all of the sites are already reserved. Do we just show up and pay Jimbo for the sites as we have before? I realize the parking pass is seperate.Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howsithanging View Post
    It looks like all of the sites are already reserved. Do we just show up and pay Jimbo for the sites as we have before? I realize the parking pass is seperate.Thanks!
    I don't believe you absolutely must hang in A25-A35. Jimbo just mentioned those sites because that's where the group tends to congregate ... on that south side of the A Loop. But you can still book at any of the other sites in the campground. Jimbo, please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are still a lot of other sites available on the other side of the A Loop. The loop isn't that wide and you'll still be close by. Actually, if you hang in any of the inside campsites on the north side of the loop (the even numbers A12-A24) you might be searching the same trees to hang from as the inside sites on the south side of the loop (the even numbers A28-A34). The east end of the B Loop (B20-25 and B01-04) is also really close to where most others will be hanging. I hung in B20 when we were last in Oak Ridge Campground and didn't feel like I was separated from the group at all.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    HG 10x12 Journey
    Insulation
    Lynx, REI UQ
    Morning Travelers

I just checked recreation.gov and the following sites are still available:

1-19
    21-23
    38-40

I also noticed that the NPS has revised the campsite limitations section to read "...and two tents (or camping units) per site. Given this new text and our park ranger interaction last fall, it does appear that only two hammocks per site will be allowed.

FYI our group of four has A32 and A20.

Haven't decided on the pot luck contribution yet. Leaning towards Al Pastor something, maybe kabobs?

Have a great week!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    I am assuming that reserving a site covers parking since 2 vehicles are allowed on each site. I just reserved A18 on loop a and it would not let me add in the vehicle count. I could type in a 1 but it would remove it when I went to the next field. Thoughts??

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howsithanging View Post
    I am assuming that reserving a site covers parking since 2 vehicles are allowed on each site. I just reserved A18 on loop a and it would not let me add in the vehicle count. I could type in a 1 but it would remove it when I went to the next field. Thoughts??
    A18 is one of the sites recommended for RVs so it should have plenty of parking for 2 vehicles. Not sure why the system won't let you load number of vehicles. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The park rangers won't call you out on disparity between your reservation and what's actually on site unless you are violating one of their posted policies.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    As many of you know, we can't hang in the Turkey Run Ridge Group Campground for NoVA Hang this time and must go back to the book-your-own-sites place at Oak Ridge Campground.

I spent a couple of days in the woods at Prince William Forest Park this past weekend. While I was there, out of curiosity I did a drive-by the group campground to see what's up with the closure. You can still get to the parking lot and some of the hiking trails are still open, but large sections of the area have been fenced off. Apparently they are doing some kind of utility work. I've attached a picture of a sign offering the only information available. I've also attached a photo of what sites H & I look like right now. Hopefully this all gets completed by February, I would hate for it to impact the Chili Butt Hang too.

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    A18 is one of the sites recommended for RVs so it should have plenty of parking for 2 vehicles. Not sure why the system won't let you load number of vehicles. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The park rangers won't call you out on disparity between your reservation and what's actually on site unless you are violating one of their posted policies.
    Sounds good to me, looking forward to seeing everyone

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I will be there.

• + New Posts