Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spreader bar end cap

Hi all, have searched high and low but can not find the post where someone linked to a pic of a hack.....basically a rubber grommet that fitted over the end of the spreader bar in a bridge hammock to prevent it accidentally ripping the tarp. Can anyone help a brother out?

That looks good, but no, it was a hack someone came up with. It's a little rubber part used in automotive I think. Just pops on the bar and extends beyond the metal so there is no place to catch the tarp.

No, but that would also work, but might come off and get lost. The rubber part was a more solid and permanent solution

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I picked up rubber grommets at Lowes (in a drawer in the fastener section).

grommet.jpg

Images
    Currently using the Arrowhead ones.
    I have used the Closet Maid ones, but their hard to keep up with if you drop one in the woods..

I prefer these over the Closet Maid ones. They stay on but you still have to put them on when setting up and take them off when taking down. easier to find when dropped.
    https://www.homedepot.com/s/1001%20687%20347?NCNI-5

(This is for a first generation Ridge Runner)
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For the "poor man's Arrowhead solution" visit a bicycle shop and asked them for a scrape innertube - I'm sure they will have one - Cut out a tubular section about 1.5 inches wide and punch a spreader pin sized hole in it.

Seems the goal is to spread the potential pressure against any fabric out over a wider area (fewer lbs/sq in), so I'm not sure those Lowe's caps would help as much. I still have some ArrowHead tubes but my newer spreader bar hammocks use the Fugal buttons (the newer RR doesn't use the hardware the rubber tubes were designed for). Fugal buttons are now kinda cool because you can get them in colors - like get two in red for the head end of your bridge. Note that NAMA also has a button solution.

One tiny caution - spreader bar pins are not all the same diameter. So far, I've found the spreader bars that RSBTR offers as an option with their DIY Bridge Hammock kit are the largest at about 7mm. The smallest have been the pins on the spreader bars for the newer RR - the one that doesn't use the hardware at the bridge ends. They are about 4-5 mm. Make sure your button solution will work with your spreader bar pins. The only ones that gave me some grief were the larger diameter pins on a RSBTR bridge I bought used.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 08-18-2023 at 12:34.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

This is it!

I made something like the arrowhead ones above. It is a section of 1” heat shrink tubing, punched a hole for the spreader bar to go into, and then carefully lined up and shrunk onto the bracket with the hole.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast