Banyan single v double

Considering the benefits and downsides of double layer Banyan bridge v single.

I can see the downsides as:
    • cost ($100)
    • weight/packability (187gms/6.5ounces)

I like the idea of double for overall protection (mozzies and wear and tear). The option for a pad is useful but my plan would be to use a UQ.

Other than the above reasons, is there any other major reasons why you would go single over double?
    Last edited by szlartibartfast; 07-20-2023 at 01:15.

As you may notice the cottage venders provide a range of different fabrics, this selections of fabrics compliments with a texture or feel to it, some fabrics smooth silky other’s more cotton.
    There are some with more stretch give and some support as firmer.

So there really is an open choice to select, however, it is important considering before purchasing taking note of your body weight, what your weight reflects on will be matched by the rated strengths of fabrics offered….

Enjoy the hang time greatness!

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    As far as weight and packability go, also keep in mind that you can use something besides Hexon 1.6 for the layers of a DL. I ordered a double layer Banyan with both layers in Hexon 1.0, for instance. It was a no-cost special order easily fulfilled by the very accommodating folks at DWG. Just be aware of the weight ratings of your fabrics.

I am 130 lbs and really prefer the texture and "give" of the lighter weight Hexon 1.2 and 1.0.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    szlartibartfast - your first post; welcome to the forum.

When I started out, I bought DL (double-layer) hammocks because I thought I'd be using my camping pad. Once I got an under quilt, I never used a pad again. And when I was using a pad with my first Hennessy Expedition, I was also using a UQP (under quilt protector - a "second" layer of nylon under the hammock) so I could put the pad in that.

I don't know the 'skeeter situation in oz, but you don't have to worry much about the mosquitos biting through your UQ.

These days I only buy single layer (SL) and I've never wished I had a DL instead. It only reason I'd get a double layer would be if my body weight was too close to the weight limit of the SL hammock.

The versatility of the DL - sleeve for a pad - looks good on paper, but I've never used that feature. However - I do more kayak camping than hiking/camping. So if your recreation takes you places where there's a high probability you'll have to go-to-ground, then you would probably bring along your ground pad rather than just the UQ.

As far as wear and tear - if you use your hammock so much that there is wear and tear, you will be a very happy person. Admittedly, I switch hammocks more than most. But many of my hammocks are 5 - 10 years old and show little or no "wear". Just don't drag it behind your car and it should last a very long time.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Another reason for DL is firmness. I happen to like a very firm hammock and DL is one way to achieve that. Others like more "give" in the fabric. Each to his/her own I guess.

Thanks. Good food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by szlartibartfast View Post
    Thanks. Good food for thought.
    Note the Ridgerunner in the "For Sale" subforum. With international shipping as part of the equation, I don't know if this is an option for you.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I switched from SL to DL for the firmness. I don’t feel the difference that much when I first get in.

I do also like the extra bug protection. I don’t worry that the UQ may have shifted a bit. Though I only worry about that when the bugs are really bad. So most of June and July around here.

using a pad in a double layer is not a thing in my opinion. Just pretend it does not exist because it doesn’t really work.

• + New Posts