Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Question Splicing a Y with an eye splice on each end (three total)

Hello fellow hangers! I've been absent for... awhile. I'm undertaking a small project at home using some 1/2" Samson Duraplex, and I'm curious about how to go about splicing the form in the attached picture with the rope. Three ends, each with an eye splice; think porch swing.

I could splice a single length with an eye on each end (1 & 2), and then slip another length with a single eye (3) all the way up through the first length (1) and let the non-eye end dangle out of the top, allowing for length adjustment... but I don't expect to need adjustment. I'm open to suggestions!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's one thought, without thinking about it very long!

A dogbone with eyes 2 & 3 with a spliced eye in the center. Then another dogbone with one eye spliced through that middle eye and the other end being eye #1.

Or, I suppose, eye #1 could be that middle eye (one with a very long bury) between 2 & 3. That would be much your original idea but the bury for eye #1 exits and becomes the leg of the "Y" for eye #3.

(I guess that was 2 thoughts...)

OR, three dogbones joined by a metal ring, if you don't mind incorporating hardware.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-25-2023 at 14:40.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Splicing a Y with an eye splice on each end (three total)

Three dogbones with eye spices on each end of all three.
    Larkshead all three together in middle.
    Eye splice on dogbone number one, can larks head through both eye splices in dogbones number two and three in one smooth move.

Three dogbones with eye splices on each end and one larks head.

Or you can make all three center eye spices interlocking with each of other two eye splices!

Please show pictures of your suspension!
    Thanks!

Edit: Wow G-Rat, amazing
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-25-2023 at 23:09.

Here's a solution I found a few years ago. Sorry that I can't remember who originally posted it to give them credit.
    3-way-splice-junction.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    Here's a solution I found a few years ago. Sorry that I can't remember who originally posted it to give them credit.
    3-way-splice-junction.jpg
    Three separate dog bones. Slide one end of each dogbone through the eye of another. No additional splicing and no larks head or other knots required.
    Simple. Elegant. Effective. Brilliant!!
    Thanks for the photo!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    And taking this thought further, it seems to me that one could use this same approach to connect any number of dogbones together with a single center point. Just slip each dogbone into the next then the final one back into the first to bring them all together. I'll have to test out this thought exercise at some point.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Awesome, guys, thank you. Plenty of ideas here to use. I never even considered the triple dogbone idea (sounds like PG's first suggestion, too)... that couldn't be easier, and it's probably what I'll end up doing.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    OK, attempted my first brummel on the "cord" yesterday. Working with 1/2" is nothing like working with 7/64"! It took me an hour to work the brummel through to the right length, and even then, I couldn't bury the end. I 3D printed a 1/2" fid awhile back, and I'm using that along with some solid aluminum wire for pulling the rope through. I might just end up doing a long bury instead! Since this is going on a porch swing, it'll always be under load.

Any other ideas?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Check carefully where there are moving parts. It's all in the word, "swing". Ah, there's the rub. So make sure you are just using the Amsteel to hold two things rather than move against something.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Check carefully where there are moving parts. It's all in the word, "swing". Ah, there's the rub. So make sure you are just using the Amsteel to hold two things rather than move against something.
    The vertex won't be subject to articulation BUT that could be an issue at the top. Also, I'm not a huge fan of Amsteel on Amsteel. I think the joint should be a metal ring with three dogbones spliced to it. Splice one eye on each dogbone right around the ring. Alternatively, you could larkshead each dogbone to the ring. Less elegant. I also think a ring would actually add to the appearance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast