Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I never had this problem when I started with a Hennessey - just put your feet through the slit and stand up. Now I have a loop tied onto my ridgeline with a prusik knot to use as a handle to assist with getting up.

Images
    While lying in normal hammock position, I move my rear end close to the hammock edge before trying to sit up. It's easier for me to stand up this way, and a lot easier to walk my feet back when needed.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I have not seen any videos about getting out of a hammock, but Shug has at least one about sitting in a hammock. He recommends shortening the ridgeline with a carabiner as mentioned above. He also had a few other tips you may find helpful.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    I have not seen any videos about getting out of a hammock, but Shug has at least one about sitting in a hammock. He recommends shortening the ridgeline with a carabiner as mentioned above. He also had a few other tips you may find helpful.
    My video is more about sitting back in the hammock for breakfast from the hammock in the morning. Not sure I've ever done one about just sitting in the hammock or getting out of the hammock other than my circus stunt one which was just a goof.
    As far as ridge under the leg while sitting....if you fold back the front edge thus doubling it as a seat you can eliminate that edge cutting into the back of your leg. Or just jam your TQ or something under your knees.
    As far as sitting up in the hammock from laying I have seen a ridgeline loop added before you haul yourself up. Dream Hammock used to sell them. Here is a thread on the subject.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...and-Hand-Loops
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 08-31-2023 at 06:52.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug, that circus stunt video is really funny, love it!

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I have found that the wider hammocks can be more difficult to exit from for the reasons you give, but the average width ones can be easier to get up from. The sag can also be too shallow, and to test that just clip a carribiner on the ridge line and wind the corg around it a few times, effectively shortening the ridgeline and deepening the hammock sag. Sometimes this works wonders.
    My hammock is around 57" wide if not just a little wider. I'm so hesitant on trying a narrower hammock for getting out easier because this wider hammock seems to fit me and be so comfortable. I will get a carabiner and try that to temporarily increase the sag and see if that helps. I did see Shug's video on that. So many things to try!

I spent last night on the hammock in the mountains, and the hammock is getting easier to get out of, but still not effortless like I'm hoping to achieve. I usually reach up and grab the ridgeline, put my feet out, edge digs in, I painfully hurry up and put my shoes on, tyvek sheet loudly slides and crinkles beneath me as I try to walk back waking up the dog and a bunch of other shuffling and drama happens, I push with my hands and the whole hammock sways and I finally get out. I did figure out something that seems to help a little, I grab the foot end fabric with one hand, and push off with my other hand at the back of the the hammock. It sorta works. At least I didn't get cramps last night

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    mattnin, There's a hammock by SLD called Steamliner. It has a catenary (curved) cut along the edge - skipping the science part - that saves weight, and gives more visibility. But for some, it creates a hard edge behind the knees when sitting. It's all about making adjustments, and compromises, with your hammock setup so the system works for you.

On the cramping after a hard night on the trail - be sure you keep your electrolytes up - and not just at the end of the day. Drink them during the day. I have no affiliation but I use Vitalyte. That's the rebranded name for Gookin-aid. I started drinking Gookin-aid in 1974 when I did the Oregon PCT. It was formulated by a track coach, Bill Gookin, for his runners and has the interesting characteristic that when you drink it, you feel it go down your throat, and then it sort of disappears (quickly absorbed?). If I drink half a quart of water, I can feel/hear it sloshing around. When I drink that much Gookin-aid, it just disappears down my throat.

Though I usually don't go so far as to set an explicit timetable, on one hike to the top of a waterfall I did stop about every 25 minutes to take a drink. It really made a difference compared to hiking and only taking a drink when I felt I needed it. In other words, I was keeping ahead of the demand instead of trying to catch up with it.

One hand on the back edge of the hammock and one on the front edge is sort of optional for the GE hammock but almost mandatory for a Bridge Hammock. If not, you might get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8fJ05SSSDA
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder

Getting out of hammock, and sitting

Yep! That first video was the exact one I was thinking of. Very helpful for lounging.

And the second: I don’t think I had ever watched that one. Love it!

Thanks, Shug!

Oh! And Cougarmeat, that Lucy video: too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    On the cramping after a hard night on the trail - be sure you keep your electrolytes up - and not just at the end of the day. Drink them during the day. I have no affiliation but I use Vitalyte. That's the rebranded name for Gookin-aid. I started drinking Gookin-aid in 1974 when I did the Oregon PCT. It was formulated by a track coach, Bill Gookin, for his runners and has the interesting characteristic that when you drink it, you feel it go down your throat, and then it sort of disappears (quickly absorbed?). If I drink half a quart of water, I can feel/hear it sloshing around. When I drink that much Gookin-aid, it just disappears down my throat.

Though I usually don't go so far as to set an explicit timetable, on one hike to the top of a waterfall I did stop about every 25 minutes to take a drink. It really made a difference compared to hiking and only taking a drink when I felt I needed it. In other words, I was keeping ahead of the demand instead of trying to catch up with it.
    Yeah, I think I've been having a combination of both these past few months. I was wondering why I was getting more frequent muscle cramps up in the mountains than in the canyons and I think it's because it's colder up in the mountains and I was simply just drinking less (a lot less) during the day. I still think I'm not drinking enough and I need to get better about it. I also added salt to my meal after my last hike to battle the cramps and maybe that helped too because thankfully I didn't get night cramps and I slept so good too, again, 11 hours which I never do on the ground. It seems that lately I've had such awful night cramps, not just my legs thighs and calves, but my feet, if I'd kind of even wiggle my toes too much they would start to cramp too and the pain was horrendous. The fear of wiggling your toes! I deal with cramps better on the ground because I guess I am just more graceful getting up on a sleeping pad, but in a hammock, I am forced to deal with the cramps head on because it is requiring more effort to get out.

@mattnin,

That link to the a hand hold thread that that SHUG put up, I think, may be the solution your looking for.

Good Luck,

Bob

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    " Help, I've fallen and I can't get up! ", hammock version.

There are several good strategies and suggestions here, but one thing they all have in common is this: you have to get your weight over your feet. It's a vector problem. To this end use your arms and legs as counterweights. I learned this in physical therapy...it was empowering.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast