Tarp
    Wreck-tangles
    Insulation
    Pine Needles
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hello from VA

Hey folks,
    Getting interested in getting off the ground these days. I've been backpacking, hunting and bushcrafting for a long time, and I love getting outside. Knots, gear, making stuff, new places, it's all a blast.
    Happy to be here. -Rata
    Last edited by Ratatosk; 08-18-2023 at 08:51.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the party! There's a group hang coming up soon at Grayson Highlands if you want to come meet a bunch of folks and see setups to give you ideas.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...val-Sept-21-25
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Still shopping
    Tarp
    Wreck-tangles
    Insulation
    Pine Needles
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you sir! The Grayson hang is on my list, for sure. I'd love to check out some people's setups. I do want to pick up an underquilt, but I think I can jerry-rig one out of stuff I've already got at this point.
    Do people bring stuff to trade and sell at these gatherings?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sometimes, yes. I think the page might have some details on it about that. There's also a raffle where you can win stuff, and sometimes there is a UQ. Hope to meet you there!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Rata, Grayson Highlands is a great hang! Maybe I’ll see you there.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum, Ratatosk! The members here are fabulous and you're sure to get a lot of good ideas and advice as you transition to a life above ground.

If you haven't discovered them already, Shug's videos address almost any topic you might imagine. It's sort of a visual FAQ. Shug isn't the only one with great info (so be sure to search the forum and the web for other input as well) but it's a good place to start.

Attending group hangs is a fantastic way to meet fellow hammock enthusiasts and discovery first-hand all the different ways that folks hang their own hang. And attendees are more than willing to share their own experience and insights. It's great that you already know about the Grayson hang, but there are other Virginia Hangs as well. The Northern Virginia (NoVA) Hang takes place in Prince William Forest every November (the second weekend I believe). Watch for announcements from Yojimbo. The Chili Butt Hang takes place in the same location, but in February. Watch for announcements from Uphill. I'm not sure where you are in Virginia, but if you're far enough south, the Yates hangs in North Carolina might be close enough for you. There are often several each year. Phantom Grappler (who already responded to you) has already sent out the announcement for their Fall hang the first weekend in November (Yates Fall Hang). If you're farther north, you might want to consider making the trek to Caledonia State Park in Central Pennsylvania for the the Mid-Atlantic Hammock Hangers Association (MAHHA) hangs twice a year. The MAHHA Fall Hang is happening next month. It's arguably the largest hang east of the Mississippi and North of the Mason Dixon line.

Most of us started the same way, with a basic recreational hammock, repurposed gear from our tent camping days, borrowed equipment, or resold/traded gear, then watched videos, traded discussions here on the forum, attended group hangs (those fortunate enough to be near one) and experimented. It's all a great way to get your feet wet and learn for yourself what works best for you. As many of us are fond of saying, life above ground is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Still shopping
    Tarp
    Wreck-tangles
    Insulation
    Pine Needles
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Popcorn!
    Depending on schedule, the Yates hang is definitely within striking distance. I'll try to work in a canoe trip, too, if I can. I'm a bit of a gearhead so I've got a system (well, two, if I'm honest) on the way and look forward to messing with it. The only bad thing about a new hobby is I (ulp) confused right- and left-lay, so I've got a hammock inbound that may be nothing more than a stopgap for me.

PG, look forward to meeting you and all the folks in Grayson if I can make it down. -Rata

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    The only bad thing about a new hobby is I (ulp) confused right- and left-lay, so I've got a hammock inbound that may be nothing more than a stopgap for me.
    If you're new to hammocking, give the inbound one a try because you may end up liking the "other side" lay. I remember when I was getting started that I honestly didn't care which side it was, but for whatever mysterious reason, I ended up liking the side that I didn't expect.
    Iceman857

• + New Posts