Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    The proof is in the pudding
    Or if your choice of suspension works for you, then it works for you.
    I have seven grandchildren, no telling what would happen if half of them jumped in my hammock.
    Seven monkeys change things. Like you would not hang your UL fragile hammock with even one monkey around. Variables we can control for we do control for, and that you have done.

I’m a cautious worry wart—I’ve chosen to use 1/8 inch amsteel in some of my suspensions, and some have 7/64 inch amsteel.
    And nothing wrong that, you sleep well and that is better than shaving a few grams being uncomfortable with it. Comfort is safety.

7/64 is a widely used size. There is something to be said for wisdom of the herd. But I see no reason for you to scrap your rope, until and unless it fails during use.
    Widely used there is no doubt about, but running with the heard just because the herd runs? If all are thinking the same then someone isn't thinking. Herein lies the core of the poodle - I want to know why the herd runs and the answer "because the herd runs" doesn't satisfy my curiosity. I am happy to stay in the box if I have 'thought the thoughts' outside of that box. To boldly go where noone has gone before? Very few of us will ever come even close to it. But to know where I am going and why, seeing what is on the other side of that ridge that is the limit of the box? Certainly.

Good luck, join in on all topics hammocks!
    Thank you - will do!

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    You seem to have "convinced" yourself that 2mm is adequate. Many folks here have found that, over time, less than 7/64" (~2.8mm) just isn't worth the risk. It's not "magic." (It's also not rocket science or brain surgery!!!) I think the various responses are only trying to convince you that you may be wrong...

As far as using 2mm for the various tarp lines, it's worth considering that, if you're going to use UHMWPE cordage, it doesn't do well with knots. Hence the various bits of hardware that a number of folks use with 1.7. And, if you're possibly considering a one-piece tarp ridgeline with NAMA claws, 2mm isn't going to work. Folks who don't like to use hardware mostly shy away from UHMWPE cordage (except where splicing get the needed result.)
    At least you don't claim I am trying to convince any one else. I am not sure I have convinced myself though, further than 'I am convinced that facts has to be questioned in order to learn something from them'

Reg rocket science. I worked with a rocket scientist once. At one point he leaned fwd to me and whispered: 'llet you on a secre' mate - no' e'en rocke' science 's rocke' science'. Did I believe him? Well, I couldn't check his facts more than at face value (I am not a rocket scientist when all comes around) but when I hired him it said phD in his papers and his references checked out. I questioned his hypothesis' and he argued for them. Now, he could have fooled me w the math, there is a reason I didn't go for physics... (Aha! Now we know why MrCrumbles has no common sense!)

Note on brain surgery: have not had any (Aha! Now we know why MrCrumbles has no common sense!)

It is noteworthy though, that questioning established Truths in a society stirs up feelings. Even though these Truths are so true they can't be untrue. I guess that is the way the cookie crumbles (English isn't my first language so bear w me if I get them colloquials all up in a twist. Just be careful w them knickers though)

(Aha! Now we know why MrCrumbles has no common sense!)
    Last edited by MrCrumbles; 09-06-2023 at 15:29.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrumbles View Post

(Aha! Now we know why MrCrumbles has no common sense!)
    "Common sense" is my second-favorite oxymoron...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I question a lot of things some hammock campers do, but the choice of materials is based largely on what is available and what has proven to work over time.

7/64" Amsteel is one of those materials. I've seen people hanging on 2.2mm Dynaglide, but I sure as heck wouldn't recommend it for anyone weighing more than 150lbs. For suspension, I use 10g/m Kevlar webbing but that is very hard to find these days. A good alternative, IMO, is Myerstech hybrid poly/dyneema.

For ridge lines, a lot of people prefer Zing-it with hardware, as TominMN notes, and I prefer Lawson Glowire (2mm) because it is far superior for knot-only systems.

If you find something better I'm sure everyone would like to hear about it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I'm guessing there are far fewer people hanging on Dynaglide than there are people who used to hang on Dynaglide...

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    "Common sense" is my second-favorite oxymoron...
    And we are dying to hear the first...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    /.../
    I've seen people hanging on 2.2mm Dynaglide, but I sure as heck wouldn't recommend it for anyone weighing more than 150lbs. /.../
    Based on what?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

And we are dying to hear the first...
    "Politically correct" / "Political correctness"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Based on what?
    Nominal rating ~1000lb, significantly reduced by any sort of turn or knot by who knows how much, edging close to failure with who knows what dynamic loading and/or wear history, overstress from bad hang angle, non-chamfered hardware...

All to 'save' maybe 20 grams?

I'm personally a huge advocate of UL, or at least very light if I can't squeeze my kit into the strict '10lb or less base weight' definition, but one has to appreciate and understand the ramifications of gear failure out on a trail, where it can be very, very inconvenient. While it's probably not going to kill you, it can lead to some miserable nights or a ruined trip. There are usually many other places in the pack to reduce weight by a few ounces here and there.

BUT, experimentation is part of the fun, or not so fun, so have at it. However it's good to research and to understand what has come before and that most things have been tried and discarded for various valid reasons.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast