Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: suspended cot

A climber's Portaledge comes to mind.

Or this:

https://weekendervanlife.com/van-han...0in%20a%20tier.

Neither is very portable.

Your typical folding cot is not going to lend itself to being hung unless you can support all the points that are normally held up by legs/feet. I can't see it being very simple. And even folding cots are not very light or compact.

(not sure what is meant by being "in the position of a traditional hammock" ?)

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    I envision a taco.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    I envision a taco.
    Hard or soft shell?

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Hard or soft shell?
    Soft

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by curious camper View Post
    It was more of a question. For those occasions you can not get a hammock up. You can still have the cot option. I do have the draumr and I love it. The thought came because I would like to be in the position of a traditional hammock. I was trying to re invent the wheel and not buy an expensive haven tent. I was trying to find something else.
    I understand.

I wonder if it might be easier to think of this the other way around. In other words, think of ways to reconfigure a hammock into a cot rather than a cot into a hammock. If successful, you would arrive at the same end result you are looking for. A dual-purpose item that doesn't cost a lot.

My first thought would be to sew additional fabric strips onto my inexpensive GE hammock that would serve as channels. If spaced and sewn just right, I could simply slide my modified hammock onto the cot frame in place of the existing cot fabric. My hammock could be both a cot (when on the frame) or a regular hammock (without the frame) when hung between trees. It would also be a lot more comfortable when in the trees than a hanging cot would be, IMO.

I don't really know if this is feasible either. I'm just brainstorming with you ...
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

This is intriguing.The weight is reasonable as there is no under quilt needed.The website here pod

Quote Originally Posted by tusquitee View Post
    This is intriguing.The weight is reasonable as there is no under quilt needed.The website here pod
    Adding a bugnet and rainfly could be challenging!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tusquitee View Post
    IMO, the pictures severely violate the first rule of hammocks ... only hang as high as you're willing to fall!

For me personally, if I need a suspension system not only for my hammock, but for me as well, then I'm hanging too high!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

How about something like a bridge hammock, with holes that the legs of the cot could slide down through so the bed of the cot would lie on top of the hammock? The hammock wouldn’t need spreader bars because the cot would do that. Or perhaps just the frame of a bridge hammock made out of webbing I.e. the sides of the bridge ( to prevent the cot from folding in the middle - it is going to want to do that) with cross pieces (to support the bed of the cot)?

The draumr is a 90 degree hammock and a traditional hammock is between the trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast