Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I’m enjoying this thread, my goal is to get a kit this fall so that I can debug it over the winter and early spring (Uhwarries are 90 min from here). While I’ll likely just throw money at it and get the HG wanderlust/wanderluxe to start, it’s great to see everyone’s ideas and especially shrug’s videos.

I love this man

Quote Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
    I have both the Trail Lair and Chameleon hammocks. I can't tell the difference in comfort or quality. They are both symmetrical. At your weight, you'd save a few ounces by getting either one in Hexon 1.2 fabric, which is soft and has a slight amount of "give" to it. Not stretchy, nor delicate. Weight rating is 275 lbs and it doesn't come in a wide version, so no further thought required as to a custom width. You'll end up with an 11' hammock about 58" wide which is plenty of hammock for many many people.
    /.../
    And honestly both of these hammocks and their accessories are premium offerings. So just pull the trigger!
    /.../
    Get a feel for it and learn from actual In Real Life experience what your like and dislikes are.
    It's a fun hobby.
    You might just have sold a Lair for Jared.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WiseOwl Hex
    Insulation
    Go-Outfitters
    Suspension
    BeetleBuckle
    Hope you have fun out there! I started watching some hammock videos recently and got swept into it pretty quickly; plus some coworkers were already heading out on trails whereas I only had half a sleep system from some scouting days. If you're committed to only a single layer then I think the fabric choice could make a 3-5oz difference, but make sure to keep an eye on the weight rating! I'm 6'1" 195 lbs and am sleeping quite comfortably in a standard width Hex 1.6 Chameleon. I believe dream-hammock's sizing chart would have recommended a wide instead, but I haven't had much problem getting comfortable. The fabric is very smooth and soft but this is my only piece of high end gear so I can't really offer a comparison, but maybe dream's page on fabrics would help. Weight savings seem to be more in the insulation and tarp choices to me. Good luck!

I know DH (Dream) offers a lot of custom options. I'm guessing(?) that SLD does also. SLD seems to have the greatest number of fabric options. Dutchware offers the most in modularity.

I doubt you would benefit from a 12' hammock and, I believe, 10' may well be too short. I'm 5'11" and have never felt the need for extra-wide. But, at over 6', maybe a bit of extra width could add comfort. Dunno.

Speaking of comfort, think about the degree of firmness you want. If you really like extra-firm, that would be a reason to not dismiss the idea of double-layer. Otherwise, yes, single-layer is the way to go.

There are many top-notch hammocks available and you may not find the absolute best match for you with the first purchase. In the direction your headed, you're almost certainly going to end up with something that is, at least, VERY good.

I personally currently have hammocks from 4 of the "better" vendors often discussed here. (I don't have one from Jared.) One is DL and can be switched from right to left. One is netless. One is symmetrical. The Chameleon could obviously be netted any number of ways.

If for some reason you need to eventually get something different (or additional) and you want to sell the first one, the market is great for the hammocks discussed here.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-28-2023 at 18:41.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’m in Seattle and have a trail lair fully decked out which I’d be happy to show you. I also have one of Dutch’s netless (not. Chameleon) in Hexon 1.6. My TL is HyperD which I really like. I also have a Voyager in Hexon 1.6 which is a netless with fronkey style net.

Just to round things out, I’ve also got a Dream Hammock Free Bird in 70D which is one of my favorites. I find them all equally comfortable perhaps in slightly different ways. You can’t go wrong, it’s more of a what features do you want.

You can’t go wrong with the TL. It’s my goto camping hammock - I just keep all options attached and stuff it all in to the stuff sack. It weighs so little it’s not a concern for me / I like having the options or offers.

I’d be happy to meet you at Magnuson or Golden Gardens, string em up, and let you check them out. Only one rule - no shoes! .

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I’m in Seattle and have a trail lair fully decked out which I’d be happy to show you.
    /.../
    I’d be happy to meet you at Magnuson or Golden Gardens, string em up, and let you check them out. Only one rule - no shoes! .
    @Tpatter I am ever grateful for your generous offer, unfortunately I have to decline. Right now I am in Europe, later on I will (probably as of right now) be on the east coast (Washington, but the wrong one)

But none the less: thank you (these things makes this forum a great place)

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Speaking of comfort, think about the degree of firmness you want. If you really like extra-firm, that would be a reason to not dismiss the idea of double-layer. Otherwise, yes, single-layer is the way to go.
    Good point. I'm going single layer due to weight but maybe compensate w Hexon 1.6 rather than 1.2 to hold back on the 'give'?
    I am one of those who love to sleep on a 2' bench with a thin but sturdy mattress - too soft and my back will remind me. Dunno if a fabric with less give will have any effect in the big picture, but food for thought. Thank you.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrumbles View Post
    Good point. I'm going single layer due to weight but maybe compensate w Hexon 1.6 rather than 1.2 to hold back on the 'give'?
    I am one of those who love to sleep on a 2' bench with a thin but sturdy mattress - too soft and my back will remind me. Dunno if a fabric with less give will have any effect in the big picture, but food for thought. Thank you.
    I used to sleep that way as well, now I full time in a hammock, probably close 500-600 nights outside in the last few years, and almost fear those situations where I'm not able to hang one.
    I use the 1.6 because I use it constantly and packing is only a small part of its life. Well I do tend to move into my cotton Brazilian for the hot summers as the nylon is too sticky.
    I do prefer an 11' hammock in the mid 60"s as it lets me get a bit more diagonal so no shoulder squeeze.
    I don't have either of the hammocks that you're interested in though I do have multiple items from SLD and am super pleased w/ all of them. One of his hammocks is on my list for when I finally move up to something better.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I used to sleep that way as well, now I full time in a hammock, probably close 500-600 nights outside in the last few years, and almost fear those situations where I'm not able to hang one.

I use the 1.6 because I use it constantly and packing is only a small part of its life. Well I do tend to move into my cotton Brazilian for the hot summers as the nylon is too sticky.
    I do prefer an 11' hammock in the mid 60"s as it lets me get a bit more diagonal so no shoulder squeeze.
    I don't have either of the hammocks that you're interested in though I do have multiple items from SLD and am super pleased w/ all of them. One of his hammocks is on my list for when I finally move up to something better.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    500-600 nights! My wife would kill me

Checking weight difference for 1.2 and 1.6 on a regular 11’ Chameleon: 2,5oz ish, def worth it.

And wide design to lower shoulder squeeze, smart. I have only done so much hangin' in slouch-around-hammocks but shoulder squeeze is not happy-fun-time in my book. I was napping, It was slightly cool and I woke up when the wind picked up - my joints hurt.

I have taken a step back (of sorts)

After reading this post I decided to take a moment and gain momentum by using a stepping stone (cheap 'Amazon' 11' entry model or similar). Unfortunately I realized this juuust too late as DW had a flash sale of 11' netless from 30$ and juuust emptied their stock - doh!

Anyhow, cheap entry+'expensive' UQ seems to be the explorative study for preferences (assy, width, length, rigidity, what have you variables) and the path to salvation.

For now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast