Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I'm sure you've been watching shug's videos, right? you've seen what he brings?

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

That might be. But what I am getting at is that there are over ridge line hanging covers all over the place, with more or less venting and people have problem with snow/slobber in them. Has anyone tried to get the head out from under a cover and see effects on the quilt that is now protected form outer humidity/slobber?
    I can speculate - but hands on experience, anyone? I mean, in the end I can sew myself and try it out but I guess it is not an original thought to get your head outside of covers to see if it helps?

Have seen Shugs frost bib (kiss, beautiful solution), have not seen him sleeping with his head outside a cover hanging or not hanging on the ridge line. (Now, that could be from me not looking through his entire production)

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    he wears a full face mask in the extreme cold, and doesn't use a top cover at all, tho he will use an undercoat protector.

I used the top cover since I had my chameleon because it came with it (other than last year which I described earlier) the thing is it is a little bit warmer even though you get condensation inside. the venting didn't really help in extreme cold, as far as I can tell, but I think that's because it freezes before it can vent out. but that's just annoying really, not the same as condensation building up in your quilt, which is life threatening. I've only had that happen the one time, and that was because it was extreme cold for a much longer stretch then I've been out in before or since, so there wasn't really an opportunity for my top-quilt to dry out. that was also my zero degree top-quilt and I think it was sub-zero for a few weeks in a row.

as is usually the advice: see if you can get to one of the group hangs.
    you have a bit of security knowing that there's experienced people around, and you get to see some different setups first-hand.

barring that, experiment in the backyard where it's easy to bail if things go south, before you commit to a big trip... since you say you've been lurking for quite a while I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, plus being military you probably got the confidence to get through it and will have your backup plan besides

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never tried a top quilt protector, but I imagine it's a condensation catcher just like the topcover. I have a Dutch Chameleon with topcover and the condensation is intolerable to me - even the bugnet is a condensation catcher. I'd rather just go without topcover/TQP.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Removed: forgot to quote]

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never tried a top quilt protector, but I imagine it's a condensation catcher just like the topcover. I have a Dutch Chameleon with topcover and the condensation is intolerable to me - even the bugnet is a condensation catcher. I'd rather just go without topcover/TQP.
    Make sense, you take the by far largest source of humidity out of the game, no cover but still.
    And when you sleep w no cover wse, except for the quilt, is condensation bothering you, any traces on the quilt there morning?

This post is the closest to a cover applied directly on the tq I have found on this forum so far. Though, I guess it is absorbent and even 'fluffy' thus having qualities to catch condensation, much like a frostbib. I am looking for something more windproof and not absorbent (no need to gather more weight than needed)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Towards the end of winter, I was using the OneWind sock. It has an open (bungee closure) bottom and two netted windows near the head. I can string it high by giving it its own ridgeline. It does the job of blocking wind gusts while having plenty of interior (warmer air) circulation to minimize condensation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For protracted extreme cold conditions you might take a look at Vapor Barrier Liners (VBL).

All the various covers will start collecting moisture / ice when water vapor produced by the body reaches the outer part of the quilt's shell and meets up with the dew point. VBL stops it at its source.

A discussion HERE with some links to previous discussions.

I have used a Lightheart Gear rain suit as VBL and it works very well because it is made of a non-breathable material, silnylon. Yes, it's a bit of a PITA to use but it is not as clammy and uncomfortable as one might think. It seems that at rest the body reaches a certain level of moisture and then the skin perspiration stops or is greatly reduced. In the morning, I feel a bit damp for a couple of minutes and then all's well. Certainly better than having iced-up quilts that provide no insulation after a few nights.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast