DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike

Inexpensive Underquilt?

Guessing that this is a long shot - but worth posting up to see what type of responses I get.

I am a scoutmaster for my daughter's Scout BSA troop (T2019, Fairport NY).
    As the scouts see me hang my hammock for most campouts, a growing number of our scouts have been borrowing hammock gear to hang at our campouts.
    During our week long summer camp excursion in the Adirondacks, we had 12 scouts in hammocks.

Unfortunately, my collection of underquilts isn't vast enough to ensure everyone is insulated for some of the cooler weather we get here for our fall campouts.

I thought that I would post two fold:
    1.) Some of the scouts are starting to look at getting their own gear - so I am keeping my eyes open for gear that might fit their needs/budgets
    2.) Looking to see what I might find to get underquilts for the rest of my hammock systems - expanding my loanable gear
    (I am currently sitting at 8 underquilts vs 12 hammocks)

Anyone have a quilt just sitting in a closet that could find a bit more love with a scout getting into hammocking?

To help with context:
    - While there are a few of us that will hammock year round (daughter and myself do snow camp in our hammocks), most troop campouts are above freezing (even overnight temps - as I have less adult support for campouts once temps fall below that).
    - Scouts are shorter, so a 3/4 lenght quilt has great coverage
    - 85% of campouts are "car camping" (< 1/4 mile from car to location) - so weight isn't a huge consideration
    - Especially for the loanable gear - function is more important than appearance (repaired holes, etc would be fine)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by knightshade; 08-11-2023 at 15:05.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I have a 30-degree Hammock Gear premium Incubator underquilt with 3oz overfill. Short length, which I think is 72 or 73 inches. I'm the second owner...it has a pinhole that was repaired by the previous owner with clear nail polish, another repair at one end (stitching right at the edge of the quilt), then my stupid cat chewed through the shock cord of the secondary suspension so that's just been retied with an overhand knot.

It sounds like a mess but this is a high quality quilt that is 100% functional and very warm for the weight. Comes with a HG cotton storage bag. If your Scouts are camping in weather above freezing, this might be a good option.

30-deg premium Incubator.jpg 30-deg premium Incubator 2.jpg 30-deg premium Incubator 3.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    I'll bump this to see if anything else surfaces....

I fully acknowledge "Inexpensive" and "Underquilt" going together is somewhat of an oxymoron...
    Just looking for some options for loanable gear

I expect some of the scouts will be willing to grab quilts like a Hammock Gear Phoenix Econ (as I've been able to loan that as an example).
    So offers like Canadark extended are ones that I will forward to those buying gear.

Seeming like filing some of my gap by converting some Costco down throw blankets from my project room is probably my most cost effective option to extend the loanable gear library.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've got a few things that are on my list to sell when I get around to it...

Enlightened Equipment Revolt 30 (standard is short) - well used, but very good condition

Hang Tight reflector series set UQ & TQ - like new

Simply Light Designs Trailwinder 10 (more like 30) - this is full length that incorporates insulation sewn on an UQP - like new

Make an offer for what you would like?

Hang
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Please do not refer OP to vendors but a PM might be nice

4. Do not refer individuals to vendors for items they WTB. Only offer items that you personally own.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Folks, this is the WTB area. If you are not offering to sell the OP an item, please don't post on their thread. If you wish to suggest they do something else or buy something else please send them a PM and don't derail their WTB post.

Thanks
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Still looking? If so you may want to bump it at least once every week. Items that are inactive are subject to being removed from the Market Place area, it allows members to know you are still interested and it will keep the moderators from "pinging" you! (Bumps mean to respond in the post)

If you are finished with your thread, please follow the links in my signature for instructions on how to close your thread.

If you are going out of town or have limited/no forum access, please close your thread before you leave. It saves frustrations when members post questions but do not get responses.

Thanks for your help
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Removed for no response
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

• + New Posts