Hello from Maryland!

Hey guys. I joined this group so I can learn more about hammock sleep setups. I've been sleeping in tents my whole life and I think I want to make a switch. I'm definitely a side sleeper so I think I'm going to be looking into a bridge system. I've heard many good thins about warbonnet ridgerunner hammocks. I'm not really ready to pull the trigger just yet but I think after some research I'll be making a purchase. I'm about 6' tall and currently 230lbs. I plan on continuing to drop weight until I'm closer to 210lbs. Any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks for letting me in the group!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Dan, you’re in right place. Lots of hammock campers up your way. You might go to a group hang posted on Hammock Forums. You might watch Shug’s instructional videos, how to hang a hammock, tarp, insulation, and suspensions.
    Or you might backpack with a small group of hammock campers.

Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Dan, you’re in right place. Lots of hammock campers up your way. You might go to a group hang posted on Hammock Forums. You might watch Shug’s instructional videos, how to hang a hammock, tarp, insulation, and suspensions.
    Or you might backpack with a small group of hammock campers.

Good luck!
    Welcome to life above ground, Dan!

Phantom is right on the money. Every hammock hanger has their own personal preferences and there's no better way to learn your own than to dive right in. There is a bit of a learning curve, but advice/insights from others who have been hanging awhile can really help.

There's a group hang happening in Pennsylvania about an hour north of you next month. The MAHHA hang is one of the largest in the country and there will be lots of folks there with all sorts of different techniques, equipment, and preferences when it comes to their own personal hanging styles. Virtually anyone who's there will be very willing to show you what they do and answer your questions. Just shake a hand, introduce yourself, and ask away!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy your hammock quest. You may find you can side sleep in any hammock...not just bridges. Also many side sleepers end up back sleeping in hammocks but still side in a bed.
    You'll find the groove as you go through the journey to comfort.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Don't dismiss gathered-end hammocks just yet. It is definitely possible (and comfortable) to sleep on your side in one. And, like mentioned above, you may find a hammock so different than a bed that you may indeed end up sleeping on your back (where I happen to do my very best snoring...)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    WB Beckett Straps
    I recommend trying both out bridges and gathered ends, that is what I did. And hanging at home is a great way to try out different types of hammocks before you take them out in the field. I put up anchors inside my house to test out various hammocks, and now I am sleeping full time in my bridge in the house! Once you find the right hammock, you will never want to go back to ground!

I can also relate to being a side sleeper in a bed, but more of a half back / half side sleeper in the hammock. Good luck on your hammock journeys!

• + New Posts