Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images

Kevlar ... Where are you??

For several years now I have watched all the major and minor vendors and waited for someone to start selling Kevlar straps or huggers again. I've also searched high and low for a direct-to-consumer manufacturer from whom I could purchase relatively small lengths (100' or less) of Kevlar webbing that I could turn into my own straps. The closest I've come is a couple of business-to-business manufacturers that sell in volume and only provide quotes for upon request for minimum amounts well above what I want to buy.

I've also followed the occasional sidebar on the forum where others mention their inability to find Kevlar straps.

I'm starting to wonder if I missed the secret message that Kevlar in webbing form is toxic, or deadly, or the true original source of COVID or something, and it is now illegal to make and sell in the U.S. (like incandescent light bulbs, Kinder eggs, and flavored cigarettes). Or maybe all Kevlar webbing is made in Russia and we no longer import it as part of the embargo put in place because of the Ukraine invasion. Or maybe dozens have been killed or injured due to Kevlar strap failures and vendors are hesitant to sell now for fear of lawsuits. Or maybe it was all a giant conspiracy and Kevlar webbing never really existed at all ... Dutch, Ann Marie, Jeff Myers, and others just pretended it existed for awhile for a gigantic prank that I'm still falling for.

Whatever it is, I haven't seen anything at all about WHY??? we haven't seen it for sale anywhere for ages. Just a couple of random guesses, opinions, deep thoughts, and pontificating from other folks who are basically as clueless as I am.

Can anyone shed any light about why the cottage vendors aren't selling Kevlar straps, huggers, and webbing anymore? Better yet, does anyone have a reliable source for 1" and 2" Kevlar webbing in any form that a normal person can buy?
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Maybe all that Kevlar is going into making bullet-proof vests. I'm guessing demand has been increasing...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Since I've been on record deep thinking, guessing and pontificating, I thought I'd weigh in to add that I'm still lacking any info on its disappearance. There are some Kevlar webbing sources 'out there,' as you note, but none in that perfect wheelhouse with 3.3g/ft (10g/m) and 1" (25mm) width.

All I know is that I treat mine like gold. I have an older 10' pair and a fairly new 12' pair (one of the last that Dutch sold) and I will never sell them. It really is the perfect hammock suspension spec with the least stretch.

There were, at one time, 1.9 and 2.2 Kevlar as well. There were reports of the 1.9 failing but not the 2.2. My preference has always been the 3.3.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    At the 2011 or 2012 MAHHA, Dutch gave me a pair of Kevlar tree straps. I only used them once, and didn't like them at all. I wonder where I put them?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I call dibs if they turn up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Never liked the way they bunched up while in use. The color was not appealing to me either as sometimes I end up gazing at my footend strap.
    But I can see how many would like them.
    I had no idea they have become rare.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Wow! Didn't realize the two sets I have are now precious. (I'll keep them secret, keep them safe. )

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Still using 12 foot 3.3 straps and continue looking for a backup pair. Every now & then I will check to see if Kevlar straps are available again. It's the best disappearing act I have ever seen.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Since I've been on record deep thinking, guessing and pontificating, I thought I'd weigh in to add that I'm still lacking any info on its disappearance. There are some Kevlar webbing sources 'out there,' as you note, but none in that perfect wheelhouse with 3.3g/ft (10g/m) and 1" (25mm) width.

All I know is that I treat mine like gold. I have an older 10' pair and a fairly new 12' pair (one of the last that Dutch sold) and I will never sell them. It really is the perfect hammock suspension spec with the least stretch.

There were, at one time, 1.9 and 2.2 Kevlar as well. There were reports of the 1.9 failing but not the 2.2. My preference has always been the 3.3.
    At one time my job consisted of tracking down Mil Spec components for Bid Specifications.

https://www.ballyribbon.com/mil-spec/kevlar-webbing

Baily Ribbon has the following 1" Kevlar Webbing weighing in at 3.4 grams per foot (0.36 oz/yd = 0.12 oz/foot) and (0.12 oz x 28.3495 grams/oz = 3.40)

BRM Pattern 2859
    MIL-T-87130
    Type 6 Class 6a

brm87130t6c6a.jpg

oh, haven't you heard? aramid fibers are technology patented somewhere near alfa centauri, and we apparently haven't paid for the intelectual rights. now that the patent expired, we had to either pay or stop (they have it backwards there, and in fact it makes more sense). (hey, it's in the spirit of the original post)

i find anything made from aramid fibers hard to source, even rope, which is more general purpose. i think i understand some of the reasons (well, i can speculate rather): for webbing made of pure aramid, particularly for hammock camping, i think the following factors come into play:

- such webbing we like (strength, weight, weave, width) is kind of specific, and not of much use for other applications, this means either make it in small batches (expensive, and we don't like expensive), or large batch but with slow turnaround (risky for the producer)

- if i was a cottage vendor, i wouldn't sell it even if i could source it. the reason is safety, kevlar has wonderful properties, but one major problem: it is very vulnerable to UV. so if not sheathed, it will sooner or later, depending on use, degrade and lose a lot of strength. the problem with this is the degradation is not detectable to the user, so you won't know until it fails, and asking hammock campers to replace their kevlar straps every 2 years, yeeeah, don't try that .

- to wrap up, they also seem pointless (so even more niche), now that dyneema is about as affordable, stronger, and so resistant to uv it can replace steel standing rigging on sailboats (and is said to be more durable even).

i know it might be quite far from what some would like to hear, but perhaps it makes sense to consider other options, if only for the sake of safety. i am a big fan of aramid fibers, and consider them the top for friction hitches and such, for rope work and safety (i mean, a friction hitch you can abseil on safely. nothing else can replace that), but for this purpose, perhaps it makes sense to use other options (and we are, let's be honest, spoiled for choice these days)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast