Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

Ridgerunner tarp question

I have been using my 11' HG palace tarp but I am always concerned about holes. I am debating about buying a HG trek 12' rectangular tarp. Would 12' be enough coverage? The 11' palace is Ok, but not great. I usually stake out the doors for extra coverage. I would buy a warbonnet 13' but I am not sure I want to keep my RR amd Lynx setup.

Thanks

My wife and I have been hanging in ridgerunners for several years. We made do with 11 and 12 foot tarps for a while, but grew tired of the hassle of keeping all the rain out. Our solution wea to make longer tarps. Ours are 13’9”, and do well. We made both rectangular and with doors, we are happy with these.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’ve had good experiences with an 12’ HG hex (Journey?), but my go-to is a SLD Winter Haven at 13’ — I’m happy to have the extra covered real estate when I’m using my 11’ GE hammock instead of the Ridgerunner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'd think your concern about holes has more to do with the width of the tarp, not the length. That said, I installed button style protectors in my newer RidgeRunner. The older one, with the metal hardware for the spreader bars, has the "inner tube" rubber bands covering the pins.

But for years I used the Hennessy Hex with the RR and never had a problem with rubbing. I guess I never pitched it as tight as necessary to hit those spreader pins.

A 13 ft length is nice because it minimizes the issue of rainwater running down the dogbones. But no matter what the length, you can adjust the angle of the pitch so the pins don't rub.

So why do I use the rubber bands and installed the buttons? Marketing influence for one reason. But also I liked the idea of putting the pin in a hard receptacle (button) rather than in the weave of the dogbone. And the cost of a little more care (pin protectors) is a lot less than a new tarp. If someone else is using my gear, I don't want to depend on their sensitivity/awareness to damage potential.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Put some of these on the tips of your spreader bar and you won't worry about it anymore. Bridge Buttons – Fugal Innovations (fugal-innovations.com)

I have the DCF HG 12' Standard Tarp with Doors, and use my trekking poles to spread it out over the continuous ridgeline. Fits like a glove.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I'd think your concern about holes has more to do with the width of the tarp, not the length.
    This is what immediately came to mind for me. I have a 13 ft superfly and a 12 ft hammock gear palace. The palace is just slightly wider and I feel like that is the measurement that I worry about when pitching as opposed to length. Have a poll from a few years ago that lists out the dimensions of the tarps I was looking at. One thing I just got used to with the 12 ft palace is that the dogbones are going to rub the doors when they are closed and that is fine. Haven't had an issue with water coming in or the tarp getting damaged. Surprising how much harder it is to find trees for a 13 ft tarp versus a 12 ft one sometimes.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Surprising how much harder it is to find trees for a 13 ft tarp versus a 12 ft one sometimes.

That's why god invented the Tensa Solo. She inspired TensaOutdoor to develop a collapsible pole (and anchors) so you only need one tree.

The Solo moves your kit out of the UL category but it is not an unreasonable carry. On my last adventure (photos posted in Trip Report), I used the Solo at 3 out of 7 sites.

https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...v=7516fd43adaa
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    WB Beckett Straps
    I like these from Nama gear to protect the tarp as well as the dogbones:

https://www.namagear.com/product-page/pole-guardz

• + New Posts