Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yeah, the "not even close" comparison is a little harsh. For any two hikers that aren't lovers, there would be a lot to put up with to make the "shared" weight worth it. And you didn't include a footprint, which I consider to be a little more necessary than an UQP. I otherwise like the comparison for non-dyneema setups. Mine is...

SG 15 elite 10' - 37oz
    Mantis suspension - 3oz
    Custom wide pentagon tarp incl lines/stakes - 15oz
    SG UQP - 7oz
    Zpacks Solo TQ - 17oz

total = 4lb 15oz
    Ain't no loving after a long hike and no shower...

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Installation aside you can get the weight on par with a ground set-up. It is all in fabric choices, lengths and suspension choices. How light are you willing to go to achieve UL status with risking gear failure.
    Insulation always varies with the season .Of course lightest pack weight is high summer. You just need less.
    Many of us don't mind a bit of extra weight once we got into hammocks as the comfort, consistency of sleep, restorative powers of the hammock, not having to crawl factor trump previous thought on this versus that.
    Enjoy the experience.
    Shug

I must have missed that video. It's nice to see weight comparisons because it kind of lets me know where I can work on things, if something is too heavy or not, and gives me a goal to work for. By the way, your videos were a major factor in my interest in hammocks and motivating me to just get started with it all. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yeah, the "not even close" comparison is a little harsh. For any two hikers that aren't lovers, there would be a lot to put up with to make the "shared" weight worth it. And you didn't include a footprint, which I consider to be a little more necessary than an UQP. I otherwise like the comparison for non-dyneema setups. Mine is...

SG 15 elite 10' - 37oz
    Mantis suspension - 3oz
    Custom wide pentagon tarp incl lines/stakes - 15oz
    SG UQP - 7oz
    Zpacks Solo TQ - 17oz

total = 4lb 15oz
    That's amazingly light, awesome setup!

Well it turns out my hammock gear is lighter than my ground setup! By a whole 1.796 lbs for my 40F setup. I will sure notice that on my back and I'm super thrilled about it. I really thought my TQ and UQ would be heavier, but they aren't.

Tarp 1.038
    Suspension 0.51
    Hammock + Bugnet + Ridgeline + Organizers 1.558
    TQ 40F 1.14
    UQ 40F w/suspension 1.548
    Total 5.794 lbs

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I carry the same top quilt either way, and my bottom insulation (UQ or pad) weighs the same, so it's just a comparison between my tent vs. hammock & tarp:

Warbonnet Blackbird w/ straps: 27 oz
    HG DCF tarp in skins: 11 oz
    Total: 38 oz

Gossamer Gear the One tent: 19 oz

I sleep comfortably either way. The tent saves me more than a pound, and since I often sleep in the shelters in the northern Long Trail (in which case my shelter setup is dead weight), that's worth something. The hammock saves me from crawling, and keeps me out of puddles - a big deal in a wet year like this. Reducing the hammock weight would require significant investment.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I wouldn't call my hammock system/sleep system UL, but for me, it really doesn't matter. I'm done with tents and all the ground issues that go along with them. If I can't hang my hammock where I need it (unlikely with Tensa stand and other stuff), then I will just figure something else out.

WB Eldorado Hammock with straps - 25.14 oz
    WB Minifly 11ft Tarp with ridgeline - 16.59 oz
    Tarp Stakes and Lines - 4.69 oz
    WB Yeti 40F UQ - 8.32 oz
    HG Burrow 40F TQ - 18.3 oz
    Trekology Pillow - 3.0 oz
    Teton Sit Pad (for foot box in TQ) - 5.33 oz

Total: 5.09 lbs

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are my hammock weights and sizes in stuff sacks for perusal.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I carry the same top quilt either way, and my bottom insulation (UQ or pad) weighs the same, so it's just a comparison between my tent vs. hammock.
    Pretty much this, for summer/autumn at least. We don't get the deep winters here in the UK that you do in places like Minnesota, I think we've had -6C maybe a couple of nights in the last three or four years. When it gets to -30 or -40 then you are more concerned about survival than weight.

My hammock and tarp including suspension and pegs is just under 1kg. Our two person tent (Copper Spur) is 1.5kg so the hammock step "wins". However my MTB racing setup is only 920g for everything so that "wins".

Except...

It's not comfortable. It's not meant to be, it's the minimum mandatory kit, I'd not die using it and I even might get some sleep!

Generally if your setup is fit for purpose and comes in at under 2kg or thereabouts I wouldn't worry.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    My tent setup is 16.1 ounces for my tent, 13 oz for my mat and two oz for my inflatable pillow. For the tent I use six stakes, which is the same as for my hammock. I use the the same topquilt or sleeping bag for both. There is nothing in the hammock world that comes close to how light an Ultralight tent setup gets, so let's face a bit of reality.
    I find I sleep best in my Ridgerunner hammock, followed by in my tent, and then in last place is my regular warbonnet Eldorado. I fiddle with that hammock so often that I only get about two hours of sleep at a time. I love hammock camping, but some of this mythology of one system being the "ultimate" needs to be killed and burried by a bit of reality. Or is it born of some sort of insecurity where it must live at all costs?

Images
    Like others have said it changes with the weather as I’m sure you are already well aware of. I have used a hammock now for a few years for hunting and backpacking. It is WAY easier to carry the extra weight when you sleep good and you body has time to recover. But to answer you question my set up is on par with what others have said. I use a Warbonnet XLC and either a Wooki or yeti UQ.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    On the UltraLite Gear subforum there is a thread here that discusses very lightweight setups. It's for donating members, but I've found the modest $10 annual fee worth it for this and other donating member fora.

In the UL realm, I like to look at total system weight, the system in this case being *all* the shelter- and sleep-related gear. This would include tarp and all guy/ridge lines, stakes, hammock and suspension and nets, etc, and both quilts and suspension.

Cutting/pasting from that thread, here is my lightest setup, which is 2.65lb for a complete shelter/sleep system:

My combo consists of a Dutch Half Wit Hexon 1.0 w/Amsteel CLs with 2x 12' Kevlar tree straps, bishop bag (346.3g/12.22oz), EE Revolt 40deg 850fp/10D (302.5g/10.67oz), EE Revolution 50deg 850fp/10D (320g/11.29oz), HG 11' Hex tarp with Glowire guy/ridge lines, stuff sack (194.2g/6.85oz) and 4x Lawson Ti stakes (the skinny non-HD, in a Zip-loc freezer bag, 37.8g/1.33oz)

Total 1200.8g (1.2kg)/42.36oz (2.65lb)

Of course, this is for the warmest weather setup. Fall and winter combos weigh more, but using the lightest quilts still yields some comparatively light weights.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12