Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting out of hammock, and sitting

Does anyone have any good tips for easily getting out of a hammock and for sitting down and lounging? I have an 1.7 MTN single layer 11' gathered end hammock with 83% ridgeline. When I first go to get into the hammock, I can sit and it feels really good, everything seems at the exact correct height and I can stand up easily again at this point with hardly any effort. But after I lay in it for awhile and try to get out, I pull up on the ridgeline, and go to sit and the edge digs in hard to my thigh and is uncomfortable to put my shoes back on and I also feel like I'm lower at that point too which adds a little bit more difficulty getting out. Is that because the hammock stretched while I was in it? Does anyone have any good tips out to easily get out of a hammock? I have tried walking backwards and that does work but when I do that it pushes my tyvek sheet back and is annoying. I'm just wondering if there is any easier way. I really need an easier way to get out because last week I had horrible night cramps in my legs and every time I tried to get out, my leg cramps said nope, you will stay there and suffer and howl in pain.

Also, I would like to be able to sit in the hammock a little more comfortably. I've tried straddling the hammock, and that's good, but I'd like to sit and look out the side and lounge that way too but I'm still not finding a good way to do it yet.

I've tried searching for this but I didn't find very much. Please help this hammock newbie out!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Once you are sitting in hammock with your feet on ground, you should be able to stand up—unless your hammock is too close to ground.
    Best way to stand up, if your hammock is too close to ground, is to back up or walk backwards while still sitting—this will get you high enough to stand up.
    Some will still have trouble getting to a standing position—this may be due to injuries, muscle weakness, coordination and balance challenges.

If hammock is too close to ground, move suspension straps a bit higher up your trees.

Different subject
    Have trouble going from laying in hammock, to sitting upright with both feet on ground.

A common mistake is to try to do a sit up motion.
    I usually just fall back in hammock and can’t get up

Solution
    Move both feet off edge of hammock. Use feet to move you, so that you are at an angle to hammock.
    Not straight in line with hammock, and not 90* to hammock—somewhere in between.

Now draw both knees to your chest. Then kick both feet up and out—extending your feet straight away from your torso.
    At same time, your arm furthest from edge of hammock, does a throwing motion, while your head turns to side you are exiting.

This maneuver will bring you into a sitting position in your hammock, with your feet on ground.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Does Shug have a video about this?
    I have trouble getting out as well, due to back issues. I started to use a hikeing stick I made from a hardwood branch. I put it in the ground between my feet and use my arms to help pull/push myself past that "half way" point where my back wants to give out.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Sometimes, I just roll out on to my knees and get up from there.

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBeard13 View Post
    Does Shug have a video about this?
    I have trouble getting out as well, due to back issues. I started to use a hikeing stick I made from a hardwood branch. I put it in the ground between my feet and use my arms to help pull/push myself past that "half way" point where my back wants to give out.
    I googled shug getting out of hammock videos and watched several but I didn't see one specific to getting out of the hammock though. I also have back issues but strangely enough, the hammock doesn't cause me any pain whatsoever and feels very good for me. I just wonder if there is some technique I'm missing. There has gotta be a good technique. I did see a video about a guy pushing off on the edge of the fabric and I'll try that next time. Here is a link to the video,
    https://youtu.be/AExtThwesTA?si=xdfimFo-xvTbBo5u
    That is a good idea about the hiking stick. I'll have to put one in an easy to grab spot and give that a shot. I was hammock-locked after several attempts last week needing to go use restroom middle of the night and calves cramps making it almost impossible to get out. My dog was probably wondering why I was howling like he does.
    Last edited by mattnin; 08-28-2023 at 14:40. Reason: adding link to a video I found

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Once you are sitting in hammock with your feet on ground, you should be able to stand up—unless your hammock is too close to ground.
    Best way to stand up, if your hammock is too close to ground, is to back up or walk backwards while still sitting—this will get you high enough to stand up.
    Some will still have trouble getting to a standing position—this may be due to injuries, muscle weakness, coordination and balance challenges.

If hammock is too close to ground, move suspension straps a bit higher up your trees.

Different subject
    Have trouble going from laying in hammock, to sitting upright with both feet on ground.

A common mistake is to try to do a sit up motion.
    I usually just fall back in hammock and can’t get up

Solution
    Move both feet off edge of hammock. Use feet to move you, so that you are at an angle to hammock.
    Not straight in line with hammock, and not 90* to hammock—somewhere in between.

Now draw both knees to your chest. Then kick both feet up and out—extending your feet straight away from your torso.
    At same time, your arm furthest from edge of hammock, does a throwing motion, while your head turns to side you are exiting.

This maneuver will bring you into a sitting position in your hammock, with your feet on ground.
    I've seen several posts about that, the kick and jump out method. I need to try that

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I've had a bad back for......several decades. Several items already mentioned, help me. I get my hammock just high enough to be in a sitting position, feet on the ground and stand up. The "walk back and up" is something for me to remember. With a bad back, I've learned decades ago in PT, to roll onto my side facing the way I want to get up. Use that arm under me to push myself up to a sitting position. same in hammock. swing legs over to the ground.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Images
    You need to raise your derriere when attempting to sit up. A simple z-fold sit pad will solve the problem.

Just fold it up and slide into there you want to sit up in, and then it will raise you up to where you can comfortably pull yourself up to sit. The hammock you are using will sag after a lounging in it. This is why I prefer polyester fabric, it is taught.

Image shows two polyester tablecloth hammocks ($15.00 each) and my indoor stand. No stretch in hammock fabric.

IMG_1415.JPG

I have found that the wider hammocks can be more difficult to exit from for the reasons you give, but the average width ones can be easier to get up from. The sag can also be too shallow, and to test that just clip a carribiner on the ridge line and wind the corg around it a few times, effectively shortening the ridgeline and deepening the hammock sag. Sometimes this works wonders.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

@mattnin,

Hello and welcome.

A quick and easy solution may be for you to just run another ridgeline/cordage line, seperate from your hammock ridgeline. Maybe place this just above your hammock ridgeline. You could then attach whatever type of handle/loop you wish to fashion, to said secondary ridgeline. Use that handle/ridgeline to pull your self up. The handle/loop could be made out of cordage, a bandanna, extra 1 inch webbing etc. You want a seperate seconday ridgeline to do this so that it doesnt stress your hammock set up.

The walking pole/stick is also a great mod. I find it best to have a hammock table nearby to prop the pole onto, for easier reach. Added bonus: you can use the pole to swing/sway the hammock as you sleep/relax.

Good luck finding a solution.

Happy Holiday all.

Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast