Will an uncalendered fabric underquilt (and quilt) be okay?

I'm making all my own gear to save some money and I'm completely new to this. This hammock stuff is really a lot to take in and I thought I did all my research and I ordered 12 yards of uncalendered fabric with some climashield to make a top and bottom quilt. Well I ended up finding out too late that many people use calendered fabric to make their quilts because it helps block air flow and keeps warm air in. I get this fabric in tomorrow and I am really itching to go backpacking so I kind of just want to make these quilts using all uncalendered fabric. I just hope it's not a waste of money and regret later that I didn't just place another order for more appropriate fabric and wait another week and a half.

That being said, I've read some articles that say ultra-breathable quilts using synthetic insulation are actually better than non-breathable. I've even read one article where someone used uncalendered fabric on one side, and mesh on the other while using apex insulation, "Ultra breathable quilt using mesh liner". I've read comments that say using calendered fabric is like adding a vapor barrier and is not good. I swear I read from someone that they said why are people still using calendered fabric in their quilts? haha, So needless to say, I'm totally confused. Which is better for the quilts? Breathable or not? Calendered or not? Is there some fine balance between the two? Will I have an acceptable solution with uncalendered quilts but a calendered underquilt protector?

At this point, I think I will be making my under quilt and top quilt out of this uncalendered fabric and try to figure out a solution to help block the wind at some point later. I just hope I don't freeze next week. It won't be the first time though and surely not the last. These quilts I intend only as my summer quilts (3.6 oz Apex). I plan on making something else for the winter time.

I am worried about being too cold in the upcoming months. That was one thing about hammocking that really caught me off guard, just how cold I was in the early morning even in quite warm weather, but I did not have an underquilt yet. In a way, I liked that, I liked actually being cool in the summer, but as it starts getting colder in the mountains, I must be prepared. Even now it's cold up there at night and it's only going to get worse.

Has anyone made any quilts using uncalendered fabric on both sides? Did it work okay for you? I was thinking of making a calendered underquilt protector, do you think that would help and solve my issue of wind resistance? For a DIY quilt maker using synthetic insulation, what would you recommend for fabrics for 30F dry weather? Thank you for helping this beginner hammocker.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    You will be fine with that fabric. It is important that calendered fabric be used with down fill as the calendering process closes the 'pores' in the fabric and makes it more down proof. With synthetic fill, you don't have that concern.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
    Has anyone made any quilts using uncalendered fabric on both sides? Did it work okay for you?
    Yep, it'll be fine. I made an underquilt using the Ripstop by the Roll underquilt kit, and like you, didn't bother to get calendared fabric. Since it's not down but Apex insulation, I'm not sure it really makes enough difference that I can tell. The specs for the Apex say that it should be good for most people to about 30 degrees F and that matches my experience with the quilt.

If it really bothers you enough, you could always get some lightweight calendared fabric and make an underquilt protector later on, thus giving you the excuse for another sewing project.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

That's reassuring. Maybe I'll feel drier in these quilts I'm making since they may breathe a little nicer. I don't like the clammy feeling especially when it starts getting cold.

I made the TQ and UQ using the uncalendared fabric, and 3.6 oz climashield which is rated at 40F. It was pretty cold past couple days up in the mountains, and wet raining literally non stop all night long due to the remnants of the tropical storm. The weather report said it would be in the 40's at night. I'm not sure what the overnight temperature was actually, but it was quite cold, probably between 40-45 degrees at 10,200'. I was cold the first night when I was only wearing shorts (convertible pants) and a thin mesh shirt. The second night I reattached my pant legs, and wore a fleece and above that a nylon shirt, with a homemade beanie (thank you wife!) and I kept toasty warm all night long! I had no issues feeling wet or clammy even when I covered my face with the TQ. Actually slept like a baby too, 11 hours! With wind, I didn't feel like any of my heat escaping any faster than it should either. Overall, very comfortable. I have plans on making a heavier TQ and UQ for late fall early spring and I will actually choose uncalendared fabric because I think the breathability is good to release moisture and not feel clammy and cold.

Hammock
    12' SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks very much for the update on how that worked. I too have experienced the clammy feeling when moisture can't escape the top quilt or underquilt, and it's very uncomfortable. Glad you experimented and found your set up worked pretty well!

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmatthew View Post
    Thanks very much for the update on how that worked. I too have experienced the clammy feeling when moisture can't escape the top quilt or underquilt, and it's very uncomfortable. Glad you experimented and found your set up worked pretty well!
    You're welcome. I spent last night up in the mountains and I had made a pillow/stuff sack using membrane which I believe is calendared. It was another really cold night just on the edge of shivering, and my pillow was quite uncomfortably cold and feeling wet at times. I wondered how I could be sweating or have perspiration even though it was so cold, but I just believe it is that cold clammy feeling I get from the calendared fabric pillow. The fabric is so nice and soft, but I am not going to use it any more as a pillow because it doesn't let moisture pass through and breathe. I will be making an uncalendared stuff sack/pillow to use instead because I much prefer the dry feeling.

Also, I did a test against the uncalendared TQ I made and a Wiggy's sleeping bag that I have. Wiggy's is a sleeping bag manufacturer here in this city, and although his sleeping bags are heavy, they have always kept me warm and he writes articles on how important it is for the sleeping bag to breathe. Well, I went and put my lips to the Wiggy's bag and blew into it, and did the same thing with this uncalendared TQ I made. It seems to let the same amount of air pass as the Wiggy's bag so it seems to be just as breathable.

• + New Posts