Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Use what we sometimes here in the Midwest call "screenings" (FA5). They are a pretty fine crushed limestone that'll settle or can be packed down and become almost concrete like but will still drain. I would make sure the hole is big enough to fit the end of a 2x4 all around the post. That'll give you room to put enough screenings into the hole to be useful and to use the 2x4 to pack them tight.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250, WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Guy line for now with that steel cable your talking about. At least that would get you stable quickly but you've a tripping hazard and maybe a frustration point when mowing the lawn. Down the road you might just want to frame up a stand with cross bar you hang beneath. You can move it around where you like and don't have to deal with posts cemented into the ground when you no longer even use them any longer.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Figured I'd toss some in the ring as well....
    I do not think those posts will snap, but they may get pulled over by the force from the hammock suspension acting as a lever.
    Guylines will work - millions of telephone poles can't be wrong. BUT, if you want less obstructions when using your yard/mowing, as others have mentioned a crossbar can be added. Since you're hanging from the posts themselves you could still do a cross member and even make it removable. I suppose you could get really fancy and cut a notch in the top of your posts which will allow a cross member to sit on, and have a small perpendicular piece on each end of the cross member. That way when you set it in, it rests in the notches cut, but the perpendicular piece pressing on the inside of the posts will transfer the lever force into the cross member and into the opposing post.
    Something like this (top down looking at the cross member and ASCII art):

-I------I-

If you do not want to notch the posts, you could still use a cross member like above and just set it on top of the posts. Since your posts are square there is less chance of the cross member rolling off the sides and once you put weight in the hammock it would have forces pressing on both sides to friction fit into place. Or you can always run a screw through the cross member into the post.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Or you can always run a screw through the cross member into the post.

Or just an "L" bracket to hold it in place.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12